GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
You know how you get better at fixing those mistakes? By getting more reps. It's not like they're intentionally ****ing up just to spite the team or Renteria. It would be one thing if it was a roster filler vet on a one-year deal, or if it was straight-up not hustling (which I agree is a benchable offense), but for guys who are supposed to be the core of a good team in 2-3 years, I don't see how punishing mistakes by not letting them play is going to help solve those mistakes in the future.

Lip, usually I agree with what you have to say, but I have to strong disagree here. All the defensive metrics say that Anderson and Moncada have been more or less average with the glove this year, and we all know they have the potential to be better. I just don't think a straight-up benching sends the message that you want it to send. If benching these players (who, it would be good to remember, are still the exact same age as a lot of the kids just now coming out of the draft) is what it takes for them to know that errors and mental lapses are bad and they should try to avoid them, then I don't think they have much of a chance to improve upon it anyway.
Extended time on the bench will hurt a player's development.

Pulling them from a game for lack of hustle, or sitting them for a game or 2 to clear their head or receive a message, IMHO, helps development vs. hindering.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Guru

I'm fine with benching a young player if he's making the same mental mistake over and over again, or not hustling.

I totally disagree with the idea of benching young players over physical mistakes, such as a bad throw or kicking a ground ball.

The last thing I want is Anderson or Moncada playing tentatively because they are worried about making a mistake. Be aggressive out there, that's what I want.

Yes, the defense was a little rough this weekend, especially Saturday. But none of these things are benchable offenses, IMO. Guys don't need to "clear their heads." They need to play baseball and get better.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-11-2018, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Extended time on the bench will hurt a player's development.

Pulling them from a game for lack of hustle, or sitting them for a game or 2 to clear their head or receive a message, IMHO, helps development vs. hindering.
I understand the logic, my only question would be what "clearing the head" really means. In my experience with baseball (which, granted, does not extend to the professional ranks), getting pulled or sitting a game for kicking a ball or two doesn't result in productive self-reflection as much as it does a player (especially talented ones who have been the best on the field their whole life) being resentful and getting their head further up their own ass.

Hustling is something you can control 100% of the time, so go ahead and bench away for that. But in any circumstance, head clearing and extending thinking doesn't prevent physical errors from happening in the future - getting right back in the game and actually making the adjustments one needs to make does.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I understand the logic, my only question would be what "clearing the head" really means. In my experience with baseball (which, granted, does not extend to the professional ranks), getting pulled or sitting a game for kicking a ball or two doesn't result in productive self-reflection as much as it does a player (especially talented ones who have been the best on the field their whole life) being resentful and getting their head further up their own ass.

Hustling is something you can control 100% of the time, so go ahead and bench away for that. But in any circumstance, head clearing and extending thinking doesn't prevent physical errors from happening in the future - getting right back in the game and actually making the adjustments one needs to make does.
A one day sit to clear the head of a good hitter who is in a serious funk has been known to help, but never heard of one being used for mental lapses in the field.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
A one day sit to clear the head of a good hitter who is in a serious funk has been known to help, but never heard of one being used for mental lapses in the field.
Given the Sox propensity (ya' like that word? ) for being "baseball-stupid" the last 10 years or so, maybe it's worth trying. I recently found this quote from Looie Aparicio which I found interesting given the discussion:

"But the nine-time Gold Glove winner had already become frustrated by modern players' disregard for the game's fundamentals. "[They] don't think about baserunning, and they miss the cutoff men. I don't think they know the importance of bunting,"