Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* 5/16/19 Squeezing the Life out of the Jays Postgamer

Covey did an admirable job, the bullpen was nails, and the bottom of the order came through in a big way with an 8th-inning rally.

Fun game to watch.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default *OFFICIAL* 5-16-19 Nice Team Win Postgamer

All those replays going our way and of course the other one that we weren't allowed would have, but they wouldn't review Abreu in the 7th. Still Sox found a way to win as a team tonight. Small ball galore and a solid outing from Covey and the bullpen.

Two games under again, can they finally get over the hump?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fun game to watch, letís win the next two and get to 500!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
All those replays going our way and of course the other one that we weren't allowed would have, but they wouldn't review Abreu in the 7th. Still Sox found a way to win as a team tonight. Small ball galore and a solid outing from Covey and the bullpen.

Two games under again, can they finally get over the hump?

I did not know this, but Benetti said the rule changed. Reviews after the initial challenge are only allowed in the 8th and 9th, not the 7th, 8th, and 9th.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Love, love, LOVE the squeeze in the 8th. Bottom of the order really came through tonight. And Covey pitched quite well.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I did not know this, but Benetti said the rule changed. Reviews after the initial challenge are only allowed in the 8th and 9th, not the 7th, 8th, and 9th.
I think it should be similar to football. If you win the first one you get another. I didn't know only one was allowed per game. I thought it was two but never paid much attention. Abreu was clearly safe which would have forced them to pitch to Yonder with the bases loaded and one away instead of walking Yonder and pitching to Castillo with the bases loaded and 2 away.

Rule could use tweaking.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 PM
WSI Guru

Maddening that the one time they need the replay to overturn an incorrect call, and they canít use it, while they waste minutes on other calls that clearly are not close. Glad it didnít hurt us.

Loving the way Tilson and Cordell are playing. Keep it up, boys.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think it should be similar to football. If you win the first one you get another. I didn't know only one was allowed per game. I thought it was two but never paid much attention. Abreu was clearly safe which would have forced them to pitch to Yonder with the bases loaded and one away instead of walking Yonder and pitching to Castillo with the bases loaded and 2 away.

Rule could use tweaking.
The White Sox lost their challenge on the Castillo strikeout.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The White Sox lost their challenge on the Castillo strikeout.
Oh then they did have two because the won the one for Cordell later didn't they? Am I nuts?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Oh then they did have two because the won the one for Cordell later didn't they? Am I nuts?
It was the 8th inning. They can ask the crew chief to review anything in the 8th and 9th innings. When replay initially launched, the 7th inning was included in that, but there was a rule change somewhere along the way.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
It was the 8th inning. They can ask the crew chief to review anything in the 8th and 9th innings. When replay initially launched, the 7th inning was included in that, but there was a rule change somewhere along the way.
Okay my timeline is flipped. I knew about the crew reviews late, but like you thought they started in the 7th and I thought a team got two not one.

Got it locked in now.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 PM

I just want to give a shoutout to Yolmer tonight too. He had some really hard hit baseballs didn't get through, but he also had a crucial hit, took a walk, scored on the squeeze and had an amazing night of defense making three excellent plays that I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 AM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Itís nice to have a closer.

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 13 NHL cities (Next: Carolina 10/26)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Covey should have gotten though six with a 2-1 lead, which would have given him a win. You can't pitch over an error when the error that should have ended the inning brings in the run. Fortunately, the error just ended up making the night more fun.

Any game where the difference is a successful suicide squeeze is a fun game. It looked like a safety squeeze wouldn't have brought home the run. And with Cordell having bunted foul on the first pitch of the at bat, I'm not sure how the Sox got away with it. No doubt some kid in the stands, maybe going to his first game with his father, saw it all happen in amazement. Then his father leaned over and said something like, that's the way to play baseball."

Of course, the game could have been crisper. In addition to the Blue Jays scoring on a White Sox error, the first White Sox run came in when Stroman failed to pitch over an error in the first.

Apparently the reviews slowed things down. I seriously believe that if baseball is concerned with the pace of the game and wants to make a pretense of fairness by offering challenges, requiring a challenge to be made before any instant replay can be made available, that is, forcing managers to go by what they see or what the players see, just as the umpires do when they make their calls, will speed up the process significantly.

I don't know what has happened to the Blue Jays. Looking at this team now, I keep seeing names of players who were supposed to develop into quality ballplayers. Justin Smoak, almost a decade ago, was a top-20 prospect who the Mariners pried way from the Rangers in a July Cliff Lee trade. Like Smoak, Randall Grichuck was a first-round pick, actually the outfielder the Angels picked before picking Trout. Billy McKinney was the second great prospect the Cubs got from the A's when they fleeced the A's to get baseball's top prospect at the time, by some accounts, Addison Russell for Jeff Samardzija. It's strange seeing them all end up starting for a team that really isn't very good.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Love, love, LOVE the squeeze in the 8th. Bottom of the order really came through tonight. And Covey pitched quite well.
Maybe, just maybe Renteria feels he can play for a go ahead run because has a closer that can shut down the opponent in a tight game.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004