White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The area is populated by life-long (emphasis on "long" since they are all 80+ years old) Yankee and Red Sox fans. Other than when their beloved are in town, why go? Good thing the Rays are not a NL team, Cub fans retire to Arizona.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:43 PM
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'll never forget when Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. He said Florida was the greatest opportunity for MLB since the Dodgers moved to LA. The Rays are not only last in attendance, they are last in total revenue. The White Sox are 13th in total revenue according to Forbes magazine.
The city decided to build that dome anyway after they lost out on the Sox, right? And that's where the Rays play now.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The city decided to build that dome anyway after they lost out on the Sox, right? And that's where the Rays play now.
They went ahead with plans to build it even before the Sox came into the picture, after the Sox deal fell apart they went after the Giants and finally got the expansion Rays. Many in the Tampa area feel the the Rays would do way better with a new stadium up in the Channelside district where the Lightning are doing very well. The area in St. Pete that Tropicana Field is located is way too far south of the population base. St. Pete is also a virtual ghost town in the summer, seems like the town has a big snowbird population. One thing I have noticed is that the Rays draw much better for day games than night games. Why? I don't know.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Easy:

- A large percentage of people that live in Florida are not native to Florida

- There is much more fun stuff to do in Florida than watch a baseball team that you're not a fan of in the first place

- If you live in Tampa, good luck getting to St Pete at rush hour especially when there's no public transport on a large scale

- The venue is in a permanent dome in sunny Florida

- The venue is in a less than ideal neighborhood in St Pete

All those factors together equal ****ty attendance
Have you ever spent a summer in Florida, yes its hot and humid but you need a dome because it rains just about every day from June through September, not just showers but big thunderstorms with lots a lightning. They usually start around 3 pm, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later.

As far as not many natives, that is true but when we go to see the Sox in St Pete the Ray fans are very vocal, I remember back in 08 when they won the division for the first time that place was packed and with a noise level like the old Chicago Stadium. I live about an hour and 20 minutes away and if we lived in the TB area we would go to more games, not just when the Sox come to town. Ive adopted the Rays as my second favorite team and watch most of their games or the Marlins if the Rays are idle.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'll never forget when Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. He said Florida was the greatest opportunity for MLB since the Dodgers moved to LA. The Rays are not only last in attendance, they are last in total revenue. The White Sox are 13th in total revenue according to Forbes magazine.
Yes, but the man is such a visionary!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yes, but the man is such a visionary!
Teal?
Created TVS, college broadcast network, Sportvision pay tv (like we all do now), won an emmy for special. Ran CBS sports and put thing on tv that were never watched before. Some success, some failure. I believe that is what a visionary does!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Teal?
Created TVS, college broadcast network, Sportvision pay tv (like we all do now), won an emmy for special. Ran CBS sports and put thing on tv that were never watched before. Some success, some failure. I believe that is what a visionary does!
Yes, teal.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yes, teal.
I think Steelrod has a point, the reality of St. Petersburg notwithstanding. Charlie Finley was probably as visionary an owner as baseball had had in my lifetime, although his eye for talent and what went into winning only worked with draft and the reserve clause allowing him to build winning teams.

Without Finley, the American League probably wouldn't have the DH. The facts that no one adopted designated runners or three-ball walks and Finley had greater faith in Oakland than Kansas City as a baseball market doesn't negate everything else.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I think Steelrod has a point, the reality of St. Petersburg notwithstanding. Charlie Finley was probably as visionary an owner as baseball had had in my lifetime, although his eye for talent and what went into winning only worked with draft and the reserve clause allowing him to build winning teams.

Without Finley, the American League probably wouldn't have the DH. The facts that no one adopted designated runners or three-ball walks and Finley had greater faith in Oakland than Kansas City as a baseball market doesn't negate everything else.
Oh, no doubt Einhorn was a visionary for things like college football telecasts. I just find it frustrating as a Sox fan that his successful ideas usually had nothing to do with the Sox while his failures were the ideas he had with the Sox. I don't give a **** about college football and I am a diehard Sox fan. So, Einhorn's successes elsewhere mean nothing to me.

That's the basis of my reply. Not that he wasn't an innovator on certain things, it's that his other accomplishments are often used by his defenders when discussing things like the almost-move to St. Pete, which he reportedly was hoping would happen. In other words, he was supposedly the main proponent of moving the Sox to Fla, but...but....he's such a visionary!

If Eddie had his way, he'd be polishing his Emmy at the Trop while the Cubs would be Chicago's only MLB team.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Teal?
We're not all paying $35/month (in current-day dollars) for a Sox-Bulls-Hawks RSN. That would be a flop today just like it was in 1982.

I don't care what his apologists say, his track record with the Sox deserves criticism and the same cynicism with which he treated Sox fans back in the pay TV/move to Florida days.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Don't forget Charlie's orange balls.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Banned

Einhorns Sportsvision was one of the biggest flops in TV history. The City of Chicago was not wired for cable at the time and you had to buy a box to see Sportsvision. It not only was expensive but the concept was crazy. Most people would rather watch the Cubs for free on a Superstation as opposed to buying a box to watch one channel. I always thought the failure of Sportsvision wounded Einhorn tremendously. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. If it would of been up to him the White Sox would be in St. Pete today. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond (St. Pete) rather than play second fiddle to the Cubs here in Chicago. After the White Sox stayed in Chicago he sold most of his shares in the White Sox to JR. He has rarely been seen in Chicago since 1990. I've always thought that Sportsvision and the building and handling of the new park were two of the biggest mistakes in the history of the franchise.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM
WSI Personality

Montreal, please build a major league ball park!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Einhorns Sportsvision was one of the biggest flops in TV history. The City of Chicago was not wired for cable at the time and you had to buy a box to see Sportsvision. It not only was expensive but the concept was crazy. Most people would rather watch the Cubs for free on a Superstation as opposed to buying a box to watch one channel. I always thought the failure of Sportsvision wounded Einhorn tremendously. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. If it would of been up to him the White Sox would be in St. Pete today. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond (St. Pete) rather than play second fiddle to the Cubs here in Chicago. After the White Sox stayed in Chicago he sold most of his shares in the White Sox to JR. He has rarely been seen in Chicago since 1990. I've always thought that Sportsvision and the building and handling of the new park were two of the biggest mistakes in the history of the franchise.
They also tried to sell Sportsvision when Chicago and the entire nation were in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
WSI Guru

Per Buster Olney on Twitter, Maddon has stepped down. Suddenly, that team has a whole new identity.

Last edited by thomas35forever; 10-24-2014 at 01:19 PM.