White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 AM
WSI Personality

Default *Official* 2019-2020 Hot Stove Part 2

https://twitter.com/timothyrryder/st...211633666?s=21

A Mets writer is claiming the Sox are the highest bidder for Wheeler at the moment. Though I can't find anybody else backing it up so take it with a grain of salt.

Even if we don't end up with him I like this aggressiveness.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Regarding Mohoney’s suggestion for Moustakas: Does anyone think that Moustakas could play an acceptable RF?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's never played an inning of outfield in his MLB career, I can't imagine that he'd be very effective in RF.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-24-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Regular

Forget Mous....I say swallow your pride and take Avi Garcia. He's cheap, improved his hitting, has gun-of-an-arm, and can cover the ground pretty well.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Forget Mous....I say swallow your pride and take Avi Garcia. He's cheap, improved his hitting, has gun-of-an-arm, and can cover the ground pretty well.

Avi's injury history is extensive, I don't think a long term contract would be worth it. Considering that Robert will be on the big league roster soon I don't think the White Sox are handing out a long term deal to a FA outfielder.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Regarding Mohoney’s suggestion for Moustakas: Does anyone think that Moustakas could play an acceptable RF?
RF? No. Too difficult to make those throws without adequate experience.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
We still would need a starting RF anyway.

I’m not talking about using Moose as an everyday OF. I’m talking about him shouldering some of the burden in LF, because I don’t see how he possibly can be worse out there than Eloy. Ideally, Eloy would be getting more and more DH appearances with each passing year, because whenever the team is finally ready to be honest with themselves, he will become the primary DH. In the meantime, it would be advantageous to have 2 or 3 options—who actually can hit—to sub him out in late innings and against tough RHP. Hence the reason I would like to see if Madrigal and Moose can learn the position.

Moose or Villar at $10-12 million and JBJ at $10-12 million would round out this position player group quite nicely. Since this team is hell-bent on Eloy being the primary LF, JBJ in CF and Robert in RF would at least make it more palatable. All of those guys also provide much-needed LH power to the lineup. Engel can be the 4th OF, as long as his plate appearances are kept to a minimum.

Teams like the Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, and Yankees are assembling rosters with starting-caliber players on the bench. They also have premier guys like Cody Bellinger and Kris Bryant playing multiple positions. With McCann taking a back seat to Grandal, we may be on the way to doing that ourselves.

All that would be left would be getting some pitching, which the team plans on doing anyway.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Avi's injury history is extensive, I don't think a long term contract would be worth it. Considering that Robert will be on the big league roster soon I don't think the White Sox are handing out a long term deal to a FA outfielder.
That’s because Betts is getting one next winter.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
We still would need a starting RF anyway.

I’m not talking about using Moose as an everyday OF. I’m talking about him shouldering some of the burden in LF, because I don’t see how he possibly can be worse out there than Eloy. Ideally, Eloy would be getting more and more DH appearances with each passing year, because whenever the team is finally ready to be honest with themselves, he will become the primary DH. In the meantime, it would be advantageous to have 2 or 3 options—who actually can hit—to sub him out in late innings and against tough RHP. Hence the reason I would like to see if Madrigal and Moose can learn the position.

Moose or Villar at $10-12 million and JBJ at $10-12 million would round out this position player group quite nicely. Since this team is hell-bent on Eloy being the primary LF, JBJ in CF and Robert in RF would at least make it more palatable. All of those guys also provide much-needed LH power to the lineup. Engel can be the 4th OF, as long as his plate appearances are kept to a minimum.

Teams like the Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, and Yankees are assembling rosters with starting-caliber players on the bench. They also have premier guys like Cody Bellinger and Kris Bryant playing multiple positions. With McCann taking a back seat to Grandal, we may be on the way to doing that ourselves.

All that would be left would be getting some pitching, which the team plans on doing anyway.
I'm not sure you can count on a guy who has never played LF in his career to be better than a guy who has been doing it his whole life, even if Eloy's defense has been shaky. Also, with the Abreu extension, I can't see Eloy moving to DH until after 2022.

That said, if the Sox really are going to pump money into 2020 I agree with you that Moose would be an upgrade over Yolmer or Leury. It's a long shot it actually happens though, when there are so many more pressing needs than upgrading the bench.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://twitter.com/timothyrryder/st...211633666?s=21

A Mets writer is claiming the Sox are the highest bidder for Wheeler at the moment. Though I can't find anybody else backing it up so take it with a grain of salt.

Even if we don't end up with him I like this aggressiveness.
Nice to see. Heyman confirms the Sox interest, and also says that Wheeler wants to give the mets the opportunity to match any offer, though the Mets look ready to move on.

I still think the Sox should at least entertain the idea of Cole/Strasburg who are much safer bets going forward. That said if both of those guys are intent on dragging things out until Feb/March, then I see why they would prefer to go after Wheeler now and not risk going home empty-handed.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I'm not sure you can count on a guy who has never played LF in his career to be better than a guy who has been doing it his whole life, even if Eloy's defense has been shaky. Also, with the Abreu extension, I can't see Eloy moving to DH until after 2022.

That said, if the Sox really are going to pump money into 2020 I agree with you that Moose would be an upgrade over Yolmer or Leury. It's a long shot it actually happens though, when there are so many more pressing needs than upgrading the bench.
“Shaky?” He is among the very worst defenders the game has to offer.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
“Shaky?” He is among the very worst defenders the game has to offer.
The team believes he's a better defender than what he showed last year. I'm sure you and many others on this board will disagree, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they've seen a lot more of Eloy than any of the posters here have, so I'm going to remain optimistic that he can improve.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what any of us think - they just tied up the DH spot in 2022 with Abreu so I can't imagine them really transitioning Eloy out of LF until afterwards.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
The team believes he's a better defender than what he showed last year. I'm sure you and many others on this board will disagree, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they've seen a lot more of Eloy than any of the posters here have, so I'm going to remain optimistic that he can improve.
I agree with Mohoney; he's as bad as it gets. Maybe he can get better but that's only if he works at it.

Go ahead, surprise me kid.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I agree with Mohoney; he's as bad as it gets. Maybe he can get better but that's only if he works at it.

Go ahead, surprise me kid.
He has played the outfield his entire life, and this is the best he has been able to do thus far.

I was hoping the stubbornness would go away with the spending restrictions. Alas, it doesn’t look likely. Renteria is still managing, Eloy is still in LF, Jerry is still dictating personnel decisions...
Old 11-24-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
He has played the outfield his entire life, and this is the best he has been able to do thus far....
This is exactly what gets me. Either Eloy has no talent for the OF or his coaches have failed him.

On another point, does anyone know if Luis Robert has a "right-fielders" arm? I think he has played CF in the minors.
Closed Thread