GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
And reports right now are that the Sox have made the best offer, maybe by far, for Machado. Crazy. But I trust Hahn.
And this is why I don't trust Hahn...worst GM in 50 years, when trying to win. He learned his craft from 1 man: Kenny Williams. The FO remains insular.
To pay a premium for a 9 month negotiation window is lunacy.
BTW, Machado had a 2.7 WAR last year....anyone notice? They didn't notice Shields' poor performance, or Frazier's horrible 2nd half before acquired....
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
And reports right now are that the Sox have made the best offer, maybe by far, for Machado. Crazy. But I trust Hahn.
If Hahn trades anything of value for Machado and doesn't get him to sign an extension, he should be fired. One season of Machado is useless to the Sox. So I'll assume the deal is contingent on an extension.

If he agrees to an extension, then I still don't like it if we're trading away a Sale type return to get him. Wait and see.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And this is why I don't trust Hahn...worst GM in 50 years, when trying to win. He learned his craft from 1 man: Kenny Williams. The FO remains insular.
BTW, Machado had a 2.7 WAR last year....anyone notice? They didn't notice Shields' poor performance, or Frazier's horrible 2nd half before acquired....
Wow.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
A bit rash, don't you think?

Let's not get bent out of shape over some simple rumors about the Sox and Machado. I would think (and perhaps pray) that the Sox would not make such a move unless they had a deal for a long term extension in place.

Look at Machado's 1st/2nd half stats and then look at his career numbers. One of those things is not like the others, I think we all know which one it is.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If Machado was on the Sox last year that would have been the 3rd best WAR on the team (Avi and Abreu were higher).

And you don't trust Hahn because he is going after a player who is coming into his prime whom he may be able to sign for 5-7 years? And it may or may not be for a 9 month negotiation window. Reports are they will try to have a window to work out a deal before agreeing to trade for him, or they could always trade for him and then trade him at the deadline. There are many different paths that could happen.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
A bit rash, don't you think?

Let's not get bent out of shape over some simple rumors about the Sox and Machado. I would think (and perhaps pray) that the Sox would not make such a move unless they had a deal for a long term extension in place.

Look at Machado's 1st/2nd half stats and then look at his career numbers. One of those things is not like the others, I think we all know which one it is.
The way his career numbers work out (over the last three years, anyway) is that he seems like how I remember how Alex Rios was, year-to-year, except Machado seems to be month-to-month: hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold. Except of course that his cold months still keeps him at an OPS of at least .777...save for September where he is .690.

So take that as you will.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM
WSI Guru

Orioles G.M. Dan Duquette was quoted as saying that giving a team a 72 hour window should they acquire Machado wouldn't be possible and in the best interest of the Orioles (paraphrasing)

But this came out at 10:10 MST:

@BNightengale
The #WhiteSox insist they have no intention to flip Manny Machado if they land him, but also believe other teams have now made better offers to #Orioles
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
If Machado was on the Sox last year that would have been the 3rd best WAR on the team (Avi and Abreu were higher).

And you don't trust Hahn because he is going after a player who is coming into his prime whom he may be able to sign for 5-7 years? And it may or may not be for a 9 month negotiation window. Reports are they will try to have a window to work out a deal before agreeing to trade for him, or they could always trade for him and then trade him at the deadline. There are many different paths that could happen.
Last year probably was an anomaly. But the thing is, we have a year to find out. Just offer the most money a year from now.

Last edited by Tragg; 12-14-2017 at 06:49 PM.