Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
WSI Personality

Default Bedford Park

I would say Bedford Park along 65th street. There are still many vacant lots, you are close to transportation, and there are many local bars and restaurants. Plus you are in a neighborhood area of Chicago.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 AM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
Interesting idea. For me, the perfect location would be either by McCormack place or if we're dreaming, add on a peninsula at north end of grant park. I always said the 2 biggest mistakes in building this stadium was:
1. Not rotating the stadium 90 degrees counterclockwise for a view of the city
2. Blue seats (fixed)
Does anyone have a civil engineering background to assess whether it would be feasible to keep the park in its existing location, but "turn" the stadium around so it faces Downtown?

When Comerica Park was built in Detroit, a theater was physically moved to another location in downtown Detroit.

After the Chicago Fire, several buildings were moved and "raised" up to deal with flooding and swamp land downtown (most of the downtown streets, sidewalks, and buildings are several feet above ground level).

Not sure if the "turn" would be feasible, but it would be interesting to consider...
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Does anyone have a civil engineering background to assess whether it would be feasible to keep the park in its existing location, but "turn" the stadium around so it faces Downtown?

When Comerica Park was built in Detroit, a theater was physically moved to another location in downtown Detroit.

After the Chicago Fire, several buildings were moved and "raised" up to deal with flooding and swamp land downtown (most of the downtown streets, sidewalks, and buildings are several feet above ground level).

Not sure if the "turn" would be feasible, but it would be interesting to consider...
While I too think the skyline would be a fabulous backdrop, are there any concerns/limitations regarding sunset potentially in batters eyes? I would imagine that anything facing N/NW would have that as an issue and I don't know if there are restrictions on that. Would seem to provide a huge advantage to pitchers during sunset hours.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
While I too think the skyline would be a fabulous backdrop, are there any concerns/limitations regarding sunset potentially in batters eyes? I would imagine that anything facing N/NW would have that as an issue and I don't know if there are restrictions on that. Would seem to provide a huge advantage to pitchers during sunset hours.
The MLB rulebook states that the home base to pitchers mound to second base shall run East-Northeast. Of course, not what we have.. but, we all know what ballpark did and another one that does....
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
I would say Bedford Park along 65th street. There are still many vacant lots, you are close to transportation, and there are many local bars and restaurants. Plus you are in a neighborhood area of Chicago.
They would have to do some serious work on the roads around there to handle that kind of traffic. The only ways to get north are Harlem or Cicero - that could be a gridlock nightmare. Maybe if they finally opened Central up...
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
The MLB rulebook states that the home base to pitchers mound to second base shall run East-Northeast. Of course, not what we have.. but, we all know what ballpark did and another one that does....
Correct, and you would never have a park with home plate facing out to the southwest or northwest.
Facing northeast like the Urinal and old Comiskey is the preferred way to go but there are a few like our current park, old County Stadium in Milwaukee and I believe ATT park that face southeast.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:56 PM
WSI Regular

Maybe the next ballpark could be something along the lines of how Old Comiskey could have looked if it was renovated? Or somehow, give the new ballpark the intimacy, but with the modern amenities.

Those of you who have been to the newer parks, which one, if any, most closely has that?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Maybe the next ballpark could be something along the lines of how Old Comiskey could have looked if it was renovated? Or somehow, give the new ballpark the intimacy, but with the modern amenities.

Those of you who have been to the newer parks, which one, if any, most closely has that?
The main entrance of Citi Field is like Ebbets Field. Can't think of any new parks whose interiors resemble former parks, the closest would be Busch stadium where parts of the upper deck look like the first Busch Stadium AKA Sportsmans Park.

If they built a new Comiskey, here's how it should be done, double or triple decked all the way around with no posts except for the left field stands where there would only be one deck giving good views of the Chicago skyline. Just think of old Comiskey without an upper deck in left field. I would also round off the corners to avoid the stiff necks fans got when sitting in the low boxes way down the lines. The views would be just OK at 35th street since its 4 miles from downtown, closer in would be better.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-03-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post

2. South Loop. As also stated, that river site between Roosevelt and 18th is one of the largest chunks of land left. Yes, Related is ready to start developing the site, but couldn't a ballpark fit into those plans? Did I mention owner Stephen Ross owns the Miami Dolphins? Access to that site is a nightmare however, for both auto and transit. I'm sure any development would require upgrades in both areas.
As far as the South Loop is concerned, I don't see the nightmare traffic scenario that a few people have mentioned. There are plenty of MLB parks with worse access. You would have 3 exits from I-90 to the west, LSD to the east, and 2 El stops in close proximity. Additionally, you could have boat access from the river.

No brainer, if Related is willing to negotiate, give me the South Loop.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

PNC in Pittsburgh
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
As far as the South Loop is concerned, I don't see the nightmare traffic scenario that a few people have mentioned. There are plenty of MLB parks with worse access. You would have 3 exits from I-90 to the west, LSD to the east, and 2 El stops in close proximity. Additionally, you could have boat access from the river.

No brainer, if Related is willing to negotiate, give me the South Loop.
I think I'd like the ballpark in the South Loop as well, but I think for the Sox, it would depend on the parking situation. I am assuming they would make parking garages instead of lots. And, how much would they make off of the parking compared to their current location. Then again, if they did everything right with the ballpark, and had a consistently competitive team, there should be enough $ attendance/ticket/concession-wise to make up for that.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The city and state are broke, who would pay for a new stadium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
One issue with your comment (tirade?) the city and state WILL NOT, repeat WILL NOT pay for a new stadium.

If a new owner wants one, he or she is going to have to pay for it. And the vast majority of owners will not do that.

Personally when the lease expires and / or new ownership comes in, I suspect they will be playing in the EXACT SAME PLACE.

A 40 year old stadium, well maintained is not a liability and this stadium is in very good shape.
Agreed. Barring a move out of state, I think the most likely scenario is that the Sox will still be playing at their current ballpark after 2029.

Unless the Sox get a Mark Cuban-type tycoon as their new owner who is willing and able to privately finance a new ballpark, I really don't see how a new ballpark will get built since the city and state are deep in debt and there is no public appetite for funding a new Sox park.

The Angels have been at their current home for 51 years. I can easily see the Sox staying at the current park into the 2030s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think there's that much land left in the South Loop where they could build a stadium, is there?

Having said that, I think right across the street where Old Comiskey was would be a good site. Maybe they could even make the new park more like Old Comiskey and less like Dodger Stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post

Ten years from now the best place for a new stadium will be where the old one was, and the parking lot is now. No additional cost and a view of Northerly Island, plus a sliver of downtown.

Bridgeport today attracts professional artists for its low costs and warehouses converted to studio space. Hipster hangouts have begun to appear.
A decade from now this could be a very different neighborhood from the one we grew up with.
IF a new ballpark happens, I agree with this. The most likely spot for a new park is on the site of Old Comiskey. If the ballpark is designed right and if the Sox can field a consistent playoff team, they'd do just fine at 35th and Shields.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post

IMO, that would be by far too big of an expense for a single aesthetic perk. It would be nice to see the skyline from the seats, but people aren't staying away from park because they can't see downtown from their seats. In the end, such an improvement will have little affect on the success of the franchise.

If they're building a new park across the street, sure by all means build in a view of the skyline. But, to spend perhaps hundreds of billions to make that happen at the current park? Not worth the money.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Miller Park face southeast as well?

I should know the answer because I go there once every summer, but I think that's accurate.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
They would have to do some serious work on the roads around there to handle that kind of traffic. The only ways to get north are Harlem or Cicero - that could be a gridlock nightmare. Maybe if they finally opened Central up...
As anyone who lives in Garfield Ridge or Clearing can tell you, we would love for Central (or Austin or Narragansett) to go through. Traffic on Cicero and Harlem is at times, atrocious.

Will that ever happen? Less people on Cicero equals less revenue in the stores...

I would love to have Central go through. I just have my doubts.

As for a new location for the Sox, rebuilding on the site of the old Comiskey would make my heart very happy. An updated version of the place would be amazing, IMO.