GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
....and Soria with yet another scoreless inning for the save. I believe that's 10 outings in a row with 1 IP and zero runs given up. What happened to the almost-daily comments about how Hahn totally got pantsed by having to pay $8M for Soria and Avilan?

Funny how posts about Soria have gone silent since he turned things around.
Along with Avilan- solid return for an irrelevant prospect (Peter).

Nice pick up of Cedeno as well.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3
....and Soria with yet another scoreless inning for the save. I believe that's 10 outings in a row with 1 IP and zero runs given up. What happened to the almost-daily comments about how Hahn totally got pantsed by having to pay $8M for Soria and Avilan?

Funny how posts about Soria have gone silent since he turned things around.
Yup. Especially considering that they gave up nothing more than rebuild-year payroll and a guy in Jake Peter who had been hopelessly buried on the organizational depth chart.

Even if Soria continued to falter, his stability alone would have made the acquisition worthwhile. Now that he has turned things around, I’m positive that a Soria trade will bring back someone more useful to us than Peter would have been.

Plus, like you said, Soria wasn’t even the only part of the deal. Acquiring two healthy major league relievers for one fringe prospect who had no realistic path to the majors is a no-brainer.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Seriously, I love this place and get a lot out of it but it’s ridiculous how quick on the criticism we are when things go wrong and just crickets when the Sox win with Giolito throwing 7 innings. No one has anything to say? That says more about you.
It was around 9:30 here in the west when I saw they won. Sorry to disappoint you but I was doing other things at the time.

So let me just say, its good they didn't look like clowns for the third straight game.

As I've said in the past when you've lived through the **** since 2007 I can understand why fans don't get excited over a single solitary win (especially when you are 25 games under in a rebuilding year) but God bless you for keeping the faith.

Hopefully in a few years all of us can enjoy things again on a regular basis.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It was around 9:30 here in the west when I saw they won. Sorry to disappoint you but I was doing other things at the time.

So let me just say, its good they didn't look like clowns for the third straight game.

As I've said in the past when you've lived through the **** since 2007 I can understand why fans don't get excited over a single solitary win (especially when you are 25 games under in a rebuilding year) but God bless you for keeping the faith.

Hopefully in a few years all of us can enjoy things again on a regular basis.
Isn't the flip side of this true also though? I mean you acknowledge it s a rebuilding year and the Sox are hopelessly out of it, so what't the point in wringing hands and gnashing teeth after every loss?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Isn't the flip side of this true also though? I mean you acknowledge it s a rebuilding year and the Sox are hopelessly out of it, so what't the point in wringing hands and gnashing teeth after every loss?
The point is losing is expected BUT the way you lose is also important.

These guys have not often shown any progress...in fact you can make the case that the guys who are expected to be part of the rebuild and key pieces are REGRESSING...not improving. That's very troubling.

Yea they are going to lose...a ****load...but at least play the game properly, at least show some gradual improvement even if it is just in an area or two over time.

Lopez used the word "clowns" not me. That choice of wording to me said a lot. You can lose and you can lose embarrassingly. That's the point in my opinion, at least you can be respectable, you can take pride in your job.

You don't need to be a 10 year veteran to do that.

Like I said just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
The point is losing is expected BUT the way you lose is also important.

These guys have not often shown any progress...in fact you can make the case that the guys who are expected to be part of the rebuild and key pieces are REGRESSING...not improving. That's very troubling.

Yea they are going to lose...a ****load...but at least play the game properly, at least show some gradual improvement even if it is just in an area or two over time.
This is troubling only if you believe that player development is a linear process—which you shouldn’t. Player development is often non-linear. Young players yo-yo between progression and regression so often that there is even a cliche for it—“sophomore slump.”

When people say that rebuilding takes time and patience, they are not referring only to the fact that overall progress is slow and incremental. They also are referring to the fact that overall progress will sometimes switch direction.. I don’t think people were fully prepared for that inevitability, which explains a lot of the pessimism.

Last edited by Mohoney; 06-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Knock on wood: Soria could be building enough equity to get us a borderline top 150 prospect here soon.

Will be interesting.

Shields on the otherhand should just be DFAd at this point. Ain't getting a live body for him.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Knock on wood: Soria could be building enough equity to get us a borderline top 150 prospect here soon.

Will be interesting.

Shields on the otherhand should just be DFAd at this point. Ain't getting a live body for him.
There is no one to take Shields’s place. At this point, just take the innings, and take comfort in knowing that he won’t be here again next year.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I don’t think people were fully prepared for that inevitability, which explains a lot of the pessimism.
That is a good point but also don't forget that at least part of the pessimism is because of the track record of the Sox front office since 2007. Put the two together and you have a lot of concerned fans and I can't blame them.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
That is a good point but also don't forget that at least part of the pessimism is because of the track record of the Sox front office since 2007. Put the two together and you have a lot of concerned fans and I can't blame them.
What this front office did before the rebuild is irrelevant now. They admitted that their previous “patchwork quilt” approach was flawed, and they abandoned it. This is the first time they undertook a true tear-down and rebuild.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What this front office did before the rebuild is irrelevant now. They admitted that their previous “patchwork quilt” approach was flawed, and they abandoned it. This is the first time they undertook a true tear-down and rebuild.
Done by the same individuals though. The same folks drafting, evaluating, developing, maintaining for the most part that designed the "patchwork quilt" approach.

I hope it works and I hope we start to see some sustained positive results next season.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sportsvision! Lockout! Things that happened in 1980! Arghhgghhh!!!!!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This is troubling only if you believe that player development is a linear process—which you shouldn’t. Player development is often non-linear. Young players yo-yo between progression and regression so often that there is even a cliche for it—“sophomore slump."

Fundamentals do not yo-yo.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
Fundamentals do not yo-yo.
Concentration can lapse.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Did this game end exceptionally late compared to the other postgame threads you usually contribute to when they lose?