GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Plus, being optimistic sure feels a lot better than the alternative!

Not to some Sox fans. Part of their identity as Sox fans is pessimism and distrust of Sox ownership. Not sure why that makes them feel better, but it seems to.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L

Next Game Sep 22
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Helping you out from my perspective, others may have different views. The 70s except for the Dick Allen years and 1977 were brutal, the franchise was financially in big trouble with John Allyn followed by Veeck as owners with not much money. 71 wasn't a bad year as the team improved by 23 games over the 1970 56-106 team. 72 and 77 were such fun years that they almost made up for the rest of the decade plus we had Harry Caray who was a fan just like us. We almost lost the team to Seattle after the 75 season but Veeck came in and saved the team from moving, those were the days of SOS, SAVE OUR SOX.

The 80s was the decade where the White Sox were going to become a class organization and an elite team for years to come, that was the line fed to us by JR and EE. We all know what hapenned after winning the division in 83, 1988 came along and we almost lost the team to St. Pete courtesy of JR and Co. I've detested JR ever since. I guess he gets a pass for 2005, but bottom line, he and his partners have been lousy owners, 5 postseason appearances in 35 years, I have no idea when the next one will be.

My point in all this and to your point is, as bad as some of those years were, they don't compare with what we've put up with since 2012. We've had 6 straight years of horrible baseball with at least another one to go and who knows, maybe more. The franchise is irrelevant in its own town, the fan base has dwindled, TV ratings are at the bottom of MLB and most baseball fans in the country hardly know we exist and would be hard pressed to name more than 1 player on the team.

Some closing points, I'm sort of like you as I grew up in the 50s and saw nothing but winning seasons and a visit to the WS in 1959, experienced my first losing season in 1968 and it hurt like hell. You gotta love the Pirate fans who went through the agony of 20 straight losing seasons before they became respectable again.

As you said the 70's were brutal except 72 and 77 but there was an excuse, neither owner had 2 nickels to rub together. That has not been the case with this ownership group.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
As you said the 70's were brutal except 72 and 77 but there was an excuse, neither owner had 2 nickels to rub together. That has not been the case with this ownership group.
I mentioned that Allyn and Veeck were short on cash in my second sentence. Veeck and his partners might have survived but couldn't compete with Free Agency.

As far as JR, he and his investors have done quite well what with having a sweetheart stadium deal while the fans have suffered with a lot more losses than we were promised in 1981, the Chicago White Sox Franchise was going to be class organization and an elite team. They have run the Sox like anything but a major market franchise and they are certainly not an class organization and an elite team.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

As far as JR, he and his investors have done quite well what with having a sweetheart stadium deal while the fans have suffered with a lot more losses than we were promised in 1981, the Chicago White Sox Franchise was going to be class organization and an elite team. They have run the Sox like anything but a major market franchise and they are certainly not an class organization and an elite team.

Its been mentioned that some fans feel better because this happened, well I dont know about you but it has and still nauseates me.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I mentioned that Allyn and Veeck were short on cash in my second sentence. Veeck and his partners might have survived but couldn't compete with Free Agency.

During the entire time JR's consortium has owned the team, they received a dividend payment only once: 2005. If they want to go to a game, they have to pay for their ticket(s). They only economic value they are seeing is an increase in the value of the team, but cannot cash in on it per the terms of the consortium. If they want out, they only get back their investment. If the team is sold, then they might see some money in their pockets, but that won't be happening.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
During the entire time JR's consortium has owned the team, they received a dividend payment only once: 2005. If they want to go to a game, they have to pay for their ticket(s). They only economic value they are seeing is an increase in the value of the team, but cannot cash in on it per the terms of the consortium. If they want out, they only get back their investment. If the team is sold, then they might see some money in their pockets, but that won't be happening.
Why not? The team was bought for 20 million dollars in 1981 and according to Forbes is now worth 1.5 billion dollars, that's a healthy profit putting it mildly and why wouldn't the investors see part of that huge profit? Hasn't JR stated that the Sox are to be sold when he dies but not the Bulls.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Why not? The team was bought for 20 million dollars in 1981 and according to Forbes is now worth 1.5 billion dollars, that's a healthy profit putting it mildly and why wouldn't the investors see part of that huge profit? Hasn't JR stated that the Sox are to be sold when he dies but not the Bulls.
It is in the agreement they signed when they join the consortium per the owner my friend knows. They knew going in there is little likelihood of any immediate financial reward before the team is sold. When the team changes hands, their payout will depend on how the deal is structured. For all we know, many of them might continue on as owners.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
It is in the agreement they signed when they join the consortium per the owner my friend knows. They knew going in there is little likelihood of any immediate financial reward before the team is sold. When the team changes hands, their payout will depend on how the deal is structured. For all we know, many of them might continue on as owners.
Wondered about that, who has final say on selling the club, what if a majority of the investors want to keep the club and not sell?