White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 AM
New At WSI

Baseball America's latest mock draft has the White Sox taking Nander De Sedas with the 4th pick.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...xLKjYGXVaAi.97

Edit: Seth Beer isn't even in their first round. If he's there in the 2nd round, I bet they grab him.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Baseball America's latest mock draft has the White Sox taking Nander De Sedas with the 4th pick.

Edit: Seth Beer isn't even in their first round. If he's there in the 2nd round, I bet they grab him.
They also make a case for why Brice Turang might still be around for them to pick at #4... a prospect I find very exciting.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

The only way I am okay with us drafting Beer is in the second round.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Are there any scouting grades available for these guys yet? I can't seem to find them via Google

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Are there any scouting grades available for these guys yet? I can't seem to find them via Google
Not that I've found. Those will come out later. There are a variety of early mock drafts and early listings but nothing detailed... and very little in agreement.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Not that I've found. Those will come out later. There are a variety of early mock drafts and early listings but nothing detailed... and very little in agreement.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. That makes me think that 2018 might actually be a really deep draft after all: if all the experts can't seem to agree on who's the best, who gets slotted where, and what team picks what player, then maybe the first half or so of the 1st Round really is pretty equal?

That means that whoever the Sox pick will probably be an impact player...and that makes me even more giddy.

I would like to see more middle IF depth, but something tells me that the Sox are going to target pitching first--with a focus on LHP especially--and LH power bats second.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

MiLB names Sox org all-stars. No real surprises....

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/eloy-...em/c-257631060

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-11-2017, 01:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that, too. That makes me think that 2018 might actually be a really deep draft after all: if all the experts can't seem to agree on who's the best, who gets slotted where, and what team picks what player, then maybe the first half or so of the 1st Round really is pretty equal?

That means that whoever the Sox pick will probably be an impact player...and that makes me even more giddy.

I would like to see more middle IF depth, but something tells me that the Sox are going to target pitching first--with a focus on LHP especially--and LH power bats second.
All reviews I've seen/heard say this is a very deep draft. "Best since 2011" is what I've heard.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

I would not put any stock in a mock draft today. You have an entire high school and college season to change things. These are young men whose bodies are going to mature and break down before June. One Tommy John or Torn ACL can change EVERYTHING. That said, they are a lot of fun to read and digest.

Seth Beer is still probably the most talented hitter in the draft. He is going to be all over the place in the next year because (1) He doesn't have a position and (2) he had no protection last year, which threw his numbers in a spiral.

Ultimately, if Beer bounces back, I am still fine taking him in round 1 early. Plenty of game changing 1b/DH types who didn't contribute much defensively. His Power and Eye combo are still elite elite, but we will see how his year goes. I just don't see any realistic way he slips into Round 2, barring something like him hitting .240 this year.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
All reviews I've seen/heard say this is a very deep draft. "Best since 2011" is what I've heard.
The Trout, Lindor, Springer, Gray draft?

Holy crap, are you trying to make me freak out with excitement 10 months before the draft even begins?!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would not put any stock in a mock draft today. You have an entire high school and college season to change things. These are young men whose bodies are going to mature and break down before June. One Tommy John or Torn ACL can change EVERYTHING. That said, they are a lot of fun to read and digest.

Seth Beer is still probably the most talented hitter in the draft. He is going to be all over the place in the next year because (1) He doesn't have a position and (2) he had no protection last year, which threw his numbers in a spiral.

Ultimately, if Beer bounces back, I am still fine taking him in round 1 early. Plenty of game changing 1b/DH types who didn't contribute much defensively. His Power and Eye combo are still elite elite, but we will see how his year goes. I just don't see any realistic way he slips into Round 2, barring something like him hitting .240 this year.
You just can't take a guy like Beer top 5 unless his bat projects like Griffey/Arod/Harper/Bryant/etc. And his is a clear level or two below where those guys were heading into the draft. For a team that will already fill their lineup with questionable defenders that may eventually need to move to first/DH (Burger, Collins, Eloy) it doesn't make a ton of sense. Not to mention that if they re-sign Abreu, he'll be occupying one of those spots. And if they decide to keep and extend Avi, they probably want to keep DH warm for him as his defense goes from bad to untenable as he ages.

There's a team out there for Beer, but the Sox aren't it.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
You just can't take a guy like Beer top 5 unless his bat projects like Griffey/Arod/Harper/Bryant/etc. And his is a clear level or two below where those guys were heading into the draft. For a team that will already fill their lineup with questionable defenders that may eventually need to move to first/DH (Burger, Collins, Eloy) it doesn't make a ton of sense. Not to mention that if they re-sign Abreu, he'll be occupying one of those spots. And if they decide to keep and extend Avi, they probably want to keep DH warm for him as his defense goes from bad to untenable as he ages.

There's a team out there for Beer, but the Sox aren't it.
Beer is unique in that he doesn't have a position. I agree. He isn't unathletic, he just is not athletic enough to be an MLB OF, but he is probably an average or better 1b with an outside shot to stick in the corner.

But this is a kid who, depending on the scouting report, is a 50-60 potential contact with 65-70 potential power and 60-70 plate discipline/eye and enough speed to swipe 10 bases.

Beer did a bad job of expanding his zone during the year last year, clearly frustrated by seeing nothing all year to hit. But his bad year was still a .478 OBP and a .600+ Slugging.

I am not saying you HAVE to pick Beer, but would you draft Miguel Cabrera over Stephen Drew or Tim Beckham?

To me, if I am sitting 4, and Turang is off the board, and Beer produces more like his freshman year (lets say, .340-.500-.650).... Screw the position, I am drafting the game changing bat. Prospects are too volatile to draft position over talent, and Beer could be worth 4-5 WAR on his bat alone. Look at what Cody Bellinger did this year. Beer COULD be that level of good. He was second in the nation in walks and top 20 in the nation in OBP in a down year.

As of Today, Beer isn't a top 5 pick, but if he has a good year next year, he very well could be. That was more my point.

Last edited by Domeshot17; 10-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm still against drafting him in the 1st myself for the reasons stated: impact bat or no, I don't think you draft another 1B/DH when there are already two more prospects in the system, but I would be more than happy to snag him if he's still on the board in the 2nd. Where is the Sox's first 2nd round pick? Depending on where they are--and as Dome said, if Beer has a good year--I might change my mind.

Something tells me that pitching should still come first if you draft that high, though...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm still against drafting him in the 1st myself for the reasons stated: impact bat or no, I don't think you draft another 1B/DH when there are already two more prospects in the system, but I would be more than happy to snag him if he's still on the board in the 2nd. Where is the Sox's first 2nd round pick? Depending on where they are--and as Dome said, if Beer has a good year--I might change my mind.

Something tells me that pitching should still come first if you draft that high, though...
I don't disagree with your line of thinking, and agree, you can't take him at 5 with just another GOOD year, but a really good to great, to me, he is right back in the mix.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Beer is unique in that he doesn't have a position. I agree. He isn't unathletic, he just is not athletic enough to be an MLB OF, but he is probably an average or better 1b with an outside shot to stick in the corner.

But this is a kid who, depending on the scouting report, is a 50-60 potential contact with 65-70 potential power and 60-70 plate discipline/eye and enough speed to swipe 10 bases.

Beer did a bad job of expanding his zone during the year last year, clearly frustrated by seeing nothing all year to hit. But his bad year was still a .478 OBP and a .600+ Slugging.

I am not saying you HAVE to pick Beer, but would you draft Miguel Cabrera over Stephen Drew or Tim Beckham?

To me, if I am sitting 4, and Turang is off the board, and Beer produces more like his freshman year (lets say, .340-.500-.650).... Screw the position, I am drafting the game changing bat. Prospects are too volatile to draft position over talent, and Beer could be worth 4-5 WAR on his bat alone. Look at what Cody Bellinger did this year. Beer COULD be that level of good. He was second in the nation in walks and top 20 in the nation in OBP in a down year.

As of Today, Beer isn't a top 5 pick, but if he has a good year next year, he very well could be. That was more my point.
:
"I'd draft Jared Mitchell."

Go Sox!!!