GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2019, 09:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
It is time to believe in the possibility of a playoff run next year.

I want the Sox to be bold and sign an Ozuna or Castellanos to really put this team over the top but, a minor signing like Edwin Encarnacion will do the trick here, too.
I think the Sox are convinced Mazara is on the cusp of a breakout. I don't see them going out and paying the price it will cost for Ozuna/Castellanos for a platoon / DH situation.

I also think they want the flexibility at DH to be able to rotate the 3 catchers and Abreu in and out of there.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:28 PM
WSI Prelate

I like the signing, donít love it. Itís ho-hum. What this offseason has done is put this team 100% on Hahn and KW. Our best players officially now have to be the ones we drafted or traded for as prospects. Since weíve proven we canít sign the top tier guys and will continue to live in the second and third tiers, the fate of this team is entirely how on development of youth within. If they falter, these 2 should be fired.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Isn't a large part of that reason teams not wanting to give up a draft pick?
Indeed, That was exactly the reason. But the facts get in the way sometimes.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yes, the schtick where I use statistics to make a point, and then get attacked by posters who have no response but to call what I'm doing a schtick.
You should go back and review some of your other posts. You state that the Sox should not sigh Ryu and here in this post you say they should sign him?? Again this was a terrific signing and hopefully they sign Ryu as well. I know your a stats dude but thereís more to building and winning games than pure stats.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:40 PM
WSI Prelate

I do feel like this should put us in contention for the AL Central. No chance in a playoff series, but **** we may be a playoff team by default this year. That means baseball for the first time in a long time may be watchable
Old 12-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I do feel like this should put us in contention for the AL Central. No chance in a playoff series, but **** we may be a playoff team by default this year. That means baseball for the first time in a long time may be watchable
Not zero chance, but it will take Cease/Kopech/Lopez to make a huge step up and Gio not to regress. If they do have 3-4 TOR starters in those kids, and they start to show it this year then they can give anyone a run for the money in a series.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-21-2019, 09:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Isn't a large part of that reason teams not wanting to give up a draft pick?

When he signed, that wasn't a contention anymore (after June 1). He still only got that season. And wound up where he did because he was an injury replacement.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I like the signing, donít love it. Itís ho-hum. What this offseason has done is put this team 100% on Hahn and KW. Our best players officially now have to be the ones we drafted or traded for as prospects. Since weíve proven we canít sign the top tier guys and will continue to live in the second and third tiers, the fate of this team is entirely how on development of youth within. If they falter, these 2 should be fired.
This... like it... a lot. The move has potential to be a great one. Love it? Let's see how it plays out.

I feel pretty confident saying that we'll see a number of quality starts, a good number of innings pitched, and the Sox in more games next year than they were last year. That's what we are looking for.

The competition level has been raised among the guys on the Sox looking to have a spot in the rotation. Lopez... time to find it, because you can be replaced. Kopech for sure wants to break camp with the Sox, so he'll be battling also.

The added bonus... Covey and Fulmer are further away from every pitching for the Sox again. Win Win.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If you can contend for the division and make the playoffs, then you have a chance to win in the playoffs. Anything can happen once you get in. Let's get in and see what happens.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:50 PM
WSI Regular

Gio and Keuchel make the Sox better than they were before the signings. They do set up well in the rotation - provide some veteran presence for the young pitchers and hold the fort while Cease - Rodon and Kopech - over come their injuries and/or learn how to pitch in the Bigs.

I'll go back to worrying about the defense. If Anderson learns how to stay focused at short - that will make a very big difference.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
The added bonus... Covey and Fulmer are further away from every pitching for the Sox again. Win Win.
This might be the most understated but important point of the last two signings.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Gio and Keuchel make the Sox better than they were before the signings. They do set up well in the rotation - provide some veteran presence for the young pitchers and hold the fort while Cease - Rodon and Kopech - over come their injuries and/or learn how to pitch in the Bigs.

I'll go back to worrying about the defense. If Anderson learns how to stay focused at short - that will make a very big difference.
I love TA, and I want him to stay for a long time, but he may need to be moved off SS at some point. That may be Madrigal’s spot in 2 or 3 years, which is why I would like to see him get some work there in Charlotte.

If a starter better than Keuchel is acquired, then anybody who is hypothetically ready for the majors needs to be promoted to the majors once the service time deadline passes. If not, then it’s all about development.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
When he signed, that wasn't a contention anymore (after June 1). He still only got that season. And wound up where he did because he was an injury replacement.
I understand that, but it seems a pretty fair bet he could have signed before the season if it wasn't for the draft pick issue. Then when he did sign, it seems possible (likely?) that he was only going for a one year thing thinking he could get more this year. And per this article, he has options, the Yankees wanted him too... https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/6...-agent-signing
Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not zero chance, but it will take Cease/Kopech/Lopez to make a huge step up and Gio not to regress. If they do have 3-4 TOR starters in those kids, and they start to show it this year then they can give anyone a run for the money in a series.
I just don't see it next year, not saying not ever, but not next year. Cease had no idea where he ball was going last year, he was not ready. Kopech coming off injury may be shut down by the playoffs if hes on an innings limit. Lopez is a lost cause, I actually think the best part of this move is it may push him to the bullpen where he is better served.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I like the signing. I like that they picked up two savvy veterans with different styles, both lefties, for reasonable money in this climate. I like that they avoided surrendering prospects or draft picks. And it sounds like they still plan to spend the savings on bullpen upgrades, which is good.

I think that to jump into contention, they needed Cole or Strasburg as the headliner, not Keuchel or even Wheeler. So it follows that I don't expect them to be contenders in 2020, but I do expect them to begin a run of winning seasons.

I don't see any reason to make a trade at this point. They have five healthy starters, four more at various stages of rehab (Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Lambert) and probably have enough to make Covey and Fulmer irrelevant.

If the season started tomorrow, there would be new faces in center, at second, at catcher and in right, with a McCann/Collins platoon at DH. I didn't like the Mazara trade, but Robert, Madrigal and Grandal are legitimate two-way players, and a Mazara/Engel platoon should be okay.

Two solid free agent relievers would tie up the offseason nicely.