White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Minor Leagues thread Part V. "The Force Will Awaken"

Continue the discussion...

Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Sheets has now hit safely in 21 of his last 22 games. Rutherford has gotten is average back over .300. The Dash had 10 doubles in their game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Nice to see both guys doing well. Sheets started out slow, if I'm not mistaken, but he's been racking up the hits lately. I know the knock on both guys is that they've shown little HR power to date, but I'm willing to be patient and see if they develop more power over time.
Sheets has been on record stating that he is working on just trying to make contact instead of hitting home runs.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:13 PM
WSI Regular

Adolfo getting Tommy John.

This is comical at this point
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABP View Post
Adolfo getting Tommy John.

This is comical at this point
Honestly thought this was going to happen so not a big deal to me. He got a good number of at bats, performed well, and will continue developing next season. My only question is whether he starts in A plus or AA

What is comical is that Madrigal is fighting a sore hamstring, and the Sox are saying he should he back soon.

That just feels like a" we can't catch a break" moment.

Has any franchise had a season where so many top prospects have been injured?

Burger, Adolfo. Robert, Burdi, Dunning.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM
WSI Guru

Don't forget Hansen who missed a lot of time. And Cordell who broke a shoulder.

Regarding Adolfo is the time line different for position players as opposed to pitchers? If not won't he be out next year?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
What is comical is that Madrigal is fighting a sore hamstring, and the Sox are saying he should he back soon.

That just feels like a" we can't catch a break" moment.

Has any franchise had a season where so many top prospects have been injured?

Burger, Adolfo. Robert, Burdi, Dunning.
And the second round pick hasn't played a minute because of an injury he suffered while in college.

The "White Sox way" I guess.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM
WSI Guru

According to Scott Merkin the Sox hope to have him back around May 2019.

And don't forget the injuries to Jimenez, Robert and Puckett. The list seems endless.

I have a feeling in two months you are going to be reading an announcement that Dunning is going to have TJ surgery. Adolfo isn't a pitcher and yet "rest, rehab...etc" didn't seem to do him a damn bit of good. As soon as he started throwing again it went. They should have done the surgery three months ago.

They are trying the same thing with Dunning...maybe they'll have better luck but I'd be very surprised if they did.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 07-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
WSI Prelate

My grade the other day of a C- / D for "Rebuild Season 2018" had a lot to do with the injuries.

Put another one on the "out for the season" column with Adolfo.

We knew the guy was possibly getting TJ since April, but the news a few weeks back that a throwing program was in the works gave us some sense of hope. But no, this is a huge bubble burst yet again.

My goodness the list is long.

Burdi, Burger x 2, Cordell, Robert x 2, Eloy x 2, Hansen, Dunning, Adolfo.

ML trade pieces

Avi and Jones
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

And don't forget the injuries to Jimenez, Robert and Puckett. The list seems endless.

I have a feeling in two months you are going to be reading an announcement that Dunning is going to have TJ surgery. Adolfo isn't a pitcher and yet "rest, rehab...etc" didn't seem to do him a damn bit of good. As soon as he started throwing again it went. They should have done the surgery three months ago.

They are trying the same thing with Dunning...maybe they'll have better luck but I'd be very surprised if they did.
They would have lost this entire season of Adolfo had they immediately went ahead with surgery. Having him bat incurred no further damage to the site. He was able to accrue 300 ABs or so this year and performed very well. He'll be ready around May 1 next season, so he'd miss only a couple of weeks next year. I think they maximized this situation. In this case, he received highly valuable ABs and will see minimal DL time next year. He would have missed an entire season had he went ahead with surgery in March or April.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Regarding Adolfo is the time line different for position players as opposed to pitchers? If not won't he be out next year?
I believe I read that is indeed different for position players than pitchers. Hence the 8-10 month timeline for his return as opposed to 18 months as was the case with Burdi who underwent TJS around this time last year..
Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM
WSI Prelate

And yet, despite the injuries, lesser-known Sox prospects are picking up the slack, not only answering developmental questions affirmatively but doing so in such a way that is winning games.

When the heralded prospects return, they will face stiffer internal competition, which ought to raise the overall level of play.

Although no surgery is routine, the success rate for UCL repair means that none of the injuries anyone has suffered are career-threatening. Thereís no shoulder problems among pitchers, or back or hip problems. Even Burgerís doubly-torn Achilles at worst would move him off third base.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

What is up with Birmingham's hitters?

Since Eloy and Zavala moved up to Charlotte, Collins has had no help.

Flete is at .256, Michalczewski .252, Fisher .233, Mendick .228, Rose .193. Barnum is at .205.

Of the three callups, Booker is still hitting, at .284 (with his second AA homer tonight) but Basabe and Call are at .213 and .216 respectively.

I suppose the pitchers have to learn to make do with White Sox-style run support.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
What is up with Birmingham's hitters?

Since Eloy and Zavala moved up to Charlotte, Collins has had no help.

Flete is at .256, Michalczewski .252, Fisher .233, Mendick .228, Rose .193. Barnum is at .205.

Of the three callups, Booker is still hitting, at .284 (with his second AA homer tonight) but Basabe and Call are at .213 and .216 respectively.

I suppose the pitchers have to learn to make do with White Sox-style run support.
More than anything, it demonstrates that there are two different - albeit related - parts to the rebuild project.

The first was the acquisition of prospects via trade, all of which were at different stages of development. Giolito, Lopez, and Moncada were the closest to being ready and have arrived; subsequent groups who were at various levels of development are now mostly at AA or above (other than Rutherford, who was just one year removed from high school). The prospects acquired by trade, because they were scattered across different levels, were never going to impact one minor league team all at once.

The second was a more comprehensive redesign of the drafting and player development philosophy and practices. The first class was 2016, headlined by Collins, Burdi, and Hansen. They are at AA or above (or rehabbing, in Burdiís case), but most of the rest from 2016, and 2017, and now 2018, are still in Winston-Salem, Kannapolis, or lower.

Given that, I expect Birmingham to be more balanced next year, as lots of current Winston-Salem talent matriculates.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

If he got the surgery three months ago, he would have missed the entire season and not got 300 plus at-bats. His season is a bright spot, imo.

It sucks, but that would have been dumb. Sorry.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
They would have lost this entire season of Adolfo had they immediately went ahead with surgery. Having him bat incurred no further damage to the site. He was able to accrue 300 ABs or so this year and performed very well. He'll be ready around May 1 next season, so he'd miss only a couple of weeks next year. I think they maximized this situation. In this case, he received highly valuable ABs and will see minimal DL time next year. He would have missed an entire season had he went ahead with surgery in March or April.
Completely agree- I think they minimized the damage to his development with the approach they took with Micker.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Closed Thread