White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
White Sox Top 10 Prospects per BA:

1) Carlos Rodon
2) Tim Anderson
3) Spencer Adams
4) Micah Johnson
5) Francellis Montas
6) Micker Adolfo
7) Tyler Danish
8) Trey Michalczewski
9) Courtney Hawkins
10) Rangel Ravelo

Link

Surprised Hawkins is down at 9. Unsure if that's more of a knock on his development or a testament to the resurgence of the minor league system.
I would probably move him up a little and move Micah down a little. People probably have a salty taste after the disastrous 2013 Courtney had. He rebounded nicely, but needs to keep building on that to repair his status, I would presume. We definitely upgraded our list compared to the past several years.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 11-10-2014, 02:03 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Surprised Hawkins is down at 9. Unsure if that's more of a knock on his development or a testament to the resurgence of the minor league system.
I don't know how they could knock his development, he improved in every statistical category. He was also playing in Adv-A Ball at a mere 20 years of age. The average age in the Carolina league is usually 23.

That top 10 list is very nice to see, Ravelo is the only guy on there that I see to be a low floor instead of high ceiling guy.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,338
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Surprised Hawkins is down at 9. Unsure if that's more of a knock on his development or a testament to the resurgence of the minor league system.
Both
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,338
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I don't know how they could knock his development, he improved in every statistical category. He was also playing in Adv-A Ball at a mere 20 years of age. The average age in the Carolina league is usually 23.

That top 10 list is very nice to see, Ravelo is the only guy on there that I see to be a low floor instead of high ceiling guy.
He improved but only to the tune of .249/.331/.450, which is fine, but not exactly blowing anyone's socks off. Oh yes, he also struck out in 28% of his PA. Unless he and the Sox can figure out these contact issues, it looks likely that he's headed for the dustbin.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

For anyone doubting the impact of Hahn, look at that draft and what he is doing to our system.

It it still a bottom 10 Farm in baseball, but that said, when it comes to org. rankings, being 20 is MILES ahead of being 28-30, where we were before. We actually have players now who might play in the big leagues and do well. We did not have much of that years ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 2,012
Default

For once in my life I'm actually excited to watch the upcoming MLB draft just to see what Rick Hahn does with the farm system.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh yes, he also struck out in 28% of his PA. Unless he and the Sox can figure out these contact issues, it looks likely that he's headed for the dustbin.
He has plenty of time to figure out the contact issues, he is miles ahead of most 20 year olds in terms of development.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 11-12-2014, 03:25 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh yes, he also struck out in 28% of his PA.
So? The Great and Wonderful Javy Baez (a/k/a The Answer) struck out in 1/3 of his at bats in AAA and now he is leading the Cubs to the World Series.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,338
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He has plenty of time to figure out the contact issues, he is miles ahead of most 20 year olds in terms of development.
You'll have to excuse me and other prognosticators if we're not confident in the Sox's ability to teach him that skill
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
White Sox Top 10 Prospects per BA:

1) Carlos Rodon
2) Tim Anderson
3) Spencer Adams
4) Micah Johnson
5) Francellis Montas
6) Micker Adolfo
7) Tyler Danish
8) Trey Michalczewski
9) Courtney Hawkins
10) Rangel Ravelo

Link

Surprised Hawkins is down at 9. Unsure if that's more of a knock on his development or a testament to the resurgence of the minor league system.
It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Micker Adolfo. From what i remember, he has a ton of potential but was only 16 when the Sox signed him.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
34 Inch Stick 34 Inch Stick is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
For anyone doubting the impact of Hahn, look at that draft and what he is doing to our system.

It it still a bottom 10 Farm in baseball, but that said, when it comes to org. rankings, being 20 is MILES ahead of being 28-30, where we were before. We actually have players now who might play in the big leagues and do well. We did not have much of that years ago.
high draft picks following bad seasons have also had an impact
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
high draft picks following bad seasons have also had an impact
Yes, but minimal. Rick has gotten away from this horrid, produce nothing approach of drafting football players and hoping super athletes can develop some tools. Even when he went for athletic upside in Anderson, he did so at SS, a position where Anderson could stick. He has completely shifted how we draft and who we target.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Yes, but minimal. Rick has gotten away from this horrid, produce nothing approach of drafting football players and hoping super athletes can develop some tools. Even when he went for athletic upside in Anderson, he did so at SS, a position where Anderson could stick. He has completely shifted how we draft and who we target.
I think his drafting has been a decent mix of polished guys, sabermetric guys and high upside guys. They don't draft players that are extremely raw. Spencer Adams, Andre Wheeler, Trey Michalczewski and Nick Basto are examples of high upside guys that could have a shot at the team down the line. Tyler Danish and Matt Cooper are examples of Hahn's sabermetrics background at work; until they give me a reason, I won't argue with Danish's numbers. Jake Peter, Danny Hayes and Jace Fry are polished players that can have specific roles for the team. I also like the way that he has brought balance to drafting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.