Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2017, 05:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Rick Hahn: GM Of the Year?

Do we think he honestly has a shot at this award? I think it would be pretty wonderful if he managed to receive this with a team that could very well wind up finishing last in the league. I mean the amount of talent he has infused into this farm system over the last year is astonishing.

EDIT: I believe the award is actually Executive of the Year
Old 09-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Ask again in 3-4 years...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

The argument "against" is that it's much easier to build a loser than a winner. Every team in baseball would have taken Sale, Eaton, Quintana.

The argument "for" is that he set a direction and executed his plan to perfection. He traded almost every tradeable asset and got what are generally agreed to be good to excellent returns. He also signed Robert, and the 2017 draft class seems like a good one.

It takes guts to gut a team, but we really can't judge him until we see Year 2 and Year 3 of the rebuild (at least). I don't think he wins it, but he will be a lead pipe cinch if the Sox are back in the playoffs in 2019.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I understand this line of thinking, but the fact remains that he has completely reshape this organization in a year. This is the proudest and most confident I've been as a Sox fan since October 26th, 2005.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Honestly, if Andre Dawson can win an MVP on a last-place team, then why can't Rick Hahn win Executive of the Year on a last-place team? A reasonable, rational argument definitely can be made that no other GM in the game did a better job of improving his team's future outlook.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Honestly, if Andre Dawson can win an MVP on a last-place team, then why can't Rick Hahn win Executive of the Year on a last-place team? A reasonable, rational argument definitely can be made that no other GM in the game did a better job of improving his team's future outlook.
I'm not sure how the voting usually works.

I'd assume that, if everything goes the way we all hope it does, he might win Executive of the Year in 2020/2021 or whenever the Sox are legitimately contending again based on what he did this year.

I don't think he'll win it THIS year though, based only on potential that may or may not work out.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

I'd assume that, if everything goes the way we all hope it does, he might win Executive of the Year in 2020/2021 or whenever the Sox are legitimately contending again based on what he did this year.

I don't think he'll win it THIS year though, based only on potential that may or may not work out.
Yeah, that's my way of thinking on this too. I'm very impressed with what he has done. But it is all potential right now. We don't know if he did a good job. We think he did a good job. It looks like he did a good job. But we don't and won't know for sure for a couple years or more.

The comparison to Andre Dawson doesn't really fit because we had direct evidence of just how good a year Dawson personally had.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44

Oh I totally agree with you that he's not going to win. I'm just saying that the logic behind the original poster's argument is strong.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I am 99% on board with you but it's not too late to trade Mike Pelfrey for some really raw 100 mph arm who is an underachiever, like Jenks 2.0. That's the one I have been pushing for.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Because Dawson's achievements could be measured while Hahn's, to this point, can only be speculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I am 99% on board with you but it's not too late to trade Mike Pelfrey for some really raw 100 mph arm who is an underachiever, like Jenks 2.0. That's the one I have been pushing for.
I'd rather have a pitcher.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes it is. Nobody wants Pelfrey. And they already picked up Victor Diaz, who fits your profile.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Isn't it generally acknowledged that Dawson was one of the weakest MVP picks in modern history? He wasn't even a top 10 (maybe even 15) player in the NL that season.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Isn't it generally acknowledged that Dawson was one of the weakest MVP picks in modern history? He wasn't even a top 10 (maybe even 15) player in the NL that season.
He led the league in HR - 49 and RBI - 137 while scoring 90. He posted an .896 OPS.

His team sucked. He did not.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The argument "against" is that it's much easier to build a loser than a winner. Every team in baseball would have taken Sale, Eaton, Quintana.

The argument "for" is that he set a direction and executed his plan to perfection. He traded almost every tradeable asset and got what are generally agreed to be good to excellent returns. He also signed Robert, and the 2017 draft class seems like a good one.

It takes guts to gut a team, but we really can't judge him until we see Year 2 and Year 3 of the rebuild (at least). I don't think he wins it, but he will be a lead pipe cinch if the Sox are back in the playoffs in 2019.
I just don't understand taking a doom and gloom stance or assuming that Hahn has stockpiled all this guaranteed talent. We are guaranteed nothing either way so far. Like Voodoo said this will take a while before it shakes down one way or another. I'm not knocking anybody excited about the future, believe me I hope you're all right. I just have to see it in the win column and even under the best of circumstances that ain't happening any time soon.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Hahn anywhere near GM of the year would be ridiculous.
Outrageous