White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,698
Default

The area is populated by life-long (emphasis on "long" since they are all 80+ years old) Yankee and Red Sox fans. Other than when their beloved are in town, why go? Good thing the Rays are not a NL team, Cub fans retire to Arizona.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:43 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 30,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'll never forget when Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. He said Florida was the greatest opportunity for MLB since the Dodgers moved to LA. The Rays are not only last in attendance, they are last in total revenue. The White Sox are 13th in total revenue according to Forbes magazine.
The city decided to build that dome anyway after they lost out on the Sox, right? And that's where the Rays play now.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,526
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The city decided to build that dome anyway after they lost out on the Sox, right? And that's where the Rays play now.
They went ahead with plans to build it even before the Sox came into the picture, after the Sox deal fell apart they went after the Giants and finally got the expansion Rays. Many in the Tampa area feel the the Rays would do way better with a new stadium up in the Channelside district where the Lightning are doing very well. The area in St. Pete that Tropicana Field is located is way too far south of the population base. St. Pete is also a virtual ghost town in the summer, seems like the town has a big snowbird population. One thing I have noticed is that the Rays draw much better for day games than night games. Why? I don't know.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,526
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Easy:

- A large percentage of people that live in Florida are not native to Florida

- There is much more fun stuff to do in Florida than watch a baseball team that you're not a fan of in the first place

- If you live in Tampa, good luck getting to St Pete at rush hour especially when there's no public transport on a large scale

- The venue is in a permanent dome in sunny Florida

- The venue is in a less than ideal neighborhood in St Pete


All those factors together equal ****ty attendance
Have you ever spent a summer in Florida, yes its hot and humid but you need a dome because it rains just about every day from June through September, not just showers but big thunderstorms with lots a lightning. They usually start around 3 pm, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later.

As far as not many natives, that is true but when we go to see the Sox in St Pete the Ray fans are very vocal, I remember back in 08 when they won the division for the first time that place was packed and with a noise level like the old Chicago Stadium. I live about an hour and 20 minutes away and if we lived in the TB area we would go to more games, not just when the Sox come to town. Ive adopted the Rays as my second favorite team and watch most of their games or the Marlins if the Rays are idle.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'll never forget when Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. He said Florida was the greatest opportunity for MLB since the Dodgers moved to LA. The Rays are not only last in attendance, they are last in total revenue. The White Sox are 13th in total revenue according to Forbes magazine.
Yes, but the man is such a visionary!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Steelrod Steelrod is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yes, but the man is such a visionary!
Teal?
Created TVS, college broadcast network, Sportvision pay tv (like we all do now), won an emmy for special. Ran CBS sports and put thing on tv that were never watched before. Some success, some failure. I believe that is what a visionary does!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Teal?
Created TVS, college broadcast network, Sportvision pay tv (like we all do now), won an emmy for special. Ran CBS sports and put thing on tv that were never watched before. Some success, some failure. I believe that is what a visionary does!
Yes, teal.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yes, teal.
I think Steelrod has a point, the reality of St. Petersburg notwithstanding. Charlie Finley was probably as visionary an owner as baseball had had in my lifetime, although his eye for talent and what went into winning only worked with draft and the reserve clause allowing him to build winning teams.

Without Finley, the American League probably wouldn't have the DH. The facts that no one adopted designated runners or three-ball walks and Finley had greater faith in Oakland than Kansas City as a baseball market doesn't negate everything else.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I think Steelrod has a point, the reality of St. Petersburg notwithstanding. Charlie Finley was probably as visionary an owner as baseball had had in my lifetime, although his eye for talent and what went into winning only worked with draft and the reserve clause allowing him to build winning teams.

Without Finley, the American League probably wouldn't have the DH. The facts that no one adopted designated runners or three-ball walks and Finley had greater faith in Oakland than Kansas City as a baseball market doesn't negate everything else.
Oh, no doubt Einhorn was a visionary for things like college football telecasts. I just find it frustrating as a Sox fan that his successful ideas usually had nothing to do with the Sox while his failures were the ideas he had with the Sox. I don't give a **** about college football and I am a diehard Sox fan. So, Einhorn's successes elsewhere mean nothing to me.

That's the basis of my reply. Not that he wasn't an innovator on certain things, it's that his other accomplishments are often used by his defenders when discussing things like the almost-move to St. Pete, which he reportedly was hoping would happen. In other words, he was supposedly the main proponent of moving the Sox to Fla, but...but....he's such a visionary!

If Eddie had his way, he'd be polishing his Emmy at the Trop while the Cubs would be Chicago's only MLB team.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Teal?
Created TVS, college broadcast network, Sportvision pay tv (like we all do now), won an emmy for special. Ran CBS sports and put thing on tv that were never watched before. Some success, some failure. I believe that is what a visionary does!
We're not all paying $35/month (in current-day dollars) for a Sox-Bulls-Hawks RSN. That would be a flop today just like it was in 1982.

I don't care what his apologists say, his track record with the Sox deserves criticism and the same cynicism with which he treated Sox fans back in the pay TV/move to Florida days.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I think Steelrod has a point, the reality of St. Petersburg notwithstanding. Charlie Finley was probably as visionary an owner as baseball had had in my lifetime, although his eye for talent and what went into winning only worked with draft and the reserve clause allowing him to build winning teams.

Without Finley, the American League probably wouldn't have the DH. The facts that no one adopted designated runners or three-ball walks and Finley had greater faith in Oakland than Kansas City as a baseball market doesn't negate everything else.
Don't forget Charlie's orange balls.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 1,510
Default

Einhorns Sportsvision was one of the biggest flops in TV history. The City of Chicago was not wired for cable at the time and you had to buy a box to see Sportsvision. It not only was expensive but the concept was crazy. Most people would rather watch the Cubs for free on a Superstation as opposed to buying a box to watch one channel. I always thought the failure of Sportsvision wounded Einhorn tremendously. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. If it would of been up to him the White Sox would be in St. Pete today. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond (St. Pete) rather than play second fiddle to the Cubs here in Chicago. After the White Sox stayed in Chicago he sold most of his shares in the White Sox to JR. He has rarely been seen in Chicago since 1990. I've always thought that Sportsvision and the building and handling of the new park were two of the biggest mistakes in the history of the franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Southsider101 Southsider101 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,441
Default

Montreal, please build a major league ball park!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 5,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Einhorns Sportsvision was one of the biggest flops in TV history. The City of Chicago was not wired for cable at the time and you had to buy a box to see Sportsvision. It not only was expensive but the concept was crazy. Most people would rather watch the Cubs for free on a Superstation as opposed to buying a box to watch one channel. I always thought the failure of Sportsvision wounded Einhorn tremendously. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. If it would of been up to him the White Sox would be in St. Pete today. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond (St. Pete) rather than play second fiddle to the Cubs here in Chicago. After the White Sox stayed in Chicago he sold most of his shares in the White Sox to JR. He has rarely been seen in Chicago since 1990. I've always thought that Sportsvision and the building and handling of the new park were two of the biggest mistakes in the history of the franchise.
They also tried to sell Sportsvision when Chicago and the entire nation were in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 27,012
Default

Per Buster Olney on Twitter, Maddon has stepped down. Suddenly, that team has a whole new identity.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.

Last edited by thomas35forever; 10-24-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.