Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM
WSI Regular

Default Streaming White Sox games (locally)

Thinking about "cutting the chord" and switching to just a digital antenna and streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc).

Problem is i'm afraid there would be nowhere to stream Comcast games without a cable/satellite provider, correct? Is it possible to just pay for the Comcast/NBC sports app itself?

I'd hate for this to be the only reason I don't go through with this but if I'm forced into keeping cable strictly for White Sox games I'll have no choice.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Thinking about "cutting the chord" and switching to just a digital antenna and streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc).

Problem is i'm afraid there would be nowhere to stream Comcast games without a cable/satellite provider, correct? Is it possible to just pay for the Comcast/NBC sports app itself?

I'd hate for this to be the only reason I don't go through with this but if I'm forced into keeping cable strictly for White Sox games I'll have no choice.

Thanks for any input.

I believe all the streaming services (Hulu TV, Play Station Vue, Sling) have an agreement with NBC/Comcast Sports.

Only problem is you're not going to get an excellent HD feed as you would with Satellite or Cable. It will be good (near 720P), but not great. This is just my limited experience using ESPN App on a 4K 65" TV.

I've read that Play Station Vue offers the best picture quality from all the streaming services, will give this a try soon.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 PM
WSI Regular

[QUOTE=LoveYourSuit;3297145]I believe all the streaming services (Hulu TV, Play Station Vue, Sling) have an agreement with NBC/Comcast Sports.

Only problem is you're not going to get an excellent HD feed as you would with Satellite or Cable. It will be good (near 720P), but not great. This is just my limited experience using ESPN App on a 4K 65" TV.

I've read that Play Station Vue offers the best picture quality from all the streaming services,

Iíve used the NBC Sports app on roku - my concern/question is I believe you need to have Comcast through a cable provider to be able to stream.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Iíve used the NBC Sports app on roku - my concern/question is I believe you need to have Comcast through a cable provider to be able to stream.

Only if you want to use their standalone apps, yes they would be linked to your cable service provider (you'd need a login and password).

But these services I noted above are actual TV package services, just like the TV packages from Cable TV / Dish. You get to watch whatever is airing on those channels, including live sports games.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Only if you want to use their standalone apps, yes they would be linked to your cable service provider (you'd need a login and password).

But these services I noted above are actual TV package services, just like the TV packages from Cable TV / Dish. You get to watch whatever is airing on those channels, including live sports games.
So, help me out.

If that's true (and I'm not doubting you, I truly don't understand), how are these services able to keep their costs and their price to consumers so much lower than your normal cable package. More to the point, perhaps, how long before those services are as expensive as your average cable package.

Sorry if I'm hijacking here.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
So, help me out.

If that's true (and I'm not doubting you, I truly don't understand), how are these services able to keep their costs and their price to consumers so much lower than your normal cable package. More to the point, perhaps, how long before those services are as expensive as your average cable package.

Sorry if I'm hijacking here.
Now, I'm just getting started myself on the whole cord cutting thing. So all of this I'm figuring out as I go. And maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong about steaming games if you belong in the market eligible. (A few people have told me they are able to get the games this way)

As for the whole price thing on why it's cheaper, well it's a few things I'd guess:

-They are trying to cut into the market share of the big giants in AT&T, DirecTV, Comcast. So in order to compete they have to come in cheap. I think you will see some increases in prices down the line but don't expect much, since the people they are trying to market to are those cutting cord to cut cost. Makes no sense to cut cord if you only save say 20-25%

-Their cost of doing business is so much cheaper than the TV giants mentioned. Think about the costs involved for conventional TV: Cable lines, maintenance of those lines, installers, benefits, equipment, storage, multiple leased offices, state/local fees, etc.

-Quality. It's nowhere near close to the quality and ease of conventional Television.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Now, I'm just getting started myself on the whole cord cutting thing. So all of this I'm figuring out as I go. And maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong about steaming games if you belong in the market eligible. (A few people have told me they are able to get the games this way)

As for the whole price thing on why it's cheaper, well it's a few things I'd guess:

-They are trying to cut into the market share of the big giants in AT&T, DirecTV, Comcast. So in order to compete they have to come in cheap. I think you will see some increases in prices down the line but don't expect much, since the people they are trying to market to are those cutting cord to cut cost. Makes no sense to cut cord if you only save say 20-25%

-Their cost of doing business is so much cheaper than the TV giants mentioned. Think about the costs involved for conventional TV: Cable lines, maintenance of those lines, installers, benefits, equipment, storage, multiple leased offices, state/local fees, etc.

-Quality. It's nowhere near close to the quality and ease of conventional Television.
Just looked into the Hulu TV and you appear to be correct - they include NBC Sports Chicago in their ďlive TVĒ package. Wonderful news as it looks like I can proceed with ousting cable.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM
WSI Regular

Is there any way to view streaming Sox WGN games in the Chicago market, or is cable or antennae the only way to watch them?
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM
WSI Regular

I havenít figured it out. Have been testing the Hulu with local channels (40$/month) and WGN is really the only thing missing to make it near perfect. Will be looking into a digital antenna for ĎGN Sox games.

So- we are officially cutting the cord in my house!

I am willing to bet I will revisit this thread in mid-April with a list of **** I didnít take into consideration that causes me to go crawling back to Dish...
Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

We cut the cord recently also. I'm out of town so I stream games through MLB.tv. Only get blacked out for a few games a year. Shouldn't for any as I'm hours away from the nearest major league stadium but that's another story.

The important news for streaming is that I generally use a VPN that makes me look like I am elsewhere. MLB.tv works just fine with that and doesn't care. That should avoid the hometown blackout. Might not work forever, Netflix can tell I'm using a VPN and doesn't play for me unless I drop to a regular connection. Who knows if MLB will do the same some day but for now they don't.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

I have Sling; a decision we made that cut at least $50 a month off our bill. Right now itís $70 since we split the Sling with my sister-in-law. It had the couple channels we regularly watch and offered me the ability to watch most Sox games. I havenít had any problems watching games. Even if the WatchESPN app. Is acting up, our Sling does not.

Should YouTube TV become available in our area, we may consider switching to that.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I havenít figured it out. Have been testing the Hulu with local channels (40$/month) and WGN is really the only thing missing to make it near perfect. Will be looking into a digital antenna for ĎGN Sox games.

So- we are officially cutting the cord in my house!

I am willing to bet I will revisit this thread in mid-April with a list of **** I didnít take into consideration that causes me to go crawling back to Dish...
On paper, this should work, and it seems like a game changer. Guy at work was talking about watching the Blackhawks and Bulls on the NBC Sports App. He recently cut the cord and has Hulu plus live local channels. One caveat would be that you want to make sure you've got a decent streaming internet connection. Otherwise, this is pretty incredible. I'm locked into Directv for a bit, but this may be something to consider seriously within the next year.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
On paper, this should work, and it seems like a game changer. Guy at work was talking about watching the Blackhawks and Bulls on the NBC Sports App. He recently cut the cord and has Hulu plus live local channels. One caveat would be that you want to make sure you've got a decent streaming internet connection. Otherwise, this is pretty incredible. I'm locked into Directv for a bit, but this may be something to consider seriously within the next year.
How much are you actually going to save in an area with good competition?

My Internet is going to be about $60. I get a base package including home phone and TV for $119 I add things like HD package and HBO and my total bill is around $145. In the fall I add the Sports package for football but dump it the rest of the year. I then add on Netflix, but have to pay for sports packages through the Internet anyway as I don't live in Chicago. I can understand how this might be a good deal out in the boonies where you can't play the services against each other but I make one phone call a year to Comcast, threaten them with AT&T and they keep my prices the same. This year I didn't even have to fight for it, they just said, "same price? okay" and that was it. Took about 10 minutes.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-15-2018, 01:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
How much are you actually going to save in an area with good competition?

My Internet is going to be about $60. I get a base package including home phone and TV for $119 I add things like HD package and HBO and my total bill is around $145. In the fall I add the Sports package for football but dump it the rest of the year. I then add on Netflix, but have to pay for sports packages through the Internet anyway as I don't live in Chicago. I can understand how this might be a good deal out in the boonies where you can't play the services against each other but I make one phone call a year to Comcast, threaten them with AT&T and they keep my prices the same. This year I didn't even have to fight for it, they just said, "same price? okay" and that was it. Took about 10 minutes.
We went from $225 for cable/internet with AT&T per month to $85 with Comcast internet and YoutubeTV. We lost 4 channels that we watched, conveniently all 4 on separate tiers with AT&T. The answer was simple when I asked myself if those 4 channels were really worth $1600/year. With an antennae for WGN and WCIU, I didn't end up losing any of the sports I watch
Old 01-15-2018, 02:25 PM
WSI Prelate

For those looking to cut cord and get high quality HD over your home network via an OTA, check this device out:

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-quatro/

Retails for $149, I was able to get mine for $99 during the Holidays.

Best money you'll spend.

Basically all you need is one single Antenna in the home plugged into this device and then device goes to your network router. Then you have OTA TV on every possible device you have at home plugged/WiFI to the network. Smart TV, Amazon Stick, PS4, Android Phone, Tablets, I-Phone, etc.

It gives you 4 tuners, so 4 Antenna streams can be handled at one time with no downgrade to the quality. This also allows you to set up a DVR setup if you wish. I don't care for DVR myself, but some I know can't live without it.

This is for OTA channels only, not for cable. This is for those who want their standard local channels like CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, WGN, etc. They sell another device that can take in a Cable TV Card so you can stream Cable the same way and ditch all those receiver fees the Cable Co charges.

Last edited by LoveYourSuit; 01-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.