White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Default Black Monday - which managers are getting fired

The Pirates fired Clint Hurdle on Sunday, after previously saying he was coming back. The Cubs fired/let go of Joe Maddon, I just got a news alert saying the Angels have fired Brad Ausmus (perhaps to hire Maddon). The Padres fired Andy Green awhile ago.

Other managers reportedly on the hot seat: The Mets' Mickey Callaway, the Phillies Gabe Kapler.

There are also openings in San Franciso and Kansas City. I wonder if this is the most managerial positions open in a while?

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Managers Getting the Ax: 2019-20 Offseason Edition

Brad Ausmus fired by the Angels today. Is Genius Joe heading to Anaheim?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...usmus-1-season

Also gone so far:
Clint Hurdle (Pirates)
The aforementioned Joe Maddon
Andy Green (Padres)

Retiring:
Ned Yost (KC)
Bruce Bochy (SF)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:52 PM
WSI Personality

Maddon is probably gonna spend the twilight of his career managing the Angels. Backup plan is probably San Diego. I don't blame him for either scenario. The Angels can be really good if they had healthy pitching and word is they're gonna go all out for Cole. San Diego has a bright future as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Maddon is probably gonna spend the twilight of his career managing the Angels. Backup plan is probably San Diego. I don't blame him for either scenario. The Angels can be really good if they had healthy pitching and word is they're gonna go all out for Cole. San Diego has a bright future as well.

San Diego has a .500-ish future nestled between Dodgers Southland and the Mexican border. The Angels, even without Trevor Cahill starting opening day, will continue to disappoint.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maddon is 65 years old. You have to think he's at least considering hanging them up for good.

I don't know the man, and of course everybody is different.

I retired at 62, and haven't looked back once. You reach a point where you know it's time to do it.

I looked around, and saw I was working with some of the sons AND grandsons of guys I worked with back in the '70's. Time to go!
Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM
WSI High Priest

by the way, Josh Paul (remember him?) has also been fired as Angels bench coach along with Ausmus
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-03-2019, 01:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Mets fire Mickey Callaway:
https://sports.yahoo.com/mets-fire-m...163957807.html
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Gabe Kapler has been fired per Jon Heyman and Bob Nightengale via Twitter.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM
WSI Personality

Roberts has to be out as well, right? His bullpen management was atrocious. A team that loaded shouldn't have been bounced from the NLDS.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Roberts has to be out as well, right? His bullpen management was atrocious. A team that loaded shouldn't have been bounced from the NLDS.
Agreed about the Dodgers bullpen management, but the Nationals are hardly chopped liver. As someone posted up this thread they had a slow start to the season but since May have been every bit as good as the best teams in baseball from a winning percentage perspective.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Agreed about the Dodgers bullpen management, but the Nationals are hardly chopped liver. As someone posted up this thread they had a slow start to the season but since May have been every bit as good as the best teams in baseball from a winning percentage perspective.
Roberts has also led the Dodgers to back-to-back pennants, four straight NL West titles and won at least 90 games every season he's been there. So I would assume he is at least doing something right. His managing last night was atrocious, but I don't know how much significance a team would place on one game.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Roberts has also led the Dodgers to back-to-back pennants, four straight NL West titles and won at least 90 games every season he's been there. So I would assume he is at least doing something right. His managing last night was atrocious, but I don't know how much significance a team would place on one game.
Very little if they are smart.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 10-10-2019, 04:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Goofy bastard couldnít manage a bullpen if his life depended on it...

Heís the same dip**** who put Joe Blanton back out there in game 5 of the 2016 NLCS to get ****ing shelled, just like he got ****ing shelled in game 1.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Goofy bastard couldnít manage a bullpen if his life depended on it...

Heís the same dip**** who put Joe Blanton back out there in game 5 of the 2016 NLCS to get ****ing shelled, just like he got ****ing shelled in game 1.
Something tells me you must have had some money on the Dodgers to win it all! If you did I'm sorry for you, but elated that the Dodgers are eliminated!!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM
WSI Guru

Maddon to the Angels.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3996575...mpression=true