Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Visiting Cleveland for a Sox game?

I'm planning on going later this month (6/20) to a Sox game in Cleveland. Anything I should know from people who have gone? (I'm sure there are a lot of you.) Is there a particular area of the stadium where there seem to be more Sox fans than in other sections? Wouldn't mind sitting near some other Sox people. I know at Sox games, visiting fans seem to be in higher concentrations in the upper deck in general and in the lower deck behind the visitors' dugout.
How well/poorly are opposing fans treated who are minding their own business, on a scale from Milwaukee (very friendly) to Philadelphia (incoming projectiles)? Unfortunately I'm stuck going to the game on my own since my Chicago-native friend I'm visiting is acting in a show that I'm seeing the following night, so he will be occupied all of the day before.
Also, what is the parking situation like?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Went there for the last series of the year in 05. We had clinched and they needed a sweep for a shot a the wild card (I think) Worst fans I've ever come across. We stayed in the part of the city where everything is centered. I suggest that. We splurged and went to Mortons for dinner. Walked past Farmio on the way to our table. Went into the bar for a drink after dinner and ran into, Crede, AJ Konerko and Rowand. We thanked them for a great season and wished them luck. Will never forget it. I would also suggest The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, walking distance from the downtown area.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpr_KaaRjW0

I'm with Joakim.

275-237.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
Old 06-08-2018, 01:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
Went there for the last series of the year in 05. We had clinched and they needed a sweep for a shot a the wild card (I think) Worst fans I've ever come across. We stayed in the part of the city where everything is centered. I suggest that. We splurged and went to Mortons for dinner. Walked past Farmio on the way to our table. Went into the bar for a drink after dinner and ran into, Crede, AJ Konerko and Rowand. We thanked them for a great season and wished them luck. Will never forget it. I would also suggest The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, walking distance from the downtown area.
I was there for that exact same series, the Friday night game. The Sox had put out their bench lineup (including all the September call-ups) being that it was the game after the clincher in Detroit. Stadium was packed and the crowd was very tense because their team was fighting fort the WC with Boston. We won that night with our scrub lineup and their belligerent trash fans wanted to pick fights with every Sox fan in attendance, and trust me, their were plenty Sox fans there.

I believe we ended up sweeping them out of the playoff opportunity

When I go to Cleveland for the Sox, I always make it a Cedar Point trip and stay in Sandusky. About 40 miles east of Cleveland.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is well worth it. When we were there a few summers ago, they had Johnny Cash's tour bus parked outside. You could walk around inside and see the cigarette butts in one of the vents in the floor.

Gift shop is expensive, but if you love music, they had a ton of great stuff.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Been to several Sox games there. No problems except for the Sox' play on the field at some of the games. I even wore my Thome Sox shirt at the height of their booing him and nobody harassed me.

On one of the trips, the Indians organization became my permanent heroes. We were set for two games. The first game, the weather was nice. The next day, it rained like it was Build The Ark Time. There were a bunch of Sox fans with "non refundable" tickets who really had no use for rain checks since going to a make up game was not worth the expense. Without hesitation once they realized there were many Chicago people with worthless tickets, the Indians announced that we would all receive a full refund on our tickets. Big ups for the Tribe! They were not legally required to this. (I went to yesterday's game in Minny and did not buy my ticket in advance since I wanted to make sure the weather was nice. No guarantees that the Twins would have done the same thing,)

Rock and Roll HOF is worth the price of admission, by the way.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:54 PM
WSI Regular

My husband and I went there for a game in August of 2016. It was the game where Adam Eaton hit a grand slam in the top of the 9th to come from behind and win the game, and I was wearing my Eaton shirt which my sons just got me for my birthday. It was amazing!

We sat behind the first base dugout, which I think was the Sox side, but we were a ways up, still close enough to see the players going in and out. It's interesting because the dugout wraps around all the way from first base to third base. I don't remember a whole lot of Sox fans being there. The people sitting near us were very friendly, and we talked with them the whole night. No one harassed me, I suppose winning helped that. The food was really good and there were a lot of great choices. It was hard to decide what to order. The ballpark is beautiful.

I don't remember what we paid for parking but we found a space in a lot about three or four blocks away, so it was pretty convenient, and we did not get there early.

I very highly recommend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I would go back in a heartbeat. I would allow at least four hours.

Have a great time!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

One of my favorite Cleveland stories.

Years ago, drove to a Sox game there and ended up way early. Bought tickets at the ballpark box office and asked the guy, “What’s the best thing to see in Cleveland.” His response: “The inside of any bar.”
Old 06-10-2018, 02:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
One of my favorite Cleveland stories.

Years ago, drove to a Sox game there and ended up way early. Bought tickets at the ballpark box office and asked the guy, “What’s the best thing to see in Cleveland.” His response: “The inside of any bar.”

Thanks for the info, everybody. Since it's a day game I was indeed planning on hitting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A Paulie Konerko jersey would seem like a safe bet...no one doesn't like Paulie, right? Maybe Astros fans?
Old 06-10-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI Personality

I had no problems with fans when we were there maybe 6 years ago. Can’t help on parking as we stayed downtown and walked to the game.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post

Thanks for the info, everybody. Since it's a day game I was indeed planning on hitting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A Paulie Konerko jersey would seem like a safe bet...no one doesn't like Paulie, right? Maybe Astros fans?
Half of WSI didn't like Paulie until September 2005.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Half of WSI didn't like Paulie until September 2005.
Haha, don't I know it...I joined WSI in 2002 in order to argue on a controversial thread that the Sox didn't make a bad trade when they traded Mike Cameron for him.