White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
2026 would be all about flipping Eloy and Robert at the end of their team-friendly contracts for massive returns to start the process anew.

Thats assuming something happens in the next two years. If the next two years are sos it will happen then.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Thats assuming something happens in the next two years. If the next two years are sos it will happen then.
Even if a lot more things go wrong than right, I donít see this team winning fewer than 75 games. Nothing is getting blown up that soon.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

The "blame for this off-season" ?

Are people ****ing nuts?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Following 2023: Grandal, Moncada, Giolito all are free agents
Following 2024: TA, Kopech, and Bummer all are free agents
Following 2025: Cease is a free agent
Following 2026: any players who debut in 2020 will be free agents.

2026 would be all about flipping Eloy and Robert at the end of their team-friendly contracts for massive returns to start the process anew.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
OK, how long do you think this rebuilt team will be competitive?

If we get 3 prime opportunities to win a ring (2021-2023) and 3 more decent-but-not-great chances to bookend those chances (2020, 2024-2025), I would consider that the maximum possible result on this entire process.

However, at this point, the Twins have done jack **** this offseason. I think adding some more to this $120-130ish payroll can get this team to the playoffs in 2020, and I want to see ownership take the chance.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think adding some more to this $120-130ish payroll can get this team to the playoffs in 2020, and I want to see ownership take the chance.
This is reasonable.

I think RF and the pitching staff are the only areas where we reasonably can upgrade the roster. I donít think there are many more free agents worth it who fit our teamís needs. Among prospects, anyone from Dunning on down is expendable in trade. Iím willing to take on a bad contract if it gets me an upgrade elsewhere, but I think those are more likely to be mid-season trades.

Iíll go out on a limb and say the ultimate success of this rebuild project hinges on how much the Sox can extract in trade from among their currently stalled/injured prospects, probably for a starting pitcher. In recent Sox history, Iím thinking of trades for starting pitchers like Freddy Garcia and Jake Peavy.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:21 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Coming out of rebuild mode, how good can this team be? The health and improvement of the young starters will dictate how far we go. It's not ridiculous to expect us to pass the Indians and give the Twins a run for their money. It might be overly optimistic to think we will win the division.

The front office did a nice job of plugging the holes without committing too much cash to players who will be blocking even better players in future seasons. And the Robert extension was a very nice surprise.

I am still disappointed that we didn't sign a superstar. Will we ever win a bidding war for a top ten player? If we couldn't manage it last offseason or this one, with all the cash we carefully hoarded and lots of holes to fill, I just can't see it.

On the other hand, with Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Giolito, Kopech, and Cease, we might just grow our own.