Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Positive thoughts thread

Negativity over this season (which almost all of us conceded last year would be a "lost" season) is seeping into every thread. Let's have a thread with positives about the team here. Leave the negativity in other threads.

The national media has been generally quite positive about the future of the White Sox.

Covey is a changed man.

Carry on.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Jace Fry
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox have eight of the Top 100 prospects as ranked today by MLB Prospect Watch. Tied with the Braves for the most in the Top 100. The Cubs have zero.

277-241.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:36 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Patience in the face of bad play is key. Young players are making mistakes in a season that means nothing. Learning from those mistakes and moving forward is just part of the rebuilding process.

Also: Nick Madrigal

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'll try to list as many as I can, in no particular order:

Reynaldo Lopez, even if I'd like to see him K more people, I actually feel good when he starts games.

Lucas Giolito, who seems to be improving lately after being far and away the worst starter in the league after Fulmer was sent down.

"Big d***" Nick Madrigal getting drafted, I was worried the team would go with Singer, but they showed me they're not fools thank God.

The New Game James Shields, who woulda thunk it after the steaming pile of garbage he's been since getting traded over here? He's not going to blow anyone away anymore, but it's good to see him lower his ERA closer to 4.

Jace Fry, I just love the way the ball looks out of his hand. That is some great stuff for a kid that doesn't throw all that hard by today's standards. Hope he's a staple of the bullpen for years to come.

Joakim Soria, after the first few months where he would give me heartburn every time he was on the mound, it's great to see him going back to being a good reliever again. Maybe the Sox can get something for him at the deadline.

Xavier Cedeno, his little curve reminds me of Robertson's, but without quite the same pedigree. He's also a LHP, so that helps. Like what I've seen so far.

Tim Anderson, actually showing improvement at the plate and more importantly with the glove.

I could list more, but I'm at work and my boss is near. There are many positive things about this team if you know where to look. They might be small positives overshadowed by stuff like Moncada struggling massively, but there's still enough there to provide optimism.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 06-22-2018, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

If you're feeling down about the Sox, check out the minor league section of WSI. Lots of good news down there.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Collins trails only Mike Trout in all of professional baseball in walks, and heís played 12 fewer games.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's baseball, arguably the greatest sport ever invented.

My favorite team helps take my mind of all kinds of adult matters on an everyday basis for six months a year on the field.

Being a huge college baseball fan and having watched Madrigal play for OSU, I want to stop at Grandstand and buy a Madrigal shirsey or jersey like now.

Lopez is going to anchor the Sox' rotation with Kopech and some of the other kids for a good long while. Love to see great pitching.

As much as I enjoy Hawk (and I truly do), I have to admit that I like Benetti more and more. I like his enthusiasm and he and Stone play off each other well.

Jose Abreu is leading the AL in voting at first base (Buster Olney, are you watching this?)

Adam Engel is still a quality defensive CF. Just please hit the ball. How about .220? For me?

Eloy Jimenez will play for the Sox and not the Cubs. And relatively soon.

The hosts on WGN Radio (most - if not all - of whom are Cubs fans) have to talk about the Sox.

Even the national media seem to think the Sox' future is among the brightest in MLB.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

We have four stud pitching prospects in the top 50 of the MLB. All with the potential to be aces to mid- rotation studs for a championship team. We will also see Jimenez in September.

Finally, Robert is playing baseball and Collins is becoming dangerous in a position where dangerous means you have a great team.

Give it a couple of years. This is a godly minor league system, and I will put money on us being the best team in the Central in 2020 or 2021.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 PM
WSI Personality

Summer is 'ight I guess.

Elotes at the park is still great.

Hawk is still the man.

That's about all I have.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Minaya has started to look like the guy we saw late last year with this recent callup - not completely worthless.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Even the national media seem to think the Sox' future is among the brightest in MLB.
The national media seems to be far more positive than anyone in Chicago, and certainly far more positive than anyone on WSI.

2018 is only a lost year if you're looking at the major league club, plenty of progress in the minors.

I'm the notorious pessimist around these parts and I am more upbeat about the Sox than most of you.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Giolito looks fantastic tonight
Old 06-22-2018, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

14 strikeouts for Giolito in his last 12.1 IP, with noticeable upticks in velocity, command, and pace.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 PM
WSI Church Elder