White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
No one care what Merkin says or what some reporter from some must read sports rag has to say. How about we let the off-season progress and see what other FAs sign?
I only care what Merkin says if it parrots the views of the team.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I only care what Merkin says if it parrots the views of the team.
Which is a matter of speculation.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-22-2019, 08:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
The only part that you quoted that was direct from Hahn is "We know we have more work to do." It was Merkin doing the hedging, and I don't really care what he thinks. I expect a 9-figure deal for a top SP to be coming.

And no, I still haven't given up hope on Cole or Strasburg. I think the Sox are willing to spend the money. However, I don't think they want this dragging out into March and risk getting stuck with nothing, so if both of those guys are going to insist on waiting it out, then I could see them moving on to the Wheeler/Bumgartner/Ryu tier.
And I wouldn’t blame them if they did. Make an offer, wait for a certain amount of time for a reply, then move on it it is not responded to or it is rejected. There are other moves to be made.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Come on. Merkin works for the team. He’s basically state media tor Glorious Leader Reinsdorf.
What, you think JR sat down with Merkin and told him "hey, this is the only move we're making this offseason so write your story in a way where it leaves open the possibility of another move even though we won't make one". Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe anyone from the organization even spoke to Merkin before he wrote anything? Because if you do, then you're getting into conspiracy theory territory and that would actually explain a lot about some of the posts being made.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Which is a matter of speculation.
It is. Just like everything else this offseason.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
What, you think JR sat down with Merkin and told him "hey, this is the only move we're making this offseason so write your story in a way where it leaves open the possibility of another move even though we won't make one". Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe anyone from the organization even spoke to Merkin before he wrote anything? Because if you do, then you're getting into conspiracy theory territory and that would actually explain a lot about some of the posts being made.
Yeah, I think everything he writes is part of a coordinated marketing effort with someone high up the food chain. I see lots and lots of talking points being floated by him before the team officially uses them. Garfein and Duber at NBC Sports Chicago do the exact same thing.

I think word turds like “cannonball signing,” “Grandal is inpressed with the pitching staff as-is,” and “Ricky Renteria was a factor in Grandal’s decision,” all leave easy excuses if:

1) Grandal ends up being the biggest augment that this rebuild ever sees

2) Renteria ends up being the only manager this rebuild ever sees
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

Members of the media have long been known to be front office tools and apologists. Dave Kaplan is absolutely a mouthpiece for the Chicago Cubs. Anybody who thinks the White Sox don't do the same thing have got to be kidding themselves. Chris Rongey was a huge Kenny Williams guy.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It is. Just like everything else this offseason.
What isn't speculation is that they signed Grandal for the biggest contract in team history, he fills an obvious need on the team, it is very early in the offseason, and we know for certain that Hahn said "We know we have more work to do." Those non-speculative facts are why some are expressing some surprise that a few would express negativity about the signing.

Last edited by asindc; 11-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, I think everything he writes is part of a coordinated marketing effort with someone high up the food chain. I see lots and lots of talking points being floated by him before the team officially uses them. Garfein and Duber at NBC Sports Chicago do the exact same thing.

I think word turds like “cannonball signing,” “Grandal is inpressed with the pitching staff as-is,” and “Ricky Renteria was a factor in Grandal’s decision,” all leave easy excuses if:

You want to use flashy words so that people actually click on your articles, pretty standard stuff across all media/writers in all of sports.

Renteria being the only manager through the whole rebuild could also mean the team was a huge success during that time.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
What isn't speculation is that they signed Grandal for the biggest contract in team history, he fills an obvious need on the team, it is very early in the offseason and we know for certain that Hahn said "We know we have more work to do." Those non-speculative facts are why some are expressing some surprise that a few would express negativity about the signing.
It’s not negativity to the signing. It’s negativity to the spin after the signing.

Merkin actually had the nerve to write that “this offseason has already been a success” because this signing was made. That worries the hell out of me.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Renteria being the only manager through the whole rebuild could also mean the team was a huge success during that time.
He’s been a manager long enough where there is no excuse for him to still be this bad at in-game decisions and lineup construction.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It’s not negativity to the signing. It’s negativity to the spin after the signing.

Merkin actually had the nerve to write that “this offseason has already been a success” because this signing was made. That worries the hell out of me.
As another poster implied earlier, so what?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As another poster implied earlier, so what?
Read the rest of the sentence. It worries me to hear bull**** like that coming from team-owned media sources.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Ok, so you really do think that before any of those guys write anything they are all getting together with the FO and coordinating talking points and then they publish their stories. You do understand how ridiculous that sounds, right?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He’s been a manager long enough where there is no excuse for him to still be this bad at in-game decisions and lineup construction.
I'm not arguing that he's a good in-game manager, because I don't think he is. I'm saying that 6 years from now, if he is still the manager, there is a decent chance that it means the rebuild was a success.