White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Let's just go with the Holocene Calendar and get rid of negative years.
Live and let live without the stigma of years. Just be...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 PM
WSI Guru

Herb Lawrence just mentioned on Twitter that at 743-876, only the Marlins and Padres had a worse record than the Sox throughout this decade. That's a major nosedive from all the success they had in the 2000s.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Herb Lawrence just mentioned on Twitter that at 743-876, only the Marlins and Padres had a worse record than the Sox throughout this decade. That's a major nosedive from all the success they had in the 2000s.
This is pathetic, but hardly surprising.

The decade featured an unbroken string of bad managers (Guillen, Ventura, Renteria). I don't think any other team would have had only 3 managers over a decade of futility, so the problem starts with bad ownership.

Which Hall of Fame players did we have on the South Side? Chris Sale is basically it -- and that's assuming he can stay healthy and build up his career totals. We had Vizquel at the very end of his career. We had some cameos from players who are unlikely to make it, Manny and Andruw and Jimmy Rollins. And we can hold out hope for some of the "rebuild" kids.

What will the teams of the 2010s be remembered for? Being embarrassingly bad at both baseball and public relations. No postseason games or even close calls. A couple of personal achievements (Humber's perfect game, Anderson's batting title). No major awards. Plus we had Guillen in full ******* mode, Ventura being completely unqualified for the job, Dunn forgetting how to hit, the LaRoche fiasco, the arrow-pointing-down logo, Sale and Eaton cutting up the jerseys, and the pitching coach criticizing us.

It's a miracle any of us are still White Sox fans.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
This is pathetic, but hardly surprising.

The decade featured an unbroken string of bad managers (Guillen, Ventura, Renteria). I don't think any other team would have had only 3 managers over a decade of futility, so the problem starts with bad ownership.

Which Hall of Fame players did we have on the South Side? Chris Sale is basically it -- and that's assuming he can stay healthy and build up his career totals. We had Vizquel at the very end of his career. We had some cameos from players who are unlikely to make it, Manny and Andruw and Jimmy Rollins. And we can hold out hope for some of the "rebuild" kids.

What will the teams of the 2010s be remembered for? Being embarrassingly bad at both baseball and public relations. No postseason games or even close calls. A couple of personal achievements (Humber's perfect game, Anderson's batting title). No major awards. Plus we had Guillen in full ******* mode, Ventura being completely unqualified for the job, Dunn forgetting how to hit, the LaRoche fiasco, the arrow-pointing-down logo, Sale and Eaton cutting up the jerseys, and the pitching coach criticizing us.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt a vast majority of Sox fans give a crap about the Guaranteed Rate logo let alone view it as one of the top fiascos of this decade.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's not a miracle it's loyalty.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
It's not a miracle it's loyalty.
It's not just loyalty. I have loyalty to my company because I like the work and they pay me well, but if the job went bellyup tomorrow I'd go find another one and might end up even working for a competitor.

My feelings for the teams I root for goes deeper than mere loyalty. They are part of my identity. I AM a Sox fan. I AM a Bears fan. I AM a Bulls fan. I AM a Buckeye fan - this last one ingrained since birth as I was literally born in THE Ohio State University Hospital and I have the birth certificate to prove it. I cheer therefore I am.

Diehard sports fans like the people who post on these forums have sports running through their blood in ways casual fans don't. Well I'm definitely more mellow about losses and lost seasons than I was as a youngster I still wear the colors proudly win or lose and nothing is ever going to change that.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-05-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, I doubt a vast majority of Sox fans give a crap about the Guaranteed Rate logo let alone view it as one of the top fiascos of this decade.
Regardless, the Sox were mocked around the country for it.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox are the only Chicago team I really care about. Hate the flubs, don't really like the bulls or bears. I support the Hawks, but not regularly.

I'll support the Hose no matter what, tho. They got rid of the diamond patch, I stayed by them. Lopped off the UD rows, still stuck wiffem. Overuse the inaccurate 83 almost-replicas, still cheer for em.

No playoffs since 08, longest drought since 59-83, still a fan. The team is a part of who I am, I have a Pavlovian response to the name and colors. I'm drawn to anything White Sox. It's possible I'd stay by them even if they relocated.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That says volumes about those mocking us around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's not just loyalty. I have loyalty to my company because I like the work and they pay me well, but if the job went bellyup tomorrow I'd go find another one and might end up even working for a competitor.

My feelings for the teams I root for goes deeper than mere loyalty. They are part of my identity. I AM a Sox fan. I AM a Bears fan. I AM a Bulls fan. I AM a Buckeye fan - this last one ingrained since birth as I was literally born in THE Ohio State University Hospital and I have the birth certificate to prove it. I cheer therefore I am.

Diehard sports fans like the people who post on these forums have sports running through their blood in ways casual fans don't. Well I'm definitely more mellow about losses and lost seasons than I was as a youngster I still wear the colors proudly win or lose and nothing is ever going to change that.
I see your point about employment. That's all together different. I do not see sports loyalty anywhere in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Though I am sure someone on this board will try to make the case that it is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
The Sox are the only Chicago team I really care about. Hate the flubs, don't really like the bulls or bears. I support the Hawks, but not regularly.

I'll support the Hose no matter what, tho.
I agree with you one hundred percent. I was a Hawks fan until recently. Now it's just the White Sox.

If the White Sox move I'll still support them.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 11-05-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Not really. The mocking was mostly in Chicago. The average baseball fan from outside Chicago never heard about it. It shouldn’t be in the same conversation as the LaRoche fiasco or the jersey cutting.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I can’t speak about the entire country, but it is not on anyone’s radar in this area. I think ChiTownTrojan is probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Not really. The mocking was mostly in Chicago. The average baseball fan from outside Chicago never heard about it. It shouldn’t be in the same conversation as the LaRoche fiasco or the jersey cutting.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This. I highly doubt there is widespread national mockery of the Sox over ballpark naming rights company logo that in and of itself just shows an arrow with the company's name.

Heck, also highly doubt there is much of the way of mockery of this in Chicago. As far as have observed, some Sox fans threw a hissy fit over the logo when the naming rights deal was announced 3 years ago, some Cubs fans and/or media types tried to make some lame jokes over the connotations of an arrow pointing downward in terms of the direction the team was going.........and then everyone MOVED ON.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Sports Illustrated is a national publication, right?

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...eld-logo-photo

And Yahoo! Sports is not local:

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/new...224816811.html

New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/s...dium-name.html

Google

“White Sox” logo down arrow

to see a whole lot more coverage from both in and outside Chicagoland. Almost all negative.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 11-05-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I see your point about employment. That's all together different. I do not see sports loyalty anywhere in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Though I am sure someone on this board will try to make the case that it is there.

I think that's something for everyone to assess for themselves. I admit I had to google the term, but for me, my sports fandom falls squarely in the love/belonging and esteem categories, though the latter less so as I get older. And true to form my motivation for sports has decreased as my needs (championships) have been met by each of the 4 teams I root for most. I think diehard fans view sports much different than the casual fan. Very few if any casual fans posting at WSI.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

I'm not "loyal" to any job or product. My (and everyone else's) job probably has no loyalty to them when it comes down to it. And ultimately the White Sox are a product; if they're bad, I'll still give them my attention but I won't spend nearly as much money on them. If they want me to go to more games and give them more of my money/time/attention, then like any other business they first have to offer me a good product (on the field).

Not given cheap half-assed attempts in free agency is one way this team can get more of my money.