Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 PM
WSI Personality

Default Giolito

The guy looked like he had really turned a corner this spring. Sharp command of his arsenal; mid 90s velo was back. Then the bell rang for the season and he completely regressed. I still think there's at least a #2/3 starter in there but I dont know if the guy getting killed each start at be big league level is correct for his development at this point. What do you think Sox braintrust should do with him? Let him figure it out in Chicago or Charlotte?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986
The guy looked like he had really turned a corner this spring. Sharp command of his arsenal; mid 90s velo was back. Then the bell rang for the season and he completely regressed. I still think there's at least a #2/3 starter in there but I dont know if the guy getting killed each start at be big league level is correct for his development at this point. What do you think Sox braintrust should do with him? Let him figure it out in Chicago or Charlotte?
Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer should all get a full seasonís worth of starts up here. Pitching their way out of slumps is something that they need to learn.

I know itís not the answer that many fans want to hear, but this is what rebuilding looks like, folks. This team is better off losing early in the season so expectations can be recalibrated to where they should have been in the first place.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer should all get a full season’s worth of starts up here. Pitching their way out of slumps is something that they need to learn.

I know it’s not the answer that many fans want to hear, but this is what rebuilding looks like, folks. This team is better off losing early in the season so expectations can be recalibrated to where they should have been in the first place.
I'm with ya
It really blows though. Reminds me of 1988-1989.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I'm with ya
It really blows though. Reminds me of 1988-1989.
You obviously are to young to remember 1968-1970.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer should all get a full seasonís worth of starts up here. Pitching their way out of slumps is something that they need to learn.

I know itís not the answer that many fans want to hear, but this is what rebuilding looks like, folks.
I'm not sure that this is really what rebuilding really looks like, especially when you have the assets to trade that the Sox did. But it is what we have to tell ourselves to keep hope up.
We don't know if these guys are in slumps or whether they simply don't have it. Giolito has shown some skill; but Fulmer never showed much ability, even in the minors.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:23 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You obviously are to young to remember 1968-1970.
Lip,
The difference is the 68-70 Sox had players that were likable and many had good careers, Wood, Melton, Horlen, Peters , John, Walt Williams, Carlos May, Looie, Berry etc. This team doesnt have that.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

But they were still a bad team that lost 295 games.

Last edited by TommyJohn; 04-22-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I know itís not the answer that many fans want to hear, but this is what rebuilding looks like, folks. This team is better off losing early in the season so expectations can be recalibrated to where they should have been in the first place.
My main concern is that we have 3 pieces of the rebuild that have nagging "flaws" that were known when we acquired/signed them, but are still major issues- Giolito (diminished velocity), Collins (hitch in the swing), Fulmer (inconsistent delivery/command), and none of them have really shown in their minor league results that they've overcome the issues. Giolito had a great September, but his 2017 results at AAA were not stellar, Fulmer has a career ERA of 4.96 in the minors, Collins has a career batting average of .219 in the minors- I still believe Giolito can be a legit major league pitcher- but Collins and Fulmer have "bust" written all over them.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
My main concern is that we have 3 pieces of the rebuild that have nagging "flaws" that were known when we acquired/signed them, but are still major issues- Giolito (diminished velocity), Collins (hitch in the swing), Fulmer (inconsistent delivery/command), and none of them have really shown in their minor league results that they've overcome the issues. Giolito had a great September, but his 2017 results at AAA were not stellar, Fulmer has a career ERA of 4.96 in the minors, Collins has a career batting average of .219 in the minors- I still believe Giolito can be a legit major league pitcher- but Collins and Fulmer have "bust" written all over them.
I would say that the Giolito has issues that need to be worked out ASAP.

That's on Giolito, Cooper, Duncan etc...

I believe Fulmer pitches up here the whole season sink or swim (innings).

Collins? If he does not improve I'd ask questions about scouting, evaluation, coaching, and everything else all the way down the line.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I felt bad for Giolitto. He totally lost it last night. He had no idea where the ball was going. After that ridiculously bad curveball, Castillo didn't call it again. I was just hoping that he didn't hurt any batters.

I believe he'll regain his control. He needs his curveball to be successful. It was disconcerting to me that he was throwing 89 mph fastballs, however. It's disappointing because it appeared he has turned the corner and was a guy you didn't have to worry about anymore.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 PM
WSI Personality

I'm starting to wonder when "Coop" is going to wake up and do his job. You can't really blame Coop for a guy losing 5-6mph off his fastball, unless, it's mechanics. He was flashing mid 90's this spring was he not?

This all goes back to what I've been saying all along. The draft issues look generally fixed and we seem to be acquiring good talent but player development is still lacking.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM
WSI Prelate

What a difference a few starts makes:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=147572

Quote:

Agreed. Giolito, Lopez, and Moncada have less than a year up with the Sox under their belts. Many talented young players struggle for a while before establishing themselves in the majors. It's rare to have a prospect come up and instantly excel like Kris Bryant or Frank Thomas. It sucks to see the Sox play like ****, but to expect the Sox to be a winning team after only 1 season into the rebuild isn't very realistic.

I'm more doubtful about Fulmer than these guys, but yes, it's too early to write him off.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
but to expect the Sox to be a winning team after only 1 season into the rebuild isn't very realistic.
I certainly didn't expect them to be a winning team, not by a longshot but after the second half of last year and this spring, I fully expected them to at least be competitive in games.

Right now they look like a high school team in all facets, that was not expected and certainly even in a rebuild asking to be competitive is not to much to ask in my opinion.

Just show you are getting better...not getting worse. Right now...they are getting worse.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:44 PM
WSI Personality

Much worse.... they look much worse
Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I certainly didn't expect them to be a winning team, not by a longshot but after the second half of last year and this spring, I fully expected them to at least be competitive in games.
As Jim Margulus wrote, and Iím parroting, ďthis was always going to be the worst year of the rebuild.Ē
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.