GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I thought it had more to do with being two or three pitchers short in the starting rotation department than anything mental.
Yeah there are some physical blocks to remove. Offensively and defensively the team is coming together. The Bullpen even looks better and trending toward acceptable. There are enough issues with the SP though to cause a major hole.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-19-2019, 01:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
This team has seemingly has a mental block when it gets near .500. Time to change that.
I do not think the block is mental.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-19-2019, 01:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

First time I stepped into GRF since the name change, and I think it looks great. Surprised to see that Nacho Helmets are now $19...I remember when they were $12.

Giolito wasn’t all that efficient (about 50/50 on strikes and balls up to the fifth), but he did enough to keep the game in hand, and my favorite hit of the season has to be Anderson’s 200-foot swinging bunt that blooped into right for a single...even Timmy was like “how did that happen?”

Overall, a good game despite the weather. I’d love to get out there again soon.

Last Game: W 4-1 vs. TOR (5)
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 1

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I do not think the block is mental.
Your absolutely correct! The problem is a thin starting pitching staff!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Icon16

From yesterday's Sox Almanac on the center field scoreboard:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJMay18.jpg (55.7 KB, 34 views)

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W

Next Game Jun 15
Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I’m not worried about the Astros. If you don’t count their two separate 10-game win streaks in less than two months of play, they’re 4 games under .500. Color me unimpressed.
I'm guessing the color is teal?

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-1
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-242
Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Your absolutely correct! The problem is a thin starting pitching staff!
Which is not a huge concern for 2019.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I thought it had more to do with being two or three pitchers short in the starting rotation department than anything mental.
Ding ding ding.

The rotation is a joke right now.

It's tough to consistently win.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Giolito has really impressed me thus far exceeding my expectations and it’s been a welcome sight. I can only imagine how good the rebuild would be progressing had Koepech, Rodon and Dunning not gone down with Tommy John surgeries. Oh well all you can do in this game is go next man up and hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

PS: Did anybody catch the interview Jason and Steve did with Wilbur Wood yesterday? I thought it was pretty good. They touched on this game/day which I remember well.

https://salutemag.com/2017/05/29/wil...-memorial-day/
Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post

PS: Did anybody catch the interview Jason and Steve did with Wilbur Wood yesterday? I thought it was pretty good. They touched on this game/day which I remember well.

I did. Thought it was excellent.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Giolito has really impressed me thus far exceeding my expectations and it’s been a welcome sight. I can only imagine how good the rebuild would be progressing had Koepech, Rodon and Dunning not gone down with Tommy John surgeries. Oh well all you can do in this game is go next man up and hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Loved watching Wood pitch for the Sox! I still remember watching him pitch in a game in 1970. It was the year they had made a trade with the Angels and had traded away Ken Berry one of the best defensive center fielders in Sox history. They replaced him with a colorful character by the name of Jay Johnstone who wasn’t anywhere the outfielder Berry was. During this game the batter drove a line drive to centerfield and Johnstone miss played it and Wood with his hands on his hips just stared out at him. For some reason I always remember that.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
... It was the year they had made a trade with the Angels and had traded away Ken Berry one of the best defensive center fielders in Sox history.
Some of us remember him. ;)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Wilbur Wood led the league in relief appearances 1968-1970, and even held the record for appearances by a pitcher in a season. He averaged more than 1.5 innings per appearance in the days when closers came into games as early as the seventh. When Chuck Tanner was hired by the White Sox, the worst team in baseball at the time, he said that he wouldn't judge players by what he had done in the past. For all he knew, Tommy John, one of the league's best starters, would be relieving and Wood would be starting. Of course, before the 1972 season, John was traded in a package that brought Dick Allen after Wood was converted to a starter who led the league in starts 1972-1975, really up until Ron Leflore shattered his kneecap with a line drive in his seventh start 18 games into the 1976 season.

After Wood made the transition from the league's most active reliever to the league's most active starter, I waited in line to get Wood's autograph at Munster Lumber. I don't remember what he said when I asked him if he could sign autographs on two days' rest.

It's funny how many really good, likable players played on such a horrible team in 1970. Despite being the worst defensive teams in baseball, it traded two 1970 Gold Glove winners before the 1970 season. Luis Aparicio wen to Boston for Mike Andrews and Luis Alvarado, a deal that didn't work out well for the White Sox. Ken Berry went to the Angels in a package with Syd O'Brien and Billy Wynne for Tom Bradley, Tom Egan and Jay Johnstone.

Ken Berry didn't do much for the Angels, hitting just .221 with 3 home runs. The Angels had Mickey Rivers, although he wouldn't blossom until he was traded to the Yankees. On a Saturday afternoon in Old Comiskey in September, Berry was starting in left for the Angels with Rivers in center. Angels starter Tom Murphy walked Pat Kelly. Johnstone beat out a bunt single, which may have been a sacrifice attempt. Rich McKinney sacrificed the runners to second and third and Bill Melton walked to bring up Carlos May with the bases loaded and one out.

It was a pleasant Saturday afternoon, and I was playing catch with friends while listening the game on the radio. Harry Caray described what May hit as a slicing drive down the left field line (he might have said hooking, but May was a left-handed hitter). Berry didn't catch it. In his attempt, he went headfirst into the low wall, losing consciousness. May circled the bases with an inside-the-park grand slam. We ran inside to watch the replay.

Tom Bradley ended up going nine that day, beating the Angel 5-1 for his 14th win of his rookie season.

Berry was later traded to the Brewers, where he began the 1974 season, where he began the season as their DH, including a game at Old Comiskey and moved on to Cleveland, where he also DHed a few games. He retired to his home in Kansas, worked as the technical adviser for John Sayles' Eight Men Out (with a small speaking role as a fan heckling Joe Jackson, a White Sox outfielder, in what was supposed to be Old Comiskey Park), wrote a couple of children's books and was inducted into the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame.