And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2017, 09:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
But also awesome and hilarious, insofar as how much it would piss off Kenny, who I'm sure is still smarting over his 2005 snub.
That was ridiculous; and has anyone noticed how the Indians have gotten decidedly better, and the Jays decidedly worse, since Shapiro moved to Toronto.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

For a team that very well could finish 40 below .500?

Ask again in 5-6 years...if he still has a job.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:33 AM
WSI High Priest

I think Hahn has done a solid job with phase one- really good return for Eaton and Quintana and the other lesser pieces- not sure about the Sale trade- Kopech looks great, Moncada has not really impressed in his initial call up- better than expected defense (other than last night), but a .179 average (.125 vs. LHP) is concerning, but it's very early.

But it's all POTENTIAL right now, he hasn't really accomplished anything, so no way is he Exec of the Year- when we win a pennant as a result of this rebuild- then it will be time to recognize him.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 09-09-2017, 11:02 AM
WSI Prelate

I think the progress of players this year has been excellent. We've seen major improvement from position guys thought to be stiffs. And Giolito and Lopez look like major leaguers.
Wish we could find some scrap pitching keepers.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That was ridiculous; and has anyone noticed how the Indians have gotten decidedly better, and the Jays decidedly worse, since Shapiro moved to Toronto.
I'd be curious to know if any other GM in history has overhauled so much of his team, immediately resulting in a World Series title, and NOT been named Executive of the Year.

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Wish we could find some scrap pitching keepers.
You mean like Q and Swarzak? And Putnam, except for injuries?

Sox have done all right with scrap heap pitching.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Lopez, Giolito and Kopech all hit, a big if but certainly not out of the question, Hahn will have practically won already. Most of those guys could be replaced with mid tier free agents anyway.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
If Lopez, Giolito and Kopech all hit, a big if but certainly not out of the question, Hahn will have practically won already. Most of those guys could be replaced with mid tier free agents anyway.
Going forward, I hope this team avoids mid-tier free agents like the plague. Actively pursuing mid-tier free agents gets you a team that is just bad enough to miss the playoffs and just good enough to keep you from landing the true impact talent on draft day and in international free agency.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Going forward, I hope this team avoids mid-tier free agents like the plague. Actively pursuing mid-tier free agents gets you a team that is just bad enough to miss the playoffs and just good enough to keep you from landing the true impact talent on draft day and in international free agency.
Just saying, other than Sale, Q and Eaton, basically gave up the equivalent type players, along with impending free agents
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
...Moncada has not really impressed in his initial call up- better than expected defense (other than last night), but a .179 average (.125 vs. LHP) is concerning, but it's very early...
Sorry for this mini thread-hijack, and I don't want to be too down on Moncada (because it IS early), but I'm trying to think of other "Number-One-Prospects-in-All-of-Baseball" who have come up and underperformed like this. I guess I'd feel better knowing there have been other players in that top overall spot who have stumbled this badly out of the chute, but have gone on to become perennial All-Stars.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
Sorry for this mini thread-hijack, and I don't want to be too down on Moncada (because it IS early), but I'm trying to think of other "Number-One-Prospects-in-All-of-Baseball" who have come up and underperformed like this. I guess I'd feel better knowing there have been other players in that top overall spot who have stumbled this badly out of the chute, but have gone on to become perennial All-Stars.
The last one... Byron Buxton. Moncada is far from alone in struggling at first in the majors. Lots of really, really good players have gone through this.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
The last one... Byron Buxton. Moncada is far from alone in struggling at first in the majors. Lots of really, really good players have gone through this.
As long as Moncada keeps slinging leather and taking walks I'm not going to be concerned. I think the hitting will come around eventually.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Honestly, if Andre Dawson can win an MVP on a last-place team, then why can't Rick Hahn win Executive of the Year on a last-place team? A reasonable, rational argument definitely can be made that no other GM in the game did a better job of improving his team's future outlook.
I am 99% on board with you but it's not too late to trade Mike Pelfrey for some really raw 100 mph arm who is an underachiever, like Jenks 2.0. That's the one I have been pushing for.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Honestly, if Andre Dawson can win an MVP on a last-place team, then why can't Rick Hahn win Executive of the Year on a last-place team? A reasonable, rational argument definitely can be made that no other GM in the game did a better job of improving his team's future outlook.
Because Dawson's achievements could be measured while Hahn's, to this point, can only be speculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I am 99% on board with you but it's not too late to trade Mike Pelfrey for some really raw 100 mph arm who is an underachiever, like Jenks 2.0. That's the one I have been pushing for.
I'd rather have a pitcher.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-10-2017, 08:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
You mean like Q and Swarzak? And Putnam, except for injuries?

Sox have done all right with scrap heap pitching.
Okay - 3 in 5 years. But I was also thinking in terms of pitching equivalents of Leury, Delmonico, Sanchez, Davidson...someone who could at least take the ball and pitch decently in the 4 or 5 spot.
What starter has come out of the system since Q? Rodon - okay but they used the #3 pick in the draft for him. Although they haven't developed great position players, they have done better there than pitching, since Q, imo.

Anyway, a year from now, Jimenez and Kopech will be up, and I see the Sox being in a similar position as they were in, say, 2015, much younger, but with similar weaknesses: light hitting C, CF and 3b. A couple of starters short (and probably several relievers short). That's okay as that is year 2 of a rebuild....

Last edited by Tragg; 09-10-2017 at 08:33 AM.