White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
No one care what Merkin says or what some reporter from some must read sports rag has to say. How about we let the off-season progress and see what other FAs sign?
I only care what Merkin says if it parrots the views of the team.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I only care what Merkin says if it parrots the views of the team.
Which is a matter of speculation.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:37 AM
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
The only part that you quoted that was direct from Hahn is "We know we have more work to do." It was Merkin doing the hedging, and I don't really care what he thinks. I expect a 9-figure deal for a top SP to be coming.

And no, I still haven't given up hope on Cole or Strasburg. I think the Sox are willing to spend the money. However, I don't think they want this dragging out into March and risk getting stuck with nothing, so if both of those guys are going to insist on waiting it out, then I could see them moving on to the Wheeler/Bumgartner/Ryu tier.
And I wouldn’t blame them if they did. Make an offer, wait for a certain amount of time for a reply, then move on it it is not responded to or it is rejected. There are other moves to be made.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-22-2019, 09:07 AM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lake in the Hills
Posts: 5,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Come on. Merkin works for the team. He’s basically state media tor Glorious Leader Reinsdorf.
What, you think JR sat down with Merkin and told him "hey, this is the only move we're making this offseason so write your story in a way where it leaves open the possibility of another move even though we won't make one". Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe anyone from the organization even spoke to Merkin before he wrote anything? Because if you do, then you're getting into conspiracy theory territory and that would actually explain a lot about some of the posts being made.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Which is a matter of speculation.
It is. Just like everything else this offseason.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
What, you think JR sat down with Merkin and told him "hey, this is the only move we're making this offseason so write your story in a way where it leaves open the possibility of another move even though we won't make one". Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe anyone from the organization even spoke to Merkin before he wrote anything? Because if you do, then you're getting into conspiracy theory territory and that would actually explain a lot about some of the posts being made.
Yeah, I think everything he writes is part of a coordinated marketing effort with someone high up the food chain. I see lots and lots of talking points being floated by him before the team officially uses them. Garfein and Duber at NBC Sports Chicago do the exact same thing.

I think word turds like “cannonball signing,” “Grandal is inpressed with the pitching staff as-is,” and “Ricky Renteria was a factor in Grandal’s decision,” all leave easy excuses if:

1) Grandal ends up being the biggest augment that this rebuild ever sees

2) Renteria ends up being the only manager this rebuild ever sees
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,116
Default

Members of the media have long been known to be front office tools and apologists. Dave Kaplan is absolutely a mouthpiece for the Chicago Cubs. Anybody who thinks the White Sox don't do the same thing have got to be kidding themselves. Chris Rongey was a huge Kenny Williams guy.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It is. Just like everything else this offseason.
What isn't speculation is that they signed Grandal for the biggest contract in team history, he fills an obvious need on the team, it is very early in the offseason, and we know for certain that Hahn said "We know we have more work to do." Those non-speculative facts are why some are expressing some surprise that a few would express negativity about the signing.

Last edited by asindc; 11-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, I think everything he writes is part of a coordinated marketing effort with someone high up the food chain. I see lots and lots of talking points being floated by him before the team officially uses them. Garfein and Duber at NBC Sports Chicago do the exact same thing.

I think word turds like “cannonball signing,” “Grandal is inpressed with the pitching staff as-is,” and “Ricky Renteria was a factor in Grandal’s decision,” all leave easy excuses if:

1) Grandal ends up being the biggest augment that this rebuild ever sees

2) Renteria ends up being the only manager this rebuild ever sees
You want to use flashy words so that people actually click on your articles, pretty standard stuff across all media/writers in all of sports.

Renteria being the only manager through the whole rebuild could also mean the team was a huge success during that time.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
What isn't speculation is that they signed Grandal for the biggest contract in team history, he fills an obvious need on the team, it is very early in the offseason and we know for certain that Hahn said "We know we have more work to do." Those non-speculative facts are why some are expressing some surprise that a few would express negativity about the signing.
It’s not negativity to the signing. It’s negativity to the spin after the signing.

Merkin actually had the nerve to write that “this offseason has already been a success” because this signing was made. That worries the hell out of me.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Renteria being the only manager through the whole rebuild could also mean the team was a huge success during that time.
He’s been a manager long enough where there is no excuse for him to still be this bad at in-game decisions and lineup construction.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It’s not negativity to the signing. It’s negativity to the spin after the signing.

Merkin actually had the nerve to write that “this offseason has already been a success” because this signing was made. That worries the hell out of me.
As another poster implied earlier, so what?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
As another poster implied earlier, so what?
Read the rest of the sentence. It worries me to hear bull**** like that coming from team-owned media sources.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lake in the Hills
Posts: 5,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, I think everything he writes is part of a coordinated marketing effort with someone high up the food chain. I see lots and lots of talking points being floated by him before the team officially uses them. Garfein and Duber at NBC Sports Chicago do the exact same thing.

I think word turds like “cannonball signing,” “Grandal is inpressed with the pitching staff as-is,” and “Ricky Renteria was a factor in Grandal’s decision,” all leave easy excuses if:

1) Grandal ends up being the biggest augment that this rebuild ever sees

2) Renteria ends up being the only manager this rebuild ever sees
Ok, so you really do think that before any of those guys write anything they are all getting together with the FO and coordinating talking points and then they publish their stories. You do understand how ridiculous that sounds, right?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
He’s been a manager long enough where there is no excuse for him to still be this bad at in-game decisions and lineup construction.
I'm not arguing that he's a good in-game manager, because I don't think he is. I'm saying that 6 years from now, if he is still the manager, there is a decent chance that it means the rebuild was a success.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.