White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
I assume that's becuase they started in the minors so young and are rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man roster, right?
Yes. They both needed to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Ugh. That’s just enoy-ing. 😂
Undoubtedly less enoying than keeping track of the brothers Odor, Rougned and Rougned, or the recently signed Mesa siblings, Victor Victor and Victor Jr.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Undoubtedly less enoying than keeping track of the brothers Odor, Rougned and Rougned, or the recently signed Mesa siblings, Victor Victor and Victor Jr.
Or the Luis A. Basabe twins...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post

All hype? What in the world makes Burdi "hype"? Kid throws north of 100+, was a closer at one of the top college programs in America and was cruising towards the big leagues until an injury derailed him.
Somewhat recently Burdi’s velocity was down in the 94-96 range, I don’t know if that has improved the more he’s pitched but it was way down and a bit of a concern since my understanding is that it is uncommon for guys to lose that much velocity to TJS.

I also think that Burdi was drafted with an eye towards helping the White Sox major league bullpen in 2016 since the team was still hanging on to contending around the draft. I think a few front office guys even suggested that Burdi could have a similar path as Sale, who only spent a month or something in the minors. I think it’s fair to say that Burdi was drafted to addresss a specific need on the major league roster for the 2016 season and there is always a gamble when you do that.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Somewhat recently Burdi’s velocity was down in the 94-96 range, I don’t know if that has improved the more he’s pitched but it was way down and a bit of a concern since my understanding is that it is uncommon for guys to lose that much velocity to TJS.

I also think that Burdi was drafted with an eye towards helping the White Sox major league bullpen in 2016 since the team was still hanging on to contending around the draft. I think a few front office guys even suggested that Burdi could have a similar path as Sale, who only spent a month or something in the minors. I think it’s fair to say that Burdi was drafted to addresss a specific need on the major league roster for the 2016 season and there is always a gamble when you do that.
94-96 is about as hard as I want to see from a guy who had tjs a year ago. Especially in meaningless exhibitions.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I assume that's becuase they started in the minors so young and are rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man roster, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yes. They both needed to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.
Both were signed at age 16. So, they both became eligible for the Rule 5 draft even though they were only 21 and hadn't yet reached AA (at the time).

A year ago, San Diego showed that there is a real risk of having such lower level prospects picked and kept on a major league roster for an entire season to make the selection permanent.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-rule...ub/c-251500646
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 AM
WSI Prelate

2080 Baseball has an updated report on Basabe, and it's quite encouraging:

Quote:
Speed and defense could help at ML level right now, but will benefit from more high-minors time to develop as a switch hitter. Well-rounded toolset gives good chance to be everyday CF: solid contact ability w/ chance to develop power at a premium position.

Seems to me that he ought to begin the season at Birmingham, but if he continues to improve with the hit tool, then he'd earn a midseason promotion to Charlotte. Assuming they are not traded, then I think either he or Luis Gonzalez will be our opening day CF in 2020 (with Robert pushing for the spot by 2021).
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
2080 Baseball has an updated report on Basabe, and it's quite encouraging:

Seems to me that he ought to begin the season at Birmingham, but if he continues to improve with the hit tool, then he'd earn a midseason promotion to Charlotte. Assuming they are not traded, then I think either he or Luis Gonzalez will be our opening day CF in 2020 (with Robert pushing for the spot by 2021).
I'd assume the plan for Basabe is kind of similar to the one for Jimenez last year, which is starting the year in AA and then getting moved up to Charlotte at some point and maybe (hopefully) a shot at the big leagues in August/September.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'd assume the plan for Basabe is kind of similar to the one for Jimenez last year, which is starting the year in AA and then getting moved up to Charlotte at some point and maybe (hopefully) a shot at the big leagues in August/September.

Could be. His defense (and base running?) appears to be MLB-ready. He's still working on his hit tool, though, with further development needed on both his RH and LH swings. In that way, he's less advanced than Eloy, with double the work ahead of him. He spent half a season at Birmingham last year; I think another half season at AA and half a season at Charlotte are in order. If that earns him a September callup, since he's already on the 40-man roster, great! He's also someone who, if he's not promoted to Chicago next September, could really polish himself again in the 2019 AFL.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM
WSI Guru

James Fegan

@JRFegan
White Sox have removed Zack Burdi from AFL action for “general fatigue.” He is expected to be fully ready to go for spring training in February

2:56 PM - Nov 1, 2018

probably a smart move since he has shown that he can actually pitch again this Fall.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
[URL="https://2080baseball.com/reports/luis-alexander-basabe/"]Seems to me that he ought to begin the season at Birmingham, but if he continues to improve with the hit tool, then he'd earn a midseason promotion to Charlotte. Assuming they are not traded, then I think either he or Luis Gonzalez will be our opening day CF in 2020 (with Robert pushing for the spot by 2021).
In a perfect world, Basabe hits enough to be an everyday player in CF, and the spot Robert “pushes for” in 2021 is Eloy’s corner OF spot, with Eloy becoming a full-time DH.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
In a perfect world, Basabe hits enough to be an everyday player in CF, and the spot Robert “pushes for” in 2021 is Eloy’s corner OF spot, with Eloy becoming a full-time DH.
Agreed! And then, in that perfect world, Adolfo and Rutherford will each be .300 hitters who we platoon in RF. 😜
Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 PM
WSI Guru

More tonight from Fegan on Burdi take it for what it's worth:

"Burdi's goal for AFL was to get back on a normal work schedule, so this is a disappointing development, even if a strong spring training can render it moot."

A fan asked, "Heard his velocity is way down. Reason to worry or more of him building it back up?"

"It's been 93-95, so between that and running into fatigue, it's fair to be concerned."
Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 AM
WSI Regular

Yup, Burdi's been shut down for "general fatigue": https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...eneral-fatigue

Though this gives him 3 months to rest and recoup with the hopes that velocity comes back.

In better news, Luis Robert continues to do well! 2/3 yesterday with 1 BB and 2 SB. The fact he's working the zone and is taking walks is very encouraging. His baserunning and glove are developing nicely too. The power will come, I think.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Doesn't look like the Sox will be needing much in the way of free agent outfield help. Sorry, Bryce.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides