Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

The injury to Adolfo stings the most I think. Hes also on the 40-man roster and out of options I think

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Won't have to wait too much longer for that not to be the case. After the draft, there's no pick loss.

I'm up for anything at this point.
True, and I would be absolutely fine if that happened. Same for Kimbrel, but I would imagine there are legitimate contenders thinking along the same lines and you know that the Sox wouldn't blow them away with money to make up the difference.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Rodon will not be back with the team before free agency. His White Sox career is essentially over.
Sox have him through '21, so his career here is not over.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Rodon will not be back with the team before free agency. His White Sox career is essentially over.
Maybe... Maybe not...

Would you pay big money for Carlos Rodon going forward? Not sure what happens next year with arbitration, but don't think the Sox will just cut him so he might get paid the same as this year to sit on his ass and rehab. Then at least one site says there will be a 4th year of arbitration in 2021. He'll be back for that season.

I doubt he wants to sign a deal at present past that date, but if the Sox offered him 4/50 with the contract back loaded he just might take it.

Edit: that contract number is too high in hindsight as he'll probably get ~$9M total over the final two years of arbitration so 4/35 makes it $13M/year for his first two years of FA.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 05-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Maybe... Maybe not...

Would you pay big money for Carlos Rodon going forward? Not sure what happens next year with arbitration, but don't think the Sox will just cut him so he might get paid the same as this year to sit on his ass and rehab. Then at least one site says there will be a 4th year of arbitration in 2021. He'll be back for that season.

I doubt he wants to sign a deal at present past that date, but if the Sox offered him 4/50 with the contract back loaded he just might take it.
Why on earth would the Sox even consider signing him again? He can't be counted on.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why on earth would the Sox even consider signing him again? He can't be counted on.
They have at least one more year of arbitration left when he should be healthy. Next year's contract shouldn't be more than this one given the body of work isn't anything to demand a big raise and he won't be pitching all year. Sox would be foolish to walk away from his arm at this point in time, IMO given the flashes he has shown. At the least they get a full year of him pitching for probably no more than this year again - or $4.2M in 2021. After that he's an UFA. My figure is probably too high actually given all that, because it would come out to $21M/year and he'd jump a that.

So maybe 4/35 including next year when he's out and the final year of arbitration with two more to follow at $14 apiece. That isn't much risk financially and offers Carlos the chance to prove he deserves a Chris Sale contract when the 4 years are up.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Maybe... Maybe not...

If the Sox offered him that deal, he'd jump at it.

They should not. I touched on this before, but the nature of the ligaments they need to replace makes his return to form unlikely. If they do offer him something, it should be a make good contract or something as a thank you.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
If the Sox offered him that deal, he'd jump at it.

They should not. I touched on this before, but the nature of the ligaments they need to replace makes his return to form unlikely. If they do offer him something, it should be a make good contract or something as a thank you.
Yeah I edited my post while you were typing this reply given he's unlikely to get more than $9M the next two years in arbitration because he'll be injured for one of them, 4/35 might still peak his interest.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah I edited my post while you were typing this reply given he's unlikely to get more than $9M the next two years in arbitration because he'll be injured for one of them, 4/35 might still peak his interest.
I still don't know that anyone else would give that to him if we didn't tender a contract.

I am not confident in his ability to return to form based on historicals from others with the same injury. Flexor mass tendon replacement usually leaves those in recovery with loss of feelilng and grip in the fingers. I'm not sure anyone has effectively returned and been able to pitch at a high level.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I still don't know that anyone else would give that to him if we didn't tender a contract.

I am not confident in his ability to return to form based on historicals from others with the same injury. Flexor mass tendon replacement usually leaves those in recovery with loss of feelilng and grip in the fingers. I'm not sure anyone has effectively returned and been able to pitch at a high level.
Is he having that surgery or just UCL/TJS?

Nate Jones is having FMT replacement surgery, but I can't find anything on Rodon other than TJS.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Is he having that surgery or just UCL/TJS?
I'm basing it off the original injury report, which was blood pooling in the flexor mass. It's probably that. I don't know enough to know if that could indicate a different injury entirely. But those tendons do not include the UCL.

The last guy to have flexor mass related TJ was Homer Bailey. His comeback didn't last very long.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
They have at least one more year of arbitration left when he should be healthy. Next year's contract shouldn't be more than this one given the body of work isn't anything to demand a big raise and he won't be pitching all year. Sox would be foolish to walk away from his arm at this point in time, IMO given the flashes he has shown. At the least they get a full year of him pitching for probably no more than this year again - or $4.2M in 2021. After that he's an UFA. My figure is probably too high actually given all that, because it would come out to $21M/year and he'd jump a that.

So maybe 4/35 including next year when he's out and the final year of arbitration with two more to follow at $14 apiece. That isn't much risk financially and offers Carlos the chance to prove he deserves a Chris Sale contract when the 4 years are up.

Put some sort of incentive clause into the contract, innings related. Dont make it a crazy amount. Then I agree.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Might want to make this an appreciation thread as well.

EDIT: On further examination, a depreciation thread would be more appropriate.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm basing it off the original injury report, which was blood pooling in the flexor mass. It's probably that. I don't know enough to know if that could indicate a different injury entirely. But those tendons do not include the UCL.

The last guy to have flexor mass related TJ was Homer Bailey. His comeback didn't last very long.
All I can find online is he's having TJS, contrast that to Nate Jones who had FMTS yesterday. Obviously there is no rush to make any contract offer until after the surgery later this week and if it is indeed FMTS then obviously they might simply DFA him before next years arbitration and let someone else deal with it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
All I can find online is he's having TJS, contrast that to Nate Jones who had FMTS yesterday. Obviously there is no rush to make any contract offer until after the surgery later this week and if it is indeed FMTS then obviously they might simply DFA him before next years arbitration and let someone else deal with it.
I just realized you've been using FMTS for flexor mass tendon surgery. Sorry, I'm getting myself all confused. A lot of people use TJS to mean any arm ligament, even though yes we should just be using it for the UCL.

This article talks about Rodon having an adema in his flexor mass on May 2nd. https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...-inflammation/

But...if he just had traditional TJS that is a much better thing.

Last edited by blandman; 05-13-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: grammar