White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Meh. Quit shopping in the bargain bin, and maybe you won’t get burned by weirdos being weird.

It was common knowledge that Adam LaRoche was a kook, but the dumpster-diving White Sox thought they were getting a deal.
Not sure where you got that cheaper option MLB players are more likely to be weirdos than the high paid ones.... has literally nothing to do with it.

Please provide evidence that it was common knowledge before the signing that he was a "kook" too. Didn't hear anything about him being unusual until after the incident.

For the record, signing a player to market value isn't getting a deal. The Sox signed a 35 y/o 1b/DH coming off an OK year to $25mil/2. You mean that they should be allocating resources to better players. There's a difference, but you seem to want to make Jerry seem cheap at every opportunity, so here we are.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI Prelate

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...e-school-drake

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...584_story.html

LaRoche was like that his entire career.

And yes, Reinsdorf is cheap.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

I know exactly how much money Reinsdorf has and how he should spend it. I can't believe that he won't spend it the way I demand. The cheap *******.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I know exactly how much money Reinsdorf has and how he should spend it. I can't believe that he won't spend it the way I demand. The cheap *******.
Well played.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
It was Kenny Williams insisting that the Sox needed a big left handed bat. I read that it was the same argument with Adam Dunn. It was stated that the majority of people involved from the Sox management didn't want Dunn but Kenny overruled them.
But back to the main topic, Eaton absolutely needed to go and Hahn did a great job on the return. The same could be said about Quintana (in that it was a great trade, Q is a first class guy). Q was not having the greatest start that year but Hahn ended up with a pretty good return.
My god, it wasn’t just Kenny. The people on this site went nuts too and were on the warpath on how dare someone not see the godlike status when the trade was announced. People lost their minds... http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ight=Adam+Dunn
Old 10-19-2019, 11:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I know exactly how much he has spent in the past, and it was nowhere near enough.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
My god, it wasn’t just Kenny. The people on this site went nuts too and were on the warpath on how dare someone not see the godlike status when the trade was announced. People lost their minds... http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ight=Adam+Dunn
Hate to pat my own back, but I tore that thread up. Doubt anyone would argue my anti-Dunn analysis now in retrospect.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:16 PM
WSI Personality

I think we can say that unless the Sox win at least one world series with Giolito and or Lopez that the Nats actually easily won this trade. Eaton was huge for them this postseason and especially in the World Series. First Sale, now Eaton.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I think we can say that unless the Sox win at least one world series with Giolito and or Lopez that the Nats actually easily won this trade. Eaton was huge for them this postseason and especially in the World Series. First Sale, now Eaton.
Please. One good series, three years after the trade? I'm happy for him, but it doesn't change the trade calculus.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:15 PM

I mean, by that logic, the Sox could have included Brandon McCarthy in the Geoff Blum trade and it would have still been a good trade.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Not unless the Sox can say that Eaton was the single piece that would have put them over the top. Neither he nor Sale would have been that piece in the last few years.

If the Nationals won this trade it wasn't by much. Giolito alone is worth as much as Eaton and if he continues to pitch like a top 2 guy it won't be even close.

If the trade is valued on World Series titles then you will have to wait and see.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-31-2019, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Please. One good series, three years after the trade? I'm happy for him, but it doesn't change the trade calculus.
Quote:
I mean, by that logic, the Sox could have included Brandon McCarthy in the Geoff Blum trade and it would have still been a good trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not unless the Sox can say that Eaton was the single piece that would have put them over the top. Neither he nor Sale would have been that piece in the last few years.

If the Nationals won this trade it wasn't by much. Giolito alone is worth as much as Eaton and if he continues to pitch like a top 2 guy it won't be even close.

If the trade is valued on World Series titles then you will have to wait and see.
So upon some further reflection perhaps a better way to put it is that the Nationals can now say that it was a great trade for them. He was a contributor to their WS title. So all the heat Rizzo took for that specific deal was probably unjustified.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
So upon some further reflection perhaps a better way to put it is that the Nationals can now say that it was a great trade for them. He was a contributor to their WS title. So all the heat Rizzo took for that specific deal was probably unjustified.
It takes some of the sting out for Rizzo, but Eaton didn't help them the last two seasons, or all that much in the regular season this year. Meanwhile, Giolito blossomed, and beat the Astros in Houston himself. He would have been a nice weapon, or he/Lopez/Dunning could have been traded to bring in someone better than Eaton.

Of course, if they'd known Giolito would pitch so well, they could have not signed Corbin and instead hung on to Harper.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It takes some of the sting out for Rizzo, but Eaton didn't help them the last two seasons, or all that much in the regular season this year. Meanwhile, Giolito blossomed, and beat the Astros in Houston himself. He would have been a nice weapon, or he/Lopez/Dunning could have been traded to bring in someone better than Eaton.

Of course, if they'd known Giolito would pitch so well, they could have not signed Corbin and instead hung on to Harper.
Giolito had a great season, but has really had just one good season. I hope Giolito continues to be a superior pitcher, but it doesn't always work out that way. Lopez has never had a consistent season. Dunning hasn't made it to the majors. I was hearing the day of the Eaton deal that the White Sox weren't going to be a 90-loss team in 2019.

Nova beat the Astros twice this season, once in a game where the Sox roughed up Cole in Houston and a complete game four-hitter in Chicago in August. Suggesting Giolito would have helped the Nationals in the World Series based on Giolito's win in Houston is really no different from suggesting the Nationals would have dispatched the Astros quicker if they had acquired Nova.

Considering that the Nationals had never won a postseason series until this year, despite drafting Strasburg and Harper in consecutive years and winning the NL East four times between 2012 and 2017, the Eaton deal is looking this October like it worked out for the Nationals. Maybe when Giolito, Lopez or Dunning wins a postseason game for Chicago, we can say the deal worked out for the White Sox.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog View Post
giolito had a great season, but has really had just one good season. I hope giolito continues to be a superior pitcher, but it doesn't always work out that way. Lopez has never had a consistent season. Dunning hasn't made it to the majors. I was hearing the day of the eaton deal that the white sox weren't going to be a 90-loss team in 2019.

Nova beat the astros twice this season, once in a game where the sox roughed up cole in houston and a complete game four-hitter in chicago in august. Suggesting giolito would have helped the nationals in the world series based on giolito's win in houston is really no different from suggesting the nationals would have dispatched the astros quicker if they had acquired nova.

Considering that the nationals had never won a postseason series until this year, despite drafting strasburg and harper in consecutive years and winning the nl east four times between 2012 and 2017, the eaton deal is looking this october like it worked out for the nationals. Maybe when giolito, lopez or dunning wins a postseason game for chicago, we can say the deal worked out for the white sox.
+1
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004