White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
How many years away do we think Burger is from the majors? Do Davidson/Yolmer hold down the hot corner until Burger is ready? Also, its pretty clear Hahn is going to make a run at Machado next winter. If they could pull off bringing him in that would be great. All reports says Machado wants to play SS going forward. Wonder where that would leave Anderson if Hahn could pull it off. Maybe TA could play the outfield or be a trade candidate.

Obviously a long shot at this point but I'm interested in seeing what Burger's future holds.
I don't think we have a large enough sample size to know about Burger. Advanced college bats generally move quickly. He started off on fire, tailed off a bit towards the end, and ended up with decent but not great numbers for us last year. That could simply be that he tired after playing a longer season than he ever has before or it could be a sign that his bat is not as advanced as perhaps was thought.

Personally I think he moves fairly quickly. A+ and AA this year. AAA and perhaps Chicago next year. Certainly by 2020 I expect him to be in Chicago. However, there are still doubts about his ability to stick at 3B and I don't think we'll really know that for another year or two.

And yes, I think Sanchez holds down third until Burger or someone else comes along. Davidson is a DH at best.

I'd be happy to sign Machado to be my 3B regardless of what Burger does. I would have second thoughts about signing him to be my SS when I already have one of those and his price tag will be so high. I doubt the Sox will be able to sign him anyhow. I am usually against signing those huge, long term contracts to begin with. They always bite the team in the ass in the end (often sooner than that but always in the end). But this is a rare occasion where I would consider front loading a big contract for someone like Machado. The Sox payroll situation makes that a very attractive possibility and would leave them more ability to dump him on someone else late in the contract if it goes the way such contracts usually go.

Last edited by Andrew C White; 01-18-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
How many years away do we think Burger is from the majors? Do Davidson/Yolmer hold down the hot corner until Burger is ready? Also, its pretty clear Hahn is going to make a run at Machado next winter. If they could pull off bringing him in that would be great. All reports says Machado wants to play SS going forward. Wonder where that would leave Anderson if Hahn could pull it off. Maybe TA could play the outfield or be a trade candidate.

Obviously a long shot at this point but I'm interested in seeing what Burger's future holds.
I'm eager to see how both Burger and Collins progress this year.

Of course, I'm eager to see how all of our talent progresses in 2018, but if Burger and Collins can stick at their positions and become solid MLB starters at 3B and C, that would be huge for this franchise going forward.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Here's a Sox organization depth chart from South Side Sox:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/1/...white-sox-team
That's an encouraging depth chart. Yes, there are some positions that we don't have a ton of depth, but overall it looks promising. That starting pitching depth looks really good.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Top 10 First Basemen released. No Sox on the list, and I'll add that is one weak group of prospects.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=1b

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-20-2018, 05:30 PM
WSI Regular

It's pretty weak. Whose our best 1B prospect? Sheets?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
It's pretty weak. Whose our best 1B prospect? Sheets?
Sheets or Gillaspie. Hard to say which. This year will probably tell us. Gillaspie had a bad year last year. If he turns it around this year then he may still be a prospective major leaguer. If he doesn't then he's likely not a major leaguer at all. Sheets had a decent initial half year last year but didn't wow anyone. This year will give us a much better idea of what caliber player he might be.

Other than that you have Rose that we picked up from the Cubs and Dan Palka but I doubt they amount to much. After that there are two teenagers in rookie ball: Franklin Reyes at Great Falls and Sam Abbott in Arizona. Who knows what they might amount to.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:58 AM
WSI Prelate

The top 10 2B prospect list is out. No surprise that no Sox players show up on this list since Moncada has graduated to the majors.
https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-sc...?tid=151437456
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM
WSI Regular

BA has released their latest top 100 prospects: Link

4. Eloy Jiminez

11. Michael Kopech

57. Alec Hansen

58. Luis Robert

82. Dane Dunning

Looks fair to me. Note: don't look at #9 if you don't want to be upset this morning
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

4. Eloy Jiminez

11. Michael Kopech

57. Alec Hansen

58. Luis Robert

82. Dane Dunning

Looks fair to me. Note: don't look at #9 if you don't want to be upset this morning
I know that BA isn't MLB, but seeing Hansen go from, what, #90? to #57 is well deserved and good to see.

EDIT: I looked at #9, and I should not have looked at #9. :\

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I know that BA isn't MLB, but seeing Hansen go from, what, #90? to #57 is well deserved and good to see.

EDIT: I looked at #9, and I should not have looked at #9. :\
I know....Can you imagine the system with him in it as well??

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I know....Can you imagine the system with him in it as well??
I imagine that Anderson would be playing CF right now--if not outright traded--if the aforementioned #9 was still in the system. Oh well.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM
WSI Prelate

I knew Collins and Burger were not making the list. But seeing that Alec Hansen is the lone guy we've drafted on this list tells you we should still have big concerns in our drafting and scouting.

Fulmer wasn't making this list if he was eligible. And Moncada, Giollito, Lopez were acquired by trade.

Sox still need to draft better. Plain and simple.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

I am not overly upset about Tatis. Sure that trade was brutal and won't work out in the least for us. But he is very volatile and young.

I would LOVE to have him still, but I would be far more upset about it if I felt like he, for sure, was headed to the bigs.

Overall, encouraging. Collins falling out of their top 100 seemed like it was coming. I feel like we have a lot of guys in the 101-149 range.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

4. Eloy Jiminez

11. Michael Kopech

57. Alec Hansen

58. Luis Robert

82. Dane Dunning

I think we all need to be shielded from #9.

Not a bad listing. I like Hansen and Robert more than that but can understand their not being listed higher yet. If both perform as expected this year I think we can expect to see them fly up the list.

I'm surprised at Ohtani being #2. I thought he was supposed to be God in a baseball uniform?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am not overly upset about Tatis. Sure that trade was brutal and won't work out in the least for us. But he is very volatile and young.

I would LOVE to have him still, but I would be far more upset about it if I felt like he, for sure, was headed to the bigs.
I know I've mentioned this a few times, I'm convinced had this burn of a trade not happened, nothing would have ever triggered the full blown rebuild they decided to go with currently.