White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 AM
WSI Regular

He's trying so hard to be the smartest guy in the room without actually being the smartest guy in the room. From what I've read he's trying to play percentages on every single at bat with every single game, which is a terrible decision given that the statistical outcome between most of them are completely negligible. Then throw in the fact he's attempting to make pitching changes without pitchers being warmed up, and you have an unmitigated disaster of a manager on your hands.

The Phillies ought to acknowledge they might have made a massive mistake for hiring this guy and purge him now, then throw everything they have at Joe Girardi. It's early enough to make this sort of switch and the latter is a good enough manager to jump right in.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

What is the earliest that a manager has ever been fired in the season? Didn't the Yankees fire Yogi Berra in April?

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
What is the earliest that a manager has ever been fired in the season? Didn't the Yankees fire Yogi Berra in April?
April 28, 1985 right after the Sox won at Comiskey Park on a walk off, walk to Ozzie Guillen. Sox swept them. Berra replaced by Billy Martin. Yankees won 97 games that year.

Have that game in my library.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Gabe Kapler would be a much more painful subject for Sox fans if not for Dewayne Wise. Thankfully he made "the catch" and we can all point and laugh at Gabe Kapler now.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
April 28, 1985 right after the Sox won at Comiskey Park on a walk off, walk to Ozzie Guillen. Sox swept them. Berra replaced by Billy Martin. Yankees won 97 games that year.

Have that game in my library.
I remember sitting in the CF bleachers for that Sunday game and then hearing on the radio on the way home that Berra was fired. With Steinbrenner, not a shock.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Probably Cal Ripkin, Sr., whom the Orioles fired April 12, 1988 after the team started 0-6.

That's if you don't count Tim Johnson, who was fired by the Blue Jays during spring training in 1999, after he admitted lying on his resume.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:46 PM
WSI Prelate

After what he said in the press conference yesterday, I'd be surprised if any of the other coaches or players are still with him.

A.J. Hinch and the Astros make lots of analytics-based decisions, but they understand that managing the players is much more important than knee-jerk moves because the numbers tell them so.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
After what he said in the press conference yesterday, I'd be surprised if any of the other coaches or players are still with him.

A.J. Hinch and the Astros make lots of analytics-based decisions, but they understand that managing the players is much more important than knee-jerk moves because the numbers tell them so.
Knowing what numbers say versus knowing how to make decisions on them are two different things. Gabe is really missing the latter.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Knowing what numbers say versus knowing how to make decisions on them are two different things. Gabe is really missing the latter.
Especially when heís skipping the fundamental numbers when heís crunching the advanced numbers...

Last time I checked, a pitching staff still has to face anywhere between 35 and 40 opposing hitters on most nights.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM
WSI Regular

It's getting worse. Philly needs to launch this guy: https://deadspin.com/what-did-gabe-k...ime-1825010802
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 PM
WSI High Priest

If the Phillies had taken your advice guys they might not be a game behind the streaking Mets. I'm glad you're not my boss!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko
If the Phillies had taken your advice guys they might not be a game behind the streaking Mets. I'm glad you're not my boss!
That is possible. It is also possible that the Phillies would have played this well under any other manager, and Kapler’s early-season blundrs are the only thing keeping the team out of first place right now.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That is possible. It is also possible that the Phillies would have played this well under any other manager, and Kaplerís early-season blundrs are the only thing keeping the team out of first place right now.
And it is also possible that they would have lost those same early games under any other manager.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
And it is also possible that they would have lost those same early games under any other manager.
Exactly. There is absolutely no way of knowing how much of this team's record can be attributed to Kapler.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

One of the things I have read is how he's corrected some of his previous mistakes so that it's no longer automatic that a starter will be taken out third time through the order, which makes sense in the regular season. We will have to see how the rest of the season plays out but some of the quotes coming out of the clubhouse after those first few series were quite damning.