White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I said earlier in this thread or another that I don't think the Sox would get the value back in return for trading McCann as what he brings currently to this team. His built in chemistry with Giolito (easily the Sox best pitcher) can't be quantified by stats and will be hard to put a price on. Even aside from him being a leader and more than helpful to the younger players, he was good to great at the plate 5 of the 6 months last season. Going into next season he is a clear cut top half of the league starting C, that arguments can certainly be made for top 10 in the league. Catchers that can hit, play defense, call a good game, are great in the clubhouse, make pitchers better - don't grow on trees.

He is worth a top 150 prospect, in my mind. That would be a McClanahan from TB for sure. Not some middling prospect that has a 5% shot of being a regular player. Just hold on to him if Hahn gets a lowball offer like that.

He's cheap this upcoming year, and also I can't think of a player more willing to probably sign an extension too than him (has only made about $6mil in his career, already 29). So definitely a good chance of being more than just a rental if the trading team wants him.

He was a player I really enjoyed having on the team last year and really don't want to see him go. So we'll see how this plays out, but if he's only getting 50 starts next year, he deserves a better situation.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 PM
WSI Prelate

This idea that McCann deserves anything other than his $5.4 salary is flawed. He is welcome to explore other options once he earns that right with a 6th year of service.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:12 PM
WSI High Priest

@JonHeyman

Edwin Encarnacion is close to deal with White Sox. Expected to be for 12M once official.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I said earlier in this thread or another that I don't think the Sox would get the value back in return for trading McCann as what he brings currently to this team. His built in chemistry with Giolito (easily the Sox best pitcher) can't be quantified by stats and will be hard to put a price on. Even aside from him being a leader and more than helpful to the younger players, he was good to great at the plate 5 of the 6 months last season. Going into next season he is a clear cut top half of the league starting C, that arguments can certainly be made for top 10 in the league. Catchers that can hit, play defense, call a good game, are great in the clubhouse, make pitchers better - don't grow on trees.

He is worth a top 150 prospect, in my mind. That would be a McClanahan from TB for sure. Not some middling prospect that has a 5% shot of being a regular player. Just hold on to him if Hahn gets a lowball offer like that.

He's cheap this upcoming year, and also I can't think of a player more willing to probably sign an extension too than him (has only made about $6mil in his career, already 29). So definitely a good chance of being more than just a rental if the trading team wants him.

He was a player I really enjoyed having on the team last year and really don't want to see him go. So we'll see how this plays out, but if he's only getting 50 starts next year, he deserves a better situation.
Contractually, he's due what he's going to get per the contract. If he's going to spend the year before free agency picking up splinters without the opportunity to increase his value, he's worse than wasting his time here.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

500 someone feel free to start Hot Stove 4...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Closed Thread