GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 12:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Iím more worried about age catching up to Abreu and EE than I am about Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert. Besides, this entire plan hinges on the success of those 3 powerhouse prospects, so worrying about having fallback options for any of them is pointless.

On the pitching side, you need more options. Just covering the 1400+ innings requires more options. If Kopech is on any innings restriction, I would rather get it out of the way at the beginning of the season, not the end. That would put both Lopez and Gonzalez in the rotation to begin the season, and thatís just not reliable enough. Letís say they pitch back-to-back, because I doubt that Renteria would be able to comprehend that Cease, Lopez, and Gonzalez should not be pitching in succession.

Getting another option in there is essential. If that costs at least the same $5 that Gonzalez got, why not just add $10-$20 more to that $5 on a guy whose odds for success are much higher?

The surplus value from all the young pieces is at its maximum this year. About $70 has been invested in free agents for this year. Next year and the year after are not compromised by beefing up a little more to get this thing going.
What they really need is a veteran swing man who can do both. You pretty much have to let kopech cease and Lopez pitch, you may have Rodon back around august. So you canít tie up in a starter because you kind of have to learn what you have in these guys.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
What they really need is a veteran swing man who can do both. You pretty much have to let kopech cease and Lopez pitch, you may have Rodon back around august. So you can’t tie up in a starter because you kind of have to learn what you have in these guys.
The man for that job should be Collin McHugh! I also think they should consider Ben Zobrist OF/IF.

Last edited by RCWHITESOX; 01-06-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Thread title is misleading. It looks like this was an announcement from the team, not a fan.

Lopez is fine. Cease is a stud and Kopech is healthy.

Can't wait for March 26th so this silliness is over.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

Timely article that came out today making the case for Lopez:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/1/...reynaldo-lopez
Old 01-06-2020, 02:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Realize with all the April off days + rainouts, we probably will only need 4 starting pitchers for the first 3 weeks. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if the sox go to a 6 man rotation to limit innings on the injury recovering (Kopech, Rodon, dunning), players pitch their first full year (Cease, possibly others), and also limited wear and tear on veterans who may need to skip a start (Kuechel, Gonzalez). Ironically, Lopez is the only guy that should be good every 5th day.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Do people really think we are going to see Dunning this year? He has thrown all of 60 innings in Double A, and while he has been good, it seems really weird to me to rush him to the bigs, let alone Triple A, while he rehabs his arm back.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Do people really think we are going to see Dunning this year? He has thrown all of 60 innings in Double A, and while he has been good, it seems really weird to me to rush him to the bigs, let alone Triple A, while he rehabs his arm back.
86.1 IP in 2018
00.0 IP in 2019

Unless he comes out incredibly healthy and dominant I don't see any scenario where we see him in 2020.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Only a very specific scenario would we see Dunning in the majors next year. He's already thrown bullpens starting in Nov, so I think it's realistic for him to be starting games in AA in around June.

He would have to be very good in AA, which he was excellent in before being injured, and also be stretched out to 6 inning starts. The Sox would also have to be very close in the AL central race in late Aug/Sept. and need an impact starter due to an injury occurring after the trade deadline where they could have made a move to solve that hole in the rotation, but now have to fill within.

He will be below: Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, Gonzalez, Detweiler, Flores, Stiever, Rodon, and at least one more AAA pitcher on the depth chart.

A lot would have to go wrong with the Sox rotation health-wise and right for Dunning next season.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Only a very specific scenario would we see Dunning in the majors next year. He's already thrown bullpens starting in Nov, so I think it's realistic for him to be starting games in AA in around June.

He would have to be very good in AA, which he was excellent in before being injured, and also be stretched out to 6 inning starts. The Sox would also have to be very close in the AL central race in late Aug/Sept. and need an impact starter due to an injury occurring after the trade deadline where they could have made a move to solve that hole in the rotation, but now have to fill within.

He will be below: Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, Gonzalez, Detweiler, Flores, Stiever, Rodon, and at least one more AAA pitcher on the depth chart.

A lot would have to go wrong with the Sox rotation health-wise and right for Dunning next season.
In my mind, a more likely scenario is that he is fast tracked as a reliever at some point once he proves heís healthy and if he duplicates his 2018 success in the minors.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Thread title is misleading. It looks like this was an announcement from the team, not a fan.

Lopez is fine. Cease is a stud and Kopech is healthy.

Can't wait for March 26th so this silliness is over.
Sorry about the title change it if you like.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Glad to see not everyone thinks Lopez is a waste of Humanity and is probably a pretty good hurler.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Glad to see not everyone thinks Lopez is a waste of Humanity and is probably a pretty good hurler.

I mean, isn't there a difference between the guy is a waste of humanity and the guy has been getting shelled?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
I mean, isn't there a difference between the guy is a waste of humanity and the guy has been getting shelled?
Yea! I believe the argument is "Would Lopez be a better pitcher in the bullpen or is he best left in the rotation?" And there are compelling arguments for both.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

That's odd. I haven't seen a single person who called Lopez a "waste of humanity".
Old 01-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
That's odd. I haven't seen a single person who called Lopez a "waste of humanity".
Did I overreact to seeing the name "Reynoldo Lopez"?