And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Somewhere in the Oakbrook area along I-88.

Easier access for everyone from the North, West, and South Suburbs with 294 and 355 bordering the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Where? As far as I know, there's no large parcel of vacant/unused land around Oakbrook that could accommodate a ballpark and parking lots -- unless you were to tear down the mall (which ain't happening).
McDonald's is clearing out its headquarters there. But developers are already submitting proposals.

Ten years from now the best place for a new stadium will be where the old one was, and the parking lot is now. No additional cost and a view of Northerly Island, plus a sliver of downtown.

Bridgeport today attracts professional artists for its low costs and warehouses converted to studio space. Hipster hangouts have begun to appear.
A decade from now this could be a very different neighborhood from the one we grew up with.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
Bridgeport today attracts professional artists for its low costs and warehouses converted to studio space. Hipster hangouts have begun to appear.
A decade from now this could be a very different neighborhood from the one we grew up with.
Good point. Once the neighborhood turns over, the Sox might actually be able to build up near the park a bit - maybe right to the west past the viaduct?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Good point. Once the neighborhood turns over, the Sox might actually be able to build up near the park a bit - maybe right to the west past the viaduct?
Maybe..but the area from the tracks to Halsted is almost all residential, and 30 years ago nobody there wanted a Wrigleyville recreation. Parking Lot G has homes directly across from it, so I'm not that confident an "entertainment zone" could be created there. South of 35th is an IDOT facility, maybe acquiring that and demolishing it could work, but that's more money.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

The recent Guaranteed Rate naming rights deal pretty much signaled the closing date for the park, by waiving requirements for maintenance funding in the final two years. The current park doesn't work on a number of levels (pun intended) that I won't go into here, but I think a few options are probably out there for its replacement.

1. Stay in Bridgeport. As someone pointed out Bridgeport is starting to get hot. I'm hearing more and more about recent college grads looking at Bridgeport to move to. Building a new park with the outfield opening up on Armour Square and then the skyline would make it a classic.

2. South Loop. As also stated, that river site between Roosevelt and 18th is one of the largest chunks of land left. Yes, Related is ready to start developing the site, but couldn't a ballpark fit into those plans? Did I mention owner Stephen Ross owns the Miami Dolphins? Access to that site is a nightmare however, for both auto and transit. I'm sure any development would require upgrades in both areas.

3. DuPage County or Out West. I also have "sources" that don't involved baggage claim at O'Hare. They tell me that high-ups in the Sox organization feel the biggest mistake they made is not staking a claim to the suburbs, leaving the Cubs as the City team. Wouldn't be surprised that if ownership doesn't significantly change, they end up out there. You can bet they are looking carefully at what happens in the greater Atlanta area.

4. Somewhere in the Carolinas. Really think this is a good possibility. Sox already have a beachhead here. I'm sure relationships with people in Charlotte and Winston Salem are being nurtured. At the very least, it becomes a bargaining chip for funding help.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post

3. DuPage County or Out West. I also have "sources" that don't involved baggage claim at O'Hare. They tell me that high-ups in the Sox organization feel the biggest mistake they made is not staking a claim to the suburbs, leaving the Cubs as the City team. Wouldn't be surprised that if ownership doesn't significantly change, they end up out there. You can bet they are looking carefully at what happens in the greater Atlanta area.

Thats what I always thought. People west of the city have no interest in coming to the south side of the city. When you consider the population in the nw, w and sw suburbs thats a huge untapped resource.

People like the south loop location now because it could supposedly garner the working force in the downtown area. No one has any idea what the actually number of people working downtown will be over a decade from now. Working from home seems to becoming the way of the future now.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
The recent Guaranteed Rate naming rights deal pretty much signaled the closing date for the park, by waiving requirements for maintenance funding in the final two years. The current park doesn't work on a number of levels (pun intended) that I won't go into here, but I think a few options are probably out there for its replacement.

1. Stay in Bridgeport. As someone pointed out Bridgeport is starting to get hot. I'm hearing more and more about recent college grads looking at Bridgeport to move to. Building a new park with the outfield opening up on Armour Square and then the skyline would make it a classic.

2. South Loop. As also stated, that river site between Roosevelt and 18th is one of the largest chunks of land left. Yes, Related is ready to start developing the site, but couldn't a ballpark fit into those plans? Did I mention owner Stephen Ross owns the Miami Dolphins? Access to that site is a nightmare however, for both auto and transit. I'm sure any development would require upgrades in both areas.

4. Somewhere in the Carolinas. Really think this is a good possibility. Sox already have a beachhead here. I'm sure relationships with people in Charlotte and Winston Salem are being nurtured. At the very least, it becomes a bargaining chip for funding help.
I think it's all contingent on who's owning the club at the time. If JR is still the owner, I think they try the burbs--which I would not prefer. If it's Andrew Berlin, I think they stay in their current location, but a new ballpark with other development around it. My thoughts are based on very little...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM
WSI Personality

Unless a new owner pays for it themselves there is no way a new stadium is getting built in Illinois with taxpayer money so you can rule out a suburban stadium. I'm also not a fan of a suburban stadium even though I live in the burbs. It would be acres and acres of parking lots with no public transportation access. At least the current stadium has two L lines, multiple bus routes, and a metra line running by it. I also doubt that a place like Charlotte would come up with the almost $1 billion in taxpayer money needed to build a new stadium. The only logical place that would do that is Las Vegas especially if hockey and football work out. I also think the state has no leverage at all when the lease is up. The only thing they could do with the stadium is use it to lure another team to Chicago which would cost them a lot more than giving the Sox a good new deal.

Two things really have to happen before these conversations go beyond idle speculation. One is JR retiring/passing/selling team but the other is how the rebuild turns out. If the team can at least make back to back playoff appearances then attendance and ratings will increase which will go a long way in keeping the team at or near its current location.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

When the park closes/the Sox move is impossible to say right now, because we don't even have a clue who the owners will be. I wouldn't assume anything based on what the current lease says, leases can be changed or extended depending on what's going on.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
Unless a new owner pays for it themselves there is no way a new stadium is getting built in Illinois with taxpayer money so you can rule out a suburban stadium. I'm also not a fan of a suburban stadium even though I live in the burbs. It would be acres and acres of parking lots with no public transportation access. At least the current stadium has two L lines, multiple bus routes, and a metra line running by it. I also doubt that a place like Charlotte would come up with the almost $1 billion in taxpayer money needed to build a new stadium. The only logical place that would do that is Las Vegas especially if hockey and football work out. I also think the state has no leverage at all when the lease is up. The only thing they could do with the stadium is use it to lure another team to Chicago which would cost them a lot more than giving the Sox a good new deal.

Two things really have to happen before these conversations go beyond idle speculation. One is JR retiring/passing/selling team but the other is how the rebuild turns out. If the team can at least make back to back playoff appearances then attendance and ratings will increase which will go a long way in keeping the team at or near its current location.
I think Vegas would be a disaster. It's a transient city not unlike Tampa. The residential boom it went through is largely over and you'd be competing with about a million other things for revenue. The Raiders might work simply because they have more fans outside of NORCAL and many that can make the easy drive from the LA area. The Sox are more provincial.

I kind of feel the same way about a move to the suburbs. Personally, I'm no more likely to go to a game if it's in Oakbrook than the South Side. Probably less since I live in Evanston. Leaving Chicago to the Cubs sickens me.

As for the South Loop, I don't think the traffic would be as big of a deterrent since people would probably arrive much earlier to eat, drink, etc. They'd probably leave the area later too. But realistically, any suitable parcel of land will be long gone in the next decade.

For better or worse, my guess is that they'll remain where they are.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
WSI Personality

Just get the skyline in the background, please. I'm so jealous of the teams that have this. It adds a LOT to the experience.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Just get the skyline in the background, please. I'm so jealous of the teams that have this. It adds a LOT to the experience.

Maybe the City can move the skyline.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
Unless a new owner pays for it themselves there is no way a new stadium is getting built in Illinois with taxpayer money so you can rule out a suburban stadium.
I don't see how the state being broke has anything to do with a suburb giving cash to a billionaire owner. Rosemont was ready to give the Cubs whatever they wanted. There will be a suburb stupid enough to build the Sox a new stadium if that's what they want to do.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
. People west of the city have no interest in coming to the south side of the city.
That's because a lot more people west of the city are Cubs fans.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Leaving Chicago to the Cubs sickens me.
Many would say that has already taken place and really started in 1981.

"We're Chicago's American League team..."-Eddie Einhorn.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 PM
WSI Personality

I really don't care if/when we get a new stadium or where they put it.

As long as it's in or close to Chicago, I'll be happy.