GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
I fully expect JR will flash the loyalty card and let Renteria run us into the ground.
You mean get the wheels off the ground.

We are way on the ground, maybe underground at this point.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
I'd be perfectly fine with Renteria if he'd just stop the freaking bunting.

That drives me crazy. Makes me think he knows nothing about situational baseball.
Bunting is what he should have done when he decided to pinch hit for one inept catcher to the other.

The one and only time bunting was justified he allowed Narvaez to ground out in the routine DP.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
When the time is right, my fingers are crossed that Joe Girardi is available.
Just a guess on my part, but I would think Girardi wouldn't make that move, even if TPTB would pony up for a manager with a track record.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Perhaps he's keeping the seat warm for Vizquel.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Perhaps he's keeping the seat warm for Vizquel.
I'd assume he'd be an okay manager.

He'd at least help the defense.
Maybe....
Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
I fully expect JR will flash the loyalty card and let Renteria run us into the ground.
I wasn't aware of Renteria ever playing infield for the Sox in the 90's, so I'm not sure why JR would be loyal to him.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
And you canít wash that stink off.

Rickyís my guy for now. The roster has five big-league regulars and 2-3 decent pitchers. Hall of Fame managers wouldnít be able to win regularly with this bunch.
My thought is similar. We arenít good and itís because weíre mostly a combination of young players and players who are holding a spot until another young guy is ready. We have 6 guys on the 25-man roster 30 or above. One of them, Shields, is only still with us because of his contract.

When we start seeing guys like Kopech, Jimenez, Basabe,
and Adolfo up on the main roster, I think weíll start seeing more excitement.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 AM
WSI Regular

This a team with limited talent. In two years when the rebuild is picking up steam only 5, maybe 6 players on the current roster will still be here (Anderson, Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, maybe Abreu and maybe Davidson).

So it would be easy to blame the worst record in MLB on Renteria. The problem is I can't tell if he's a good manager or not because he has very little to work with.

Will he be here when the rebuild kicks into high gear? I'm not sure yet whether he's the right guy or not. Time will tell.

I can assume Girardi will be managing somewhere else by then. Vizquel? Possibly.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo bat View Post
This a team with limited talent. In two years when the rebuild is picking up steam only 5, maybe 6 players on the current roster will still be here (Anderson, Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, maybe Abreu and maybe Davidson).

So it would be easy to blame the worst record in MLB on Renteria. The problem is I can't tell if he's a good manager or not because he has very little to work with.

Will he be here when the rebuild kicks into high gear? I'm not sure yet whether he's the right guy or not. Time will tell.

I can assume Girardi will be managing somewhere else by then. Vizquel? Possibly.
I agree with all of this, other than I think Yolmer Sanchez is also a future piece. Not a cornerstone. Not a star. But a decent role player.

Still, Renteria is basically managing the equivalent of a Triple-A team.

Even so, I think Vizquel is the manager-in-training. Unless another team hires him to be their big league manager, I think the Sox should have him:

Manage Birmingham in 2019
Manage Charlotte or serve as big league bench coach in 2020
Perhaps succeed Renteria in 2021

Hahn has publicly said 2020 was his target date for competing. If they donít compete in 2020, heíll have a built-in excuse to make Renteria the fall guy after the 2020 season. Iím not saying it would be fair to Renteria - I think 2021/2022 is a more realistic target for the window to open - but I could see Hahn making that decision.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
Just a guess on my part, but I would think Girardi wouldn't make that move, even if TPTB would pony up for a manager with a track record.
Especially if he's forced to retain Cooper, which is the one thing keeping us from hiring an established quality big league manager.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I agree with all of this, other than I think Yolmer Sanchez is also a future piece. Not a cornerstone. Not a star. But a decent role player.

Still, Renteria is basically managing the equivalent of a Triple-A team.

Even so, I think Vizquel is the manager-in-training. Unless another team hires him to be their big league manager, I think the Sox should have him:

Manage Birmingham in 2019
Manage Charlotte or serve as big league bench coach in 2020
Perhaps succeed Renteria in 2021

Hahn has publicly said 2020 was his target date for competing. If they donít compete in 2020, heíll have a built-in excuse to make Renteria the fall guy after the 2020 season. Iím not saying it would be fair to Renteria - I think 2021/2022 is a more realistic target for the window to open - but I could see Hahn making that decision.
I agree- especially the idea of moving up to Birmingham next season- if the White Sox are considering him- they will need to move quickly or someone else is going to grab him for a big league role.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM
WSI High Priest

When the time comes and they are ready to compete for the division, this topic can come back up. Until then, it is pointless. You need talent to win in sports. This applies to all levels, including my Kindergarten soccer league. You can lose with talent, but you can't win without it. They can play as fundamental sound baseball in the world. They are still going to struggle to win games and look good in general. Young players make mistakes all the time. The ones with talent can cover up their weaknesses more often than not. Ones without talent can't do that...
Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

The idea is to have a bad manager when the team is bad, then get a good manager when the team is good? Hey, I don't mind trying new ideas, but I don't know about that one.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI Personality

It matters not who the manager is, complaining will be heard. Ricky's doing a fine job with a young bunch.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

This thread is downright reactionary...

2014 PtC Score: 1