And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 11:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I like Yelich as a player, but that's way too steep of a price. Especially for a team that's not going to compete for another two years.
Agreed, that is a big overpay for him.

He is actually very close to the value that Eaton had when we traded him last year. Both had/have 5 years control, similar WAR last 3 years prior to trade, can both play CF.

Fulmer + Rutherford + Avi (or whatever prospects traded for), matches up pretty evenly with 2016 prospects Giolito + Lopez + Dunning. That package we got was also widely considered an overpay by the Nats. If we took Prado's contract also, it would be a very attractive trade for MIA.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

This team is not going to be trading any prospects they have acquired over the last year + for anyone. To do so would be to go against the direction they have chosen and would be a return to the status quo. This team is in no position to contend right now and I think Hahn has made it clear that their intent is to acquire as many prospects as possible for current assets and let things shake out over the next several years. Why would Miami trade Yelich? Are they going into full rebuild mode now with the new ownership in place?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Why would Miami trade Yelich? Are they going into full rebuild mode now with the new ownership in place?
They are not shopping him and they would only trade him unless they are overwhelmed by the offer. Right now their goal is to unload Stanton.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
This team is not going to be trading any prospects they have acquired over the last year + for anyone. To do so would be to go against the direction they have chosen and would be a return to the status quo. This team is in no position to contend right now and I think Hahn has made it clear that their intent is to acquire as many prospects as possible for current assets and let things shake out over the next several years. Why would Miami trade Yelich? Are they going into full rebuild mode now with the new ownership in place?
MIA is listening on any player, main goal of trimming salary, so trading Prado is a focus. Taking that salary off their hands and getting a great return on Yelich would be something they would at least listen to.

Yelich is the best case scenario for what Rutherford could be, making him expendable in a trade for Yelich. Rutherford you have for 6 years control, with plenty of risk of him not panning out, Yelich 5 years with little to no risk. Fulmer is an interesting piece for us, but not as important as Giolito, Kopech, Rodon, Lopez, Dunning and Hansen. Getting a polished, proven player who plays a premium position, and is under control for 5 years in their prime goes well with our rebuild. That is not the status quo. We aren't going to "hit" on every prospect, so an opportunity to fill a key position with a player like Yelich, is necessary for the rebuild as a whole to be successful.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

PLEASE don't trade any prospects for anyone- let this group continue to develop, before we start to go that route. I'm not interested in any expensive position players from outside the organization at this stage.

But, PLEASE sign a few quality bullpen arms (2 year deals would be OK with me)- that way the young talent has a half decent chance to hang on to leads/stay in games and "learn how to win", and they have a little room to work with as they "audition" any young arms that won't make the rotation, but could be part of the bullpen when we're contending again. And sign at least one or two adequate, veteran starters to help fill the gap of Rodon's injury and losing Gonzalez....and fill out the rotation beyond Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer/Shields.

Might be possible "flip" pieces like Swarzak if needed.

The payroll is already projected to be very low and Sox fans have already shown they are willing to support a rebuilding team,
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
What's everyones opinion on some sign-and-flip candidates? A couple names that interest me are:

Carlos Conzalez
Carlos Gomez
Huston Street

Feel free to add any others
I think the Sox are past the point of flipping; it's time to slowly build the team up. Any of these guys would take playing time away from a younger player who needs to be auditioned thoroughly. (except for Street - there is probably a little room for bullpen vets).

Re trading prospects, I'm okay with it if they are trading prospect for prospect. They are short on up the middle players....not surprising as they are generally hoarded (despite Hahn just giving one up for a stiff 2 summers ago).

If they wanted Yelich now, then they shouldn't have traded Eaton.

Last edited by Tragg; 11-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
PLEASE don't trade any prospects for anyone- let this group continue to develop, before we start to go that route. I'm not interested in any expensive position players from outside the organization at this stage.

But, PLEASE sign a few quality bullpen arms (2 year deals would be OK with me)- that way the young talent has a half decent chance to hang on to leads/stay in games and "learn how to win", and they have a little room to work with as they "audition" any young arms that won't make the rotation, but could be part of the bullpen when we're contending again. And sign at least one or two adequate, veteran starters to help fill the gap of Rodon's injury and losing Gonzalez....and fill out the rotation beyond Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer/Shields.

Might be possible "flip" pieces like Swarzak if needed.

The payroll is already projected to be very low and Sox fans have already shown they are willing to support a rebuilding team,
Agree
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I like Yelich as a player, but that's way too steep of a price. Especially for a team that's not going to compete for another two years.
I wouldn’t want the White Sox to make such a trade, but that is somewhere around the value I would anticipate Yelich to have. I would just as soon trade Avi and Abreu and just keep the guys we get for them.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Re trading prospects, I'm okay with it if they are trading prospect for prospect.
Bingo.

Nobody's future is guaranteed -- not Moncada, not Jimenez, not Kopech. If Hahn believes he can get more for (say) Cease than he thinks Cease is worth, or get equivalent value at a position where we need it more, he will do it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I wouldn’t want the White Sox to make such a trade, but that is somewhere around the value I would anticipate Yelich to have. I would just as soon trade Avi and Abreu and just keep the guys we get for them.
Yelich's value is very similar to Eaton's last year, and he would never have fetched close to that.

I'm all for trading both of them too and keeping the players we get, but a player like Yelich at his age and contract status isn't often rumored to be available.

On board with those that are OK with prospects for prospects trading, but adding Yelich is better than getting prospects. He is under control pretty much the same amount of time and is 25, not to mention no risk of a bust assuming he stays healthy.

Overall, highly doubt Yelich has even been in conversations in the Sox front office. Just fun to speculate at this early point in the offseason.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombradley72 View Post
please don't trade any prospects for anyone- let this group continue to develop, before we start to go that route. I'm not interested in any expensive position players from outside the organization at this stage.

But, please sign a few quality bullpen arms (2 year deals would be ok with me)- that way the young talent has a half decent chance to hang on to leads/stay in games and "learn how to win", and they have a little room to work with as they "audition" any young arms that won't make the rotation, but could be part of the bullpen when we're contending again. And sign at least one or two adequate, veteran starters to help fill the gap of rodon's injury and losing gonzalez....and fill out the rotation beyond giolito/lopez/fulmer/shields.

Might be possible "flip" pieces like swarzak if needed.

The payroll is already projected to be very low and sox fans have already shown they are willing to support a rebuilding team,
+1
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 AM
WSI Guru

A's apparently showing interest in Avi:

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/arti...s-12357838.php

Story is halfway down after talking about Maxwell.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

This "bold prediction" has the Sox signing Otani. I highly doubt it happens but one can dream.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1415026
Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
A's apparently showing interest in Avi:

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/arti...s-12357838.php

Story is halfway down after talking about Maxwell.
That's a decent farm system to be picking from, but not really sure that they'd trade any of the top guys...
Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
This "bold prediction" has the Sox signing Otani. I highly doubt it happens but one can dream.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1415026
I'd absolutely love it if they took this sort of risk and went for him.