White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
Call me when Uribe hits .308 for a full season.
Call me when Garciapara learns to play defense or hit at Wrigley. That's not likely to happen to a guy that turns 32 this year. In fact, he's been in steady decline over the last three years, following a HUGE decline after the 2000 season. There's a reason nobody would give him a solid, long-term deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxxos
Garciaparra is steady and solid.

It's true that Uribe is maddeningly inconsistent with the bat, but he's very consistent with the glove. Meanwhile, Garciapara is not nearly as consistent as you think. His defensive lapses at SS are well-known, along with his recent propensity to miss time with dubious injuries. Apparently less well-known are his extreme splits recently:

OPS v. RHP - .902
OPS v. LHP - .639
Home OPS - .803
Road OPS - .890
OPS at Fenway - .858
OPS at Wrigley - .758
Day OPS - .753 (that'll work out real well at Wrigley)
Night OPS - .917
April OPS - didn't play
May OPS - didn't play
June OPS - .656
July OPS - 1.029
August OPS - .843
September OPS - .818
October OPS - .607 (only 12 ABs)

That's quite different from what you'd expect from a "steady and solid" player.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hopefully I'll never have to.

But, please, call me when the White Sox get an actual power pitcher. That's a call I really want to get.
[ring, ring]

Hello HomeFish, the White Sox have acquired Billy Koch...

[hangs up]
Old 02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
There's no doubt that the cubs (and most other teams) have a large advantage over the Sox at 3B, but the "advantage" at SS is slim or none. Barring a reversion to pre-2004 performances, Garciapara and Uribe are about even offensively (.842 OPS v. .833 OPS). Garciapara is not likely to improve away from Fenway. Meanwhile, Uribe is a WAY better fielder at one of the two most defensive-oriented positions on the diamond.
Unfortunately maurice, some people think this game is all about hitting and defense is barely thought about. Like I said before, other than Derek Lee the cub infield is awful defensively. I don't think that much of their outfield either. Oh well, I guess if you're gonna give up a lot of runs you gotta score a lot of runs.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

HomeFish made this statement:

Quote:
Their infield and starting rotation is so much better than ours, though, that it's not even funny. We are absolutely pathetic in comparison.

Look out for that Dubois kid. He put up monster numbers in AAA for them; unlike with the White Sox, prospects for other teams sometimes work out.
I responded with the below, which only includes failed Cubbie prospects who made it to the major league level. Interesting that there was no response to these facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Did you forget to put that in teal?

The Cubs rotation is better, on paper. We'll see how it works out. I wouldn't say the Sox rotation is "pathetic." The Cardinals rotation was probably considered pathetic in comparison to the Cubs last year.

Dubois, maybe he'll be good. Who knows for certain at this point. Do all their prospects work? No. How about Choi, Hill, Steve Smyth, Kelton, Francis Beltran, Juan "Little Pedro" Cruz, Scott Chiasson, Courtney Duncan, Chad Meyers, Ruben Quevedo, Steve Rain, Joey Nation, Brendan Harris & Andy Pratt. These are from the last 4 years.
Then there is the list of players who've never made it to the Cubs, such as their Beanball Ben Christenson (sp?), Luis Montanez (the Cubs '00 #1 pick who's going backwards) and others.

Your dig on the Sox is oft repeated, but just because it's repeated doesn't make it true.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

But, please, call me when the White Sox get an actual power pitcher. That's a call I really want to get.
Take a look at the stats in my ****ing signature.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
Take a look at the stats in my ****ing signature.
Elaborating on S=D's comment, apparently HomeFish believes that a "real power pitcher" puts up #s like this:
Player A - 209.2 IP / 188K / 1.22 WHIP / 2.32 K/BB

Certainly not like this:
Player B - 210 IP / 184K / 1.22 WHIP / 2.88 K/BB

Player A: Carlos Zambrano. Player B: Freddy Garcia. Isn't it obvious?
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
Hendry tried to trade for his fat ass back in 2003 when Patheticson went down. Take a look at Jeromy's road splits from last season;

.244/.327/.448 14HR, 67 SO in 78 games.

Looks like Konerko on the road. Paulie only hit .239 with 12 homers on the road in 2004.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 PM
WSI Personality

Just read this on TSN.com. Burnitz to Cubs after Sosa deal completed. It's a 1 year deal for 5 mil, with a mutual option for 2006 for 6.5 mil. This was just posted 3 min ago.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Then there is the list of players who've never made it to the Cubs, such as their Beanball Ben Christenson (sp?), Luis Montanez (the Cubs '00 #1 pick who's going backwards) and others.
Oh come on. How can you forget Augie Ojeda? He's like the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of failed prospects for the accursed ones.

Quote:
Your dig on the Sox is oft repeated, but just because it's repeated doesn't make it true.
The fact is, Sox prospects tend to fail and tend to fail badly. Post-Buerhle, I can't think of a single successful one.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Elaborating on S=D's comment, apparently HomeFish believes that a "real power pitcher" puts up #s like this:
Player A - 209.2 IP / 188K / 1.22 WHIP / 2.32 K/BB

Certainly not like this:
Player B - 210 IP / 184K / 1.22 WHIP / 2.88 K/BB

Player A: Carlos Zambrano. Player B: Freddy Garcia. Isn't it obvious?
Yeah but Freddy didn't come from our minor league system!! He had to trade the Future Joe Jackson and Johnny Bench to get him.

Let's also not forget which pitcher pitches in the American League and the best hitter's park in the MLB.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
WSI High Priest

5 mil for Burnitz? That looks like 5 mil for Valentin! Plus, they have to pay most of Sosa's salary? The 2005 cubs is proof that spending money doesn't necessarily give you a great team.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
5 mil for Burnitz? That looks like 5 mil for Valentin! Plus, they have to pay most of Sosa's salary? The 2005 cubs is proof that spending money doesn't necessarily give you a great team.
That doesn't apply to cursed teams.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
So the net cost for Burnitz and Hairston comes to...carry the one...$22.3M.
Holy cow. I'm a bargain!!

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
So the net cost for Burnitz and Hairston comes to...carry the one...$22.3M.
Holy cow. I'm a bargain!!
Wow. It may have been better to keep Soso around for the year.