GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
actually you are describing a safety squeeze.

If there are two outs, it's not a squeeze. A squeeze, by definition, offers the defense an out for a run. In a game-ending situation, the play is going to be at the plate because if the run scores, the out is irrelevant.

I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear. On a safety squeeze, the runner from third waits until the bunt is down before breaking for the plate. On a suicide squeeze, the runner breaks with the pitch, beating just about defensive play at the plate by the time the bunt is down or likely running into an out of the bunt is missed.

Ozuna had to beat out the bunt because it wasn't a squeeze. Until I looked at the box score, I had forgotten that it was Nick Swisher who Ozuna bunted against. I recall once where Guillen called for a suicide squeeze in a situation that would have ended a game. On April 28, 2008, Carlos Quentin was caught stealing home with one out in the bottom of the 10th in a 2-2 game against the Orioles when Brian Anderson missed an attempted suicide squeeze bunt. The game was suspended in the top of the 12th, and the Orioles ended up winning the game on August 25, 4-3 in 14 innings.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That year when Brent Lillibridge played out of his mind was really fun.
yeah, until Ozzie pinch hit Dunn for him with two outs in the ninth inning of a game with the Sox rallying to come back late. He had hit a homerun early in the game, while Dunn was in automatic strikeout mode. Ozzie was dead to me after that. Think that was the only game I attended that year, left with the impression Ozzie was intentionally sinking the team. By the after game radio call ins, I wasn't the only one. Sorry, that still burns me. I ****ing loved Ozzie, still makes me sad to think of how that all went down.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If there are two outs, it's not a squeeze. A squeeze, by definition, offers the defense an out for a run. In a game-ending situation, the play is going to be at the plate because if the run scores, the out is irrelevant.

I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear. On a safety squeeze, the runner from third waits until the bunt is down before breaking for the plate. On a suicide squeeze, the runner breaks with the pitch, beating just about defensive play at the plate by the time the bunt is down or likely running into an out of the bunt is missed.

Ozuna had to beat out the bunt because it wasn't a squeeze. Until I looked at the box score, I had forgotten that it was Nick Swisher who Ozuna bunted against. I recall once where Guillen called for a suicide squeeze in a situation that would have ended a game. On April 28, 2008, Carlos Quentin was caught stealing home with one out in the bottom of the 10th in a 2-2 game against the Orioles when Brian Anderson missed an attempted suicide squeeze bunt. The game was suspended in the top of the 12th, and the Orioles ended up winning the game on August 25, 4-3 in 14 innings.
I think that makeup game in Baltimore was when Quentin broke his wrist too.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think that makeup game in Baltimore was when Quentin broke his wrist too.
I could be wrong, bu I think Quentin broke his wrist in Cleveland when he "punched" his bat after missing a very hittable pitch. I think he fouled it off straight back over the catcher.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I never thought Buddy Bradford was much of a pinch-hitter, and in fact I see he hit under .200 during his career -- 19 hits in 119 at bats over 11 seasons. But he was 4-for-10 in 1972, and that was a memorable season. Terry Forster drove in a run with a hit off the (bullpen) bench in 1972. Wilbur Wood drove in the only run in a 1-0 complete-game shutout with a two-out seventh-inning single against Nolan Ryan in Anaheim in 1972. It was one of my favorite White Sox seasons. I could easily block out the rest of the 1970s.
Agreed. I fell in love with the White Sox in 1972 listening to the Oakland series on transistor radio out on the porch because the power had gone off. Favorite role players: Geoff Blum, Eddie Alvarado, Tony Graffanino, Jesse Crane.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Agreed. I fell in love with the White Sox in 1972 listening to the Oakland series on transistor radio out on the porch because the power had gone off. Favorite role players: Geoff Blum, Eddie Alvarado, Tony Graffanino, Jesse Crane.
Luis

277-241.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I could be wrong, bu I think Quentin broke his wrist in Cleveland when he "punched" his bat after missing a very hittable pitch. I think he fouled it off straight back over the catcher.
Correct. Cliff Lee was the pitcher.