And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Why? The best possible return is the goal, and that probably wouldn't include MLB-ready talent.

If the concern is fielding a team for the rest of 2017, running a quadruple-A outfielder out there every day doesn't have anywhere near the same negative impact as running quadruple-A starting pitchers out there every day. Someone like Jacob May can have 3-for-30 stretches at the plate without the game itself grinding to a halt. On the other hand, the game won't end until the pitching staff records at least 27 outs at home and at least 24 outs on the road, which is making this team's games take closer to 4 hours than 3 hours.

I think that is another aspect of this whole situation that makes things subconsciously worse. At least all those low-scoring games that we were losing during the previous four years were neat and tidy 2.5-hour or 3-hour affairs.
I don't see Avi getting traded for the same reasons that Melky is unlikely to be traded. But if someone was to offer quality prospects in return then I agree that level does not matter, quality does. If they are in rookie ball, fine, as long as they are legit prospects (and this is true for Avi or anyone else we trade).

And I agree completely that we can bring up Willy Garcia, who did not embarrass himself during his call-up earlier, and it won't be a big deal but that the state of the starting staff is making the games really hard to watch. It is good to know there is a huge amount of talent waiting in the wings that we can look forward to otherwise watching Pelfry and Shields and Holland every night would send me to an early grave. The fact that the Sox will probably have to resign Holland and Gonzalez next year in order to field any sort of rotation is not giving me the warm and fuzzies either.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Why would you need an MLB-ready player in return?
Because you need players with a skill sets and resume to run out on the field. You need fans in seats. You need some professionals at the MLB level b/c your assets in the minors are a ways off from making the parent club.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
Because you need players with a skill sets and resume to run out on the field. You need fans in seats. You need some professionals at the MLB level b/c your assets in the minors are a ways off from making the parent club.
Again, fielding the best possible team in 2018 is not a priority, nor should it be. One of the bad outfielders already in the system will do fine next year. That said, Avi probably is worth keeping next year anyway. Melky is the one who needs to go.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Making any moves to put "fans in seats" in 2017 or 2018 is not the thing to do (unless you just, like, bring back some old fan favorite players cheap or something, but I'm not even sure who that could really be at this point). You aren't going to get any extra people because you have an outfielder who's slightly better than a minor league replacement player, so you're better off getting a better prospect who may do more in the future.

The minors are full of "professional" ballplayers who can play up here for the time being. They won't be very good at baseball, mind you, but again that's not really the criteria they should be judged on right now.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:44 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If I was Abreu I would be hoping I would be the next trade. I would find it extremely painful to play on this this type of club with the skills he has and in the prime of his career. Its nice to be a mentor but not at this stage of ones career with no guarantee to be around or have the skills if things jell.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If I was Abreu I would be hoping I would be the next trade. I would find it extremely painful to play on this this type of club with the skills he has and in the prime of his career. Its nice to be a mentor but not at this stage of ones career with no guarantee to be around or have the skills if things jell.
Mentor, Schmentor, you're right, if I'm Abreu I want to get the hell out of Dodge.
The hangup with him is his age, more than likely closer to 35 than 30.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-23-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Mentor, Schmentor, you're right, if I'm Abreu I want to get the hell out of Dodge.
The hangup with him is his age, more than likely closer to 35 than 30.

Its sweet to be a mentor when it extends your career like with konerko but not when you still have it.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
May as well keep him then. He is young and capable of playing in the majors. The Sox are unlikely to get anything of equal (or even close) major league value in return.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
May as well keep him then. He is young and capable of playing in the majors. The Sox are unlikely to get anything of equal (or even close) major league value in return.
I was wrong. If you can move Avi for an potential arm arm do it.

Holland was too much to take today. The pen too.

There's losing and then there is dreck. This was dreck.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 PM
WSI Personality

Swarzak should go, velocity is holding and has had a very solid last month.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Swarzak should go, velocity is holding and has had a very solid last month.
What's the deal? Who replaces him?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Lopez, and you put him in the rotation, and move Pelfrey or Shields to long relief.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Lopez, and you put him in the rotation, and move Pelfrey or Shields to long relief.
I expect this to happen in the next week or so regardless of whether or not there are any other trades. I'm surprised they didn't do it already. Lopez has been dominating in AAA for awhile now - he's got nothing left to prove.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It doesn't matter who replaces him. It doesn't matter at all.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-25-2017, 05:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It doesn't matter who replaces him. It doesn't matter at all.
Sure it does. If it is a kid that can gain experience then you go with the kid versus the gas can vet.

...and you certainly do not trade someone just to make a move.

I like the idea of Lopez to starts and moving a gas can to long relief.