And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Somewhere in the Oakbrook area along I-88.

Easier access for everyone from the North, West, and South Suburbs with 294 and 355 bordering the area.
The Fire stadium in Bridgeview should be a cautionary tale about developing a pro stadium in the Chicago suburbs.

Doubt they move out of the Cell anytime soon, best stadium deal in the majors.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
The Fire stadium in Bridgeview should be a cautionary tale about developing a pro stadium in the Chicago suburbs.

Good point.

But at some point, the issue will come up. With the new agreement put in place after the new naming rights deal, there is something about the ISFA not having to do any upgrades/etc to the ballpark the last 3 years of the lease. What do you think that means?

Last edited by soxnut67; 08-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
No it can't be.

Plus- just from my experience of attending concerts or Bears games- access to/from Soldier Field is horrible.
That location would be worse for driving into games, but far far better for attendance and walkup from the Loop. That's the driving force behind my suggestion (and my own personal preference since I live downtown).

A downtown ballpark along the lakefront walkable from the Loop is IMO a huge way to improve the experience and attendance, which translates into payroll.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

I agree- also DePaul moving out to Allstate Arena, etc.- I think to be a player in Chicago, you need to be in the city.

The Fire will never be where some of the other MLS teams are in their markets until they are in the city vs. Bridgeview.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
That location would be worse for driving into games, but far far better for attendance and walkup from the Loop. That's the driving force behind my suggestion (and my own personal preference since I live downtown).

A downtown ballpark along the lakefront walkable from the Loop is IMO a huge way to improve the experience and attendance, which translates into payroll.
The "Loop market" is very small- not really going to help with attendance.

And I don't see ANY way that Soldier Field could be converted to a baseball venue....it's not really that great of a football venue..but that's a whole different discussion.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree- also DePaul moving out to Allstate Arena, etc.- I think to be a player in Chicago, you need to be in the city.

The Fire will never be where some of the other MLS teams are in their markets until they are in the city vs. Bridgeview.
IMO, they should have downsized Soldier Field and turn it into a soccer venue and built a retractable dome in the south lot for the Bears.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
IMO, they should have downsized Soldier Field and turn it into a soccer venue and built a retractable dome in the south lot for the Bears.
Well....it's a shame that Chicago can't be a more proactive in planning -

I would have preferred the Bears get off the lakefront, the Fire have a great facility in the city, and the White Sox move to a better location- and then maximize the economic impact (i.e. restaurant, hotel, access to publlic transit, etc.) of these investments along with the best use of space for sports facilities.

I don't see it happening- just the ideal.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The "Loop market" is very small- not really going to help with attendance.

And I don't see ANY way that Soldier Field could be converted to a baseball venue....it's not really that great of a football venue..but that's a whole different discussion.
There's between half to three quarters of a million people working in the central business district on a daily basis. You don't think you could get a small percentage of those to a game on a summer evening? Plus some tourists from downtown hotels and then some fans coming in from burbs as they do now. Gets it out of the relative desert it's in now, into a prettier and more easily accessed spot, and in a location that's rightly or wrongly got better PR.

It's relatively meaningless because it's so unlikely to happen. And I can't speak to the ability to fit it into the stadium, although if you reconfigure the seating seems like it should be doable. But a baseball stadium on the lake close to downtown, with parks around it and ideally a view of the city would be a huge boost IMO.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
There's between half to three quarters of a million people working in the central business district on a daily basis. You don't think you could get a small percentage of those to a game on a summer evening? Plus some tourists from downtown hotels and then some fans coming in from burbs as they do now. Gets it out of the relative desert it's in now, into a prettier and more easily accessed spot, and in a location that's rightly or wrongly got better PR.
Seems to me there are enough of those stadiums in existence already to be able to gauge the likely benefit. On its face, seems to be logical, but I would be interested in a study. The fact that new stadiums have been being built "downtown" in cities, in many instances, means you're probably right.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Seems to me there are enough of those stadiums in existence already to be able to gauge the likely benefit. On its face, seems to be logical, but I would be interested in a study. The fact that new stadiums have been being built "downtown" in cities, in many instances, means you're probably right.
.....and Chicago gets a lot more tourists, number 2 in the US just behind NYC.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:35 PM
WSI Regular

Whether it's in the South Loop, the Chicago Suburbs, or Las Vegas; when JR dies and/or the lease expires the team will not be playing at the current Sox Park. No way a new owner is going to try to compete with the Cubs and try to get a return on his 1 Billion dollar investment at the current ball park. JR gets nice return on his 20 Million dollar purchase price. That won't suffice with the new owners capital outlay.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis11 View Post
Whether it's in the South Loop, the Chicago Suburbs, or Las Vegas; when JR dies and/or the lease expires the team will not be playing at the current Sox Park. No way a new owner is going to try to compete with the Cubs and try to get a return on his 1 Billion dollar investment at the current ball park. JR gets nice return on his 20 Million dollar purchase price. That won't suffice with the new owners capital outlay.
One issue with your comment (tirade?) the city and state WILL NOT, repeat WILL NOT pay for a new stadium.

If a new owner wants one, he or she is going to have to pay for it. And the vast majority of owners will not do that.

Personally when the lease expires and / or new ownership comes in, I suspect they will be playing in the EXACT SAME PLACE.

A 40 year old stadium, well maintained is not a liability and this stadium is in very good shape.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:51 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
A 40 year old stadium, well maintained is not a liability and this stadium is in very good shape.

Thats what free maintenance will do.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Winner 2014 & 2016 WSI PTC Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Somewhere in the Oakbrook area along I-88.

Easier access for everyone from the North, West, and South Suburbs with 294 and 355 bordering the area.
I would love that. I suspect that I won't live in Illinois long enough to see that happen, though.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 PM
WSI Personality

The Sox will be in this stadium for a while. And I'm ok with that.