White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 PM
WSI Guru

Congrats Brewers, this made another day in the hospital very bearable!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Key to the game was Santana's double down the line past Bryant in the 8th because Joe says "I don't guard the line." Get out the pitchforks, Cubbies.
I'm totally glad he didn't guard the line. I'm also totally glad that Maddon hooked Quintana too early. The Brewers have historically struggled against him and Q seemed to find another gear in the middle innings. If there is one area this year's Cubs team is softer than years past, it's middle relief. The injuries to Strop and Morrow have taken their toll and have given high leverage innings to guys like Justin Wilson, Chavez, and even Jaime Garcia occasionally. They can be had in that area and the Brewers pounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Dodgers are postseason chumps. I probably would prefer the Rockies, but then again, I want the Rockies to beat the Dodgers.
The Dodgers beat the Cubs pretty handily last season in the NLCS. However, I like the idea of the Rockies right handed thunder (Trevor Story, Nolan Arenado, Ian Desmond, DJ Lemahieu, etc) getting a crack at Lester and a taxed Cubs bullpen. Really, it's one game and anything can happen. Both the Rockies and Dodgers are capable of ending the Cubs season tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Well done Brewers, well done.
Congrats to the Brewers. This is a playoff starved team and fanbase in a small market. What an incredible run to finish the season. It's also great to see a team being rewarded for spending some money to improve. They brought in Lorenzo Cain, traded for Yelich, and assumed some salary with Moustakas, Soria, and Schoop for the stretch drive. On a side note, they really have a ton of ex-Sox players on this Brewers team:

Joakim Soria
Xavier Cedeno
Dan Jennings
Tyler Saladino
Matt Albers
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
WSI Personality

The Rockies have a .272 BA against lefties compared to .249 against RHP, though their away BA is down .226 to home .287.

LAD - .240 against LHP vs. .255 against RHP.

I didn't know this but the Rockies were the 2nd best offense in the NL (Coors definitely helped).

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I'm totally glad he didn't guard the line. I'm also totally glad that Maddon hooked Quintana too early. The Brewers have historically struggled against him and Q seemed to find another gear in the middle innings. If there is one area this year's Cubs team is softer than years past, it's middle relief. The injuries to Strop and Morrow have taken their toll and have given high leverage innings to guys like Justin Wilson, Chavez, and even Jaime Garcia occasionally. They can be had in that area and the Brewers pounced.

The Dodgers beat the Cubs pretty handily last season in the NLCS. However, I like the idea of the Rockies right handed thunder (Trevor Story, Nolan Arenado, Ian Desmond, DJ Lemahieu, etc) getting a crack at Lester and a taxed Cubs bullpen. Really, it's one game and anything can happen. Both the Rockies and Dodgers are capable of ending the Cubs season tomorrow.

Congrats to the Brewers. This is a playoff starved team and fanbase in a small market. What an incredible run to finish the season. It's also great to see a team being rewarded for spending some money to improve. They brought in Lorenzo Cain, traded for Yelich, and assumed some salary with Moustakas, Soria, and Schoop for the stretch drive. On a side note, they really have a ton of ex-Sox players on this Brewers team:

Joakim Soria
Xavier Cedeno
Dan Jennings
Tyler Saladino
Matt Albers
With the exception of Cedeno, I’m quite sure that I remember someone here saying that no team that is serious about contending would have these guys on their roster.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 10-01-2018, 06:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
If the Cubs and/or the Yankees lose in their wild card games, we'll suddenly see more calls for MLB to review the concept in its entirety from the media. Book it.
The wails of pain from the Tribune will be especially loud and heart-rending, as under the old system the Cubs would be NL Central champions.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Congrats Brewers, this made another day in the hospital very bearable!

Get well soon, hopefully a celebration is order tomorrow night. C'mon Rockies.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Roll out the ****ing barrel!

Tomorrow...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Get well soon, hopefully a celebration is order tomorrow night. C'mon Rockies.
Go Rockies! Beat the Flubs!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

The Rockies are tossing out a pitcher who finished 17-7 with a low ERA. I like their chances big time to eliminate the Cubs TOMORROW!

States Visited: 49
Last Up: Hawaii in January
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
The Rockies are tossing out a pitcher who finished 17-7 with a low ERA. I like their chances big time to eliminate the Cubs TOMORROW!
Only thing that worries me is he is on short rest. Rockies have some real thumpers from the right side of the plate that can hopefully get to Lester early.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post

It just feels almost too good to be true that the Cubs season could end that quickly tonight....that all the hype ends (until spring) after this game. That would be too easy on us Sox fans. GO ROCKIES!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
It just feels almost too good to be true that the Cubs season could end that quickly tonight....that all the hype ends (until spring) after this game. That would be too easy on us Sox fans. GO ROCKIES!
I feel the baseball gods owe us one.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
The wails of pain from the Tribune will be especially loud and heart-rending, as under the old system the Cubs would be NL Central champions.

Are you sure about this? I don't think there has ever been a scenario where two teams with identical records did not play a game 163 for division championship.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Are you sure about this? I don't think there has ever been a scenario where two teams with identical records did not play a game 163 for division championship.
The internet provides all answers.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 PM
WSI Guru

Hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Cubs losing tonight, they are fresher than what has to be an exhausted Colorado team because of all the travel.