Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM
WSI Guru

Default Ozzie on the Postgame Show; More Adam Eaton; and Alonso Sucks Worse Than Adam Dunn

I couldn't find a thread where Ozzie's hiring was discussed. If anyone remembers, feel free to post link and we'll combine threads.

That said, I'm curious what other people think about his work on the pre and postgame shows on NBC Sports Chicago.

I think Frank is great. I can't believe how much he's grown into an excellent analyst. The other day he was talking about Leurys taking a bad swing with guys on base instead of waiting for a pitch to drive, resulting in a weak groundout. Bill Melton has always been solid. I've enjoyed Pods and Brian Anderson the couple of times I've seen them this year.

I think Leilia and Chuck are two of the most likable people in the Chicago media. They're terrific. They don't receive enough credit.

Ozzie makes me want to turn off the television. I've tried to be open, but I have an inability to understand most of what he's saying. What I can understand out of his mouth, I perceive to be said with a air of dishonesty. I don't enjoy listening to him at all.

Someone sell me on this guy as analyst, because I'm not feeling it.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I couldn't find a thread where Ozzie's hiring was discussed. If anyone remembers, feel free to post link and we'll combine threads.

That said, I'm curious what other people think about his work on the pre and postgame shows on NBC Sports Chicago.

I think Frank is great. I can't believe how much he's grown into an excellent analyst. The other day he was talking about Leurys taking a bad swing with guys on base instead of waiting for a pitch to drive, resulting in a weak groundout. Bill Melton has always been solid. I've enjoyed Pods and Brian Anderson the couple of times I've seen them this year.

I think Leilia and Chuck are two of the most likable people in the Chicago media. They're terrific. They don't receive enough credit.

Ozzie makes me want to turn off the television. I've tried to be open, but I have an inability to understand most of what he's saying. What I can understand out of his mouth, I perceive to be said with a air of dishonesty. I don't enjoy listening to him at all.

My friends who are fluent in Spanish say that Ozzie is a pretty good analyst at ESPN Deportes. I haven't watched the postgame show recently this year so I can't attest to how good Frank Thomas is or isn't and I have never really thought that much of Melton (but I will give him credit for calling out the Sox when they deserve it).

One guy who I was blown away by was Paul Konerko. He did a GREAT job in the booth with Hawk.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Completely agree. Ozzie is trying to reinvent himself and it's not working. He blasted TA about the whole bat flip thing when it happened and said TA needed to respect the game. This coming from a guy who quit on the Sox in his last year and allowed his kids to run their mouths - yet he is an authority on respecting the game? He brings very little value.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Hard to understand for me too. And hard to take seriously.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

His roast of Adam Eaton yesterday was appointment television.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

I can't really understand him but either way, I don't want to see him on TV being associated with the Sox after he quit on the team. The way he kept putting Dunn out there when he was having one of the worst seasons in baseball history to spite KW was low
Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
His roast of Adam Eaton yesterday was appointment television.
A root canal takes an appointment. Pretty much the same amount of pain in having to listen to Ozzie. I would imagine there is significantly more material to roast Ozzie.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 PM
WSI Guru

I posted this before Ozzie’s comments on Eaton, but this is actually a good example to look at.

Guillen finished with the Sox in 2011 and was sort of blackballed for a few years, right? Eaton’s first year with the Sox was 2014.

Ozzie shouldn’t be speaking about this for a number of reasons. It’s classless.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I posted this before Ozzie’s comments on Eaton, but this is actually a good example to look at.

Guillen finished with the Sox in 2011 and was sort of blackballed for a few years, right? Eaton’s first year with the Sox was 2014.

Ozzie shouldn’t be speaking about this for a number of reasons. It’s classless.
Classless defines Guillen. I didn't like seeing him hired in any capacity by the White Sox again.

And he is hard to understand, although he is a bit better than he used to be.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 AM
WSI Personality

I think he's great.

I don't speak Spanish and I understand him fine.

Its his job to talk about things like the Eaton/Fraizer feud.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I think he's great.

I don't speak Spanish and I understand him fine.

Its his job to talk about things like the Eaton/Fraizer feud.
I speak Spanish and I don't understand him.
Sure it is his job, but he wasn't there when all of this happened so he can't say he knows for a "fact."
Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I speak Spanish and I don't understand him.
Sure it is his job, but he wasn't there when all of this happened so he can't say he knows for a "fact."
I just don't think he has been the only one who had nothing to do with the situation at the time who is commenting on this so it seems strange he is being vilified for it.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I just don't think he has been the only one who had nothing to do with the situation at the time who is commenting on this so it seems strange he is being vilified for it.
He's also getting paid as a Sox Spokesperson. It's clear the team is less than happy with Eaton's locker room antics while he was here so it's not that shocking. In addition, I'm sure Ozzie has access to many players and coaches who remember the situation and were here at that time including Abreu.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

When Ozzie is on I don't watch, tbh. I used to love this guy, but I cannot stand his views right now. His views on Anderson were over the top, especially coming from this guy.

I do love everyone else. I love Frank, Leili, Chuck, Bill... but when Ozzie is on... I won't watch!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Something about Ozzie Guillen pontificating on a childish incident from three years go that involved a team he was not involved with is very Chicago White Sox.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."