White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,888
Blog Entries: 52
Default Ozzie on the Postgame Show; More Adam Eaton; and Alonso Sucks Worse Than Adam Dunn

I couldn't find a thread where Ozzie's hiring was discussed. If anyone remembers, feel free to post link and we'll combine threads.

That said, I'm curious what other people think about his work on the pre and postgame shows on NBC Sports Chicago.

I think Frank is great. I can't believe how much he's grown into an excellent analyst. The other day he was talking about Leurys taking a bad swing with guys on base instead of waiting for a pitch to drive, resulting in a weak groundout. Bill Melton has always been solid. I've enjoyed Pods and Brian Anderson the couple of times I've seen them this year.

I think Leilia and Chuck are two of the most likable people in the Chicago media. They're terrific. They don't receive enough credit.

Ozzie makes me want to turn off the television. I've tried to be open, but I have an inability to understand most of what he's saying. What I can understand out of his mouth, I perceive to be said with a air of dishonesty. I don't enjoy listening to him at all.

Someone sell me on this guy as analyst, because I'm not feeling it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I couldn't find a thread where Ozzie's hiring was discussed. If anyone remembers, feel free to post link and we'll combine threads.

That said, I'm curious what other people think about his work on the pre and postgame shows on NBC Sports Chicago.

I think Frank is great. I can't believe how much he's grown into an excellent analyst. The other day he was talking about Leurys taking a bad swing with guys on base instead of waiting for a pitch to drive, resulting in a weak groundout. Bill Melton has always been solid. I've enjoyed Pods and Brian Anderson the couple of times I've seen them this year.

I think Leilia and Chuck are two of the most likable people in the Chicago media. They're terrific. They don't receive enough credit.

Ozzie makes me want to turn off the television. I've tried to be open, but I have an inability to understand most of what he's saying. What I can understand out of his mouth, I perceive to be said with a air of dishonesty. I don't enjoy listening to him at all.

Someone sell me on this guy as analyst, because I'm not feeling it.
My friends who are fluent in Spanish say that Ozzie is a pretty good analyst at ESPN Deportes. I haven't watched the postgame show recently this year so I can't attest to how good Frank Thomas is or isn't and I have never really thought that much of Melton (but I will give him credit for calling out the Sox when they deserve it).

One guy who I was blown away by was Paul Konerko. He did a GREAT job in the booth with Hawk.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I couldn't find a thread where Ozzie's hiring was discussed. If anyone remembers, feel free to post link and we'll combine threads.

That said, I'm curious what other people think about his work on the pre and postgame shows on NBC Sports Chicago.

I think Frank is great. I can't believe how much he's grown into an excellent analyst. The other day he was talking about Leurys taking a bad swing with guys on base instead of waiting for a pitch to drive, resulting in a weak groundout. Bill Melton has always been solid. I've enjoyed Pods and Brian Anderson the couple of times I've seen them this year.

I think Leilia and Chuck are two of the most likable people in the Chicago media. They're terrific. They don't receive enough credit.

Ozzie makes me want to turn off the television. I've tried to be open, but I have an inability to understand most of what he's saying. What I can understand out of his mouth, I perceive to be said with a air of dishonesty. I don't enjoy listening to him at all.

Someone sell me on this guy as analyst, because I'm not feeling it.
Completely agree. Ozzie is trying to reinvent himself and it's not working. He blasted TA about the whole bat flip thing when it happened and said TA needed to respect the game. This coming from a guy who quit on the Sox in his last year and allowed his kids to run their mouths - yet he is an authority on respecting the game? He brings very little value.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:02 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,822
Default

Hard to understand for me too. And hard to take seriously.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,937
Default

His roast of Adam Eaton yesterday was appointment television.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,596
Default

I can't really understand him but either way, I don't want to see him on TV being associated with the Sox after he quit on the team. The way he kept putting Dunn out there when he was having one of the worst seasons in baseball history to spite KW was low
__________________
Teacher Says, Every Time Brian Anderson Gets A Hit, An Angel Gets Its Wings.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
His roast of Adam Eaton yesterday was appointment television.
A root canal takes an appointment. Pretty much the same amount of pain in having to listen to Ozzie. I would imagine there is significantly more material to roast Ozzie.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,888
Blog Entries: 52
Default

I posted this before Ozzie’s comments on Eaton, but this is actually a good example to look at.

Guillen finished with the Sox in 2011 and was sort of blackballed for a few years, right? Eaton’s first year with the Sox was 2014.

Ozzie shouldn’t be speaking about this for a number of reasons. It’s classless.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM
WSox597 WSox597 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Illinois, Will County
Posts: 2,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I posted this before Ozzie’s comments on Eaton, but this is actually a good example to look at.

Guillen finished with the Sox in 2011 and was sort of blackballed for a few years, right? Eaton’s first year with the Sox was 2014.

Ozzie shouldn’t be speaking about this for a number of reasons. It’s classless.
Classless defines Guillen. I didn't like seeing him hired in any capacity by the White Sox again.

And he is hard to understand, although he is a bit better than he used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 AM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,438
Default

I think he's great.

I don't speak Spanish and I understand him fine.

Its his job to talk about things like the Eaton/Fraizer feud.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I think he's great.

I don't speak Spanish and I understand him fine.

Its his job to talk about things like the Eaton/Fraizer feud.
I speak Spanish and I don't understand him.
Sure it is his job, but he wasn't there when all of this happened so he can't say he knows for a "fact."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 AM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I speak Spanish and I don't understand him.
Sure it is his job, but he wasn't there when all of this happened so he can't say he knows for a "fact."
I just don't think he has been the only one who had nothing to do with the situation at the time who is commenting on this so it seems strange he is being vilified for it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,196
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I just don't think he has been the only one who had nothing to do with the situation at the time who is commenting on this so it seems strange he is being vilified for it.
He's also getting paid as a Sox Spokesperson. It's clear the team is less than happy with Eaton's locker room antics while he was here so it's not that shocking. In addition, I'm sure Ozzie has access to many players and coaches who remember the situation and were here at that time including Abreu.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM
JohnTucker0814 JohnTucker0814 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 4,762
Default

When Ozzie is on I don't watch, tbh. I used to love this guy, but I cannot stand his views right now. His views on Anderson were over the top, especially coming from this guy.

I do love everyone else. I love Frank, Leili, Chuck, Bill... but when Ozzie is on... I won't watch!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,200
Default

Something about Ozzie Guillen pontificating on a childish incident from three years go that involved a team he was not involved with is very Chicago White Sox.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.