Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM
WSI Personality

Default Tank watch

This thread isn't going to be for everyone. If you're in the "the draft is a crap shoot, every game is important, we need to instill a winning culture" crowd, you aren't going to like what I have to say. But the reality of the situation is that the Sox are better off losing out in order to secure the #3 seed.

Right now the Sox have the third-worst record in the majors at 61-95. But the Tigers, Padres, and Marlins are all within two games. The difference between the 3 seed and the 6 seed could be a franchise-changing talent. I'm not saying it will be, but it could be. They've certainly got a better chance of drafting someone like that at 3 than at 6.

SSS had a good writeup today on where each team stands heading into the final week. I for one will be rooting for the Sox to lose these last few games, because I think it's in the best interest of the club long-term. There's really not much to gain by winning these last few games, and there could be a lot to lose.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
This thread isn't going to be for everyone. If you're in the "the draft is a crap shoot, every game is important, we need to instill a winning culture" crowd, you aren't going to like what I have to say. But the reality of the situation is that the Sox are better off losing out in order to secure the #3 seed.

Right now the Sox have the third-worst record in the majors at 61-95. But the Tigers, Padres, and Marlins are all within two games. The difference between the 3 seed and the 6 seed could be a franchise-changing talent. I'm not saying it will be, but it could be. They've certainly got a better chance of drafting someone like that at 3 than at 6.

SSS had a good writeup today on where each team stands heading into the final week. I for one will be rooting for the Sox to lose these last few games, because I think it's in the best interest of the club long-term. There's really not much to gain by winning these last few games, and there could be a lot to lose.

So you want to sit the regulars the last few games of the season?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I for one will be rooting for the Sox to lose these last few games, because I think it's in the best interest of the club long-term. There's really not much to gain by winning these last few games, and there could be a lot to lose.

Root away. After consulting with several scientists, religious leaders and a weatherman, I came to the conclusion a few years ago that the outcome of a game isn't effected by who I root for. I'm going to root for my team (because, you know, it's "my team"), but if you believe it's going to improve the Sox draft position by rooting against them, more power to you.

277-241.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
So you want to sit the regulars the last few games of the season?
Neh, not really. I don't like the message sent by actively manipulating the situation to lose games. I just want them to score fewer runs than the opposing team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Root away. After consulting with several scientists, religious leaders and a weatherman, I came to the conclusion a few years ago that the outcome of a game isn't effected by who I root for. I'm going to root for my team (because, you know, it's "my team"), but if you believe it's going to improve the Sox draft position by rooting against them, more power to you.
I don't believe that me rooting for or against the Sox has any bearing on their performance. By "rooting for them to lose", I simply mean that I will be happier after a loss than a win.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Is Viciedo back?

I have no problem with seeing a silver lining in how the Sox have been playing and noting the reality of what the Sox are "racing" for with the Padres, Marlins, and Tigers.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 AM
WSI Personality

With the way the White Sox draft, the 3rd pick back to the 6th pick won't matter. This is the problem, BIG TIME. The Sox draft history has not been too good lately. Carson Fulmer anyone?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
With the way the White Sox draft, the 3rd pick back to the 6th pick won't matter. This is the problem, BIG TIME. The Sox draft history has not been too good lately. Carson Fulmer anyone?
If anything, the Fulmer pick argues FOR tanking. The Sox have publicly said that they wanted to draft Benintendi if he was still on the board for the 8th pick, but the Red Sox took him with the 7th pick and we went with Fulmer.

But, hey at least we finished 2 games better than Boston in 2014. In your face, Red Sox!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It's a statistical fact that the higher you draft in the MLB 1st round, the higher the expected value of that player becomes. The Fulmer for Benitendi example is right on the mark. Although not as drastic, the White Sox were rumored to be high on Jo Adell in 2017. Whether or not they would have drafted him over Burger we'll never know.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Flat out wrong. You are completely ignoring the fact that the White Sox cheaped out in every season before the 2013 CBA changed the rules so that the Sox were basically forced to take the best player available.

Considering Carson Fulmer was the consensus top college pitcher in 2015 and carried his team into the College World Series finals, you can't go saying it was some sort of reach. Bad pick? Likely, but that's common in the first round of the draft.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This, I have trouble arguing with. The fact that the organization has great difficulty drafting really puts a wet towel on the rebuild enthusiasm.

That said, given that 0-6 or 6-0 the rest of the way doesn't mean jack as far as standings, getting third pick instead of 4-6 would be OK by me.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Neh, not really. I don't like the message sent by actively manipulating the situation to lose games. I just want them to score fewer runs than the opposing team.

So you want a full effort but have that effort fall short?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM
WSI High Priest

So to confirm -

People do not like the group of

Anderson
Rodon
Fulmer
Collins
Burdi
Burger
Madrigral

Can you make an actual projection of a bust on any of those yet (sans maybe Fulmer who still may end up a great high leverage RP).

Its a little early to tell with the Sox.

I am also in favor of drafting 3rd over 6th, outside of a bigger and more talented player pool to pick from, the extra money is helpful

Last edited by Domeshot17; 09-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
So to confirm -

People do not like the group of

Anderson
Rodon
Fulmer
Collins
Burdi
Burger
Madrigral

Can you make an actual projection of a bust on any of those yet (sans maybe Fulmer who still may end up a great high leverage RP).

Its a little early to tell with the Sox.
Good points, I think 2019 will a year where we need to see some bust out years from guys like Anderson, Rodon and Moncada and a few others. Hoping that Eloy has a ROY type year.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
...I will be happier after a loss than a win.
And I, for one, am always happier with a White Sox win than a loss, and it will be ever thus.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And I, for one, am always happier with a White Sox win than a loss, and it will be ever thus.