White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Worth a thought, since the Hot Stove League seems to be starting early this season. How 'bout 1-1/2 outs for a K? You still need 3 outs but 2 K's would end an inning.
Yeah these ideas don't change the fundamental game of baseball at all worse than guys trying to blast a bunch of homers do...

Did I really need to put that in teal?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Every single mid-inning pitching change that can be eliminated saves 2:00 of completely dead time. Managers who go by number of pitches instead of number of innings can hypothetically make 5 or more such changes per game. Even in less egregious scenarios, both teams can sometimes combine for 5 or more of these changes.

If baseball wants to shave 10-15 minutes off game lengths, mid-inning pitching changes are the best place to start. Lots of games will be reduced by 10+ minutes simply by this alone.
You could eliminate all mid-inning pitching changes. Do you think that would improve the pace of the game by taking out the dead time of pitching changes?

Or you could take the juice out of the baseball, eliminate the DH, expand the strike zone, get rid of instant replay reviews (which rarely don't run over two minutes). The game has checks and balances that take care of its pace. Everything baseball does to increase offense in the game slows it down. The DH wasn't adopted by the American League before the 1973 season soley to increase offense but to increase attendance, and the National League hasn't relinquished its popularity edge.

Can you justify how mid-inning pitching changes made in the name of competition annoy you to the point where you want to eliminate as many of them as you can while you have no problem with longer instant replay reviews which often don't get the call right?

Last edited by TDog; 09-03-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
You could eliminate all mid-inning pitching changes. Do you think that would improve the pace of the game by taking out the dead time of pitching changes?

Or you could take the juice out of the baseball, eliminate the DH, expand the strike zone, get rid of instant replay reviews (which rarely don't run over two minutes). The game has checks and balances that take care of its pace. Everything baseball does to increase offense in the game slows it down. The DH wasn't adopted by the American League before the 1973 season soley to increase offense but to increase attendance, and the National League hasn't relinquished its popularity edge.

Can you justify how mid-inning pitching changes made in the name of competition annoy you to the point where you want to eliminate as many of them as you can while you have no problem with longer instant replay reviews which often don't get the call right?
I would be fine with replay going away. I would be fine with the ball being deadened. I’ll make any trade you want, if it makes mid-inning pitching changes go the way of Old Yeller.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

With what's happening to the game, I'm pretty close to being fine with not watching baseball. Establishing an artificial limit of three hitters (or, I assume, the end of an inning) for each pitcher will get me closer to that edge.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
With what's happening to the game, I'm pretty close to being fine with not watching baseball. Establishing an artificial limit of three hitters (or, I assume, the end of an inning) for each pitcher will get me closer to that edge.

I like the tee-ball idea that in extras you get to start a runner at second base.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 AM
WSI Prelate

I don’t think all mid-inning pitching changes should get banned, but I would like to ban the practice of removing a relief pitcher (not the starter) after recording the first or second out of the inning.

Also, let the manager/pitching coach and catcher have a radio communication system with the pitcher, and ban all mound visits other than to change a pitcher or for the trainer to check on the pitcher for injury.

Also, after the pitch is caught by the catcher, make the pitcher return to the rubber within 5 seconds. If he fails to do so, call a ball. Likewise, make the batter remain in the batter’s box. Give him one opportunity to call “time” in a plate appearance, and if he fails to return to the batter’s box in ten seconds, call a strike.

As to the style of play...

As a fan of the White Sox, I love it when Sox pitchers record outs, no matter how they are generated, and I hate it when they allow baserunners. I love it when Sox hitters get on base, no matter how they do so, and I hate it when they make outs of any kind.

Each of the 27 outs (or preferably only 24 outs at home) that the Sox hitters make in a game is painful UNLESS that out scores a run to take the lead in the 8th or 9th. I don’t care if they are strikeouts or groundouts or pop outs or fly outs.

Each of the runs the Sox score in a game are great. I don’t care if they all come via bunts and ground balls through the holes in the infield, or if they all come on home runs that follow walks.

And if a Sox hitter is sufficiently skilled with the bat to foul off multiple pitches in order to try to get one to his liking (even if it “only” culminates in a walk), that’s great!

I understand that some people may not like the way the game has changed. But you know what builds fan interest? Winning games and sending fans home happy!
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Take the juice out of the baseball? After it's been put in? Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Not gonna happen.

Oh, remember Q complaining that the seams were flatter as an excuse for his poor performance the first part of 2017 just before he got it figured out and was traded to the north side? So that's not a new one and means it's prolly not part of the juiced ball scheme of 2019.