White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Dunn is the biggest Sox bust since......?
Alex Rios 15 5.81%
Nick Swisher 28 10.85%
Brian Anderson 7 2.71%
Billy Koch 41 15.89%
Jaime Navarro 36 13.95%
Albert Belle 11 4.26%
Steve Sax 12 4.65%
SportsVision 16 6.20%
Blue seats at New Comiskey 17 6.59%
Cory Snyder 3 1.16%
Other 15 5.81%
THIS POLL SUCKS CHURROS 57 22.09%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Never hunted a day in my 65 years, so I did a Google on ''Deer Stands".
Some very nice ones for sale.
No deer and elk in the wilds of Rogers Park?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
No deer and elk in the wilds of Rogers Park?
Actually we had a nice little zoo at Indian Boundary park on Lunt Ave and couple blocks west of Western ave. If you got up close and personal with the llamas, they would spit at you. Things you remember from your kid life.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Actually we had a nice little zoo at Indian Boundary park on Lunt Ave and couple blocks west of Western ave. If you got up close and personal with the llamas, they would spit at you. Things you remember from your kid life.
It was still operating when my oldest two kids were toddlers. They loved going there.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I wonder what the lowest season BA is for a batting title eligible player in the last twenty years or so. Dunn's is at .165 now. He'd have to go on a hot streak just to catch Dan Uggla at .175 for lowest BA this season.
The only everyday player that I noticed finishing last season with a batting average below .200 was Mark Reynolds with the Diamondbacks. He hit hit .198 in 499 at bats (596 plate appearances with 502 appearances needed to win the batting title). He led the National League with 211 strikeouts, well ahead of Dunn. He hit 36 home runs. The Diamondbacks traded him to the Orioles in an effort to cut down on their strikeouts and be a more consistent hitting, contact-hitting team that could contend in the NL West.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Congrats to Adam on the hr. It was nice to see you actually have some positive. Too bad we blew the lead. No one here has been more critical of Adam than I have, but it was nice to see him slow down his swing a little bit and make contact. Nice job today.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
WSI Prelate

No doubt about the disappointment that is Dunn's 1st half, but he definitely has a chance to redeem himself in the second half...say 25+ HRs and 50+ RBIs.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 AM
WSI High Priest

And he's back. One great game on the 4th. But since????
And back on our way toward .150. Hey that's a million dollars for each percent of ba. It's good money if you can get it.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM
WSI Personality

Well maybe he can turn it around.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

This guy is dunn before even stepping up to the plate. If he continues like this for the rest of the season (and he's given me no reason to think he won't), then this might go down as one of the worst signings in Sox history.

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 19/31 NHL cities
Attended Mass at 11/32 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: Mobile, AL 2/16)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
This guy is dunn before even stepping up to the plate. If he continues like this for the rest of the season (and he's given me no reason to think he won't), then this might go down as one of the worst signings in Sox history.
I was there on Monday when he had his big day, and it felt so great to actually cheer for the guy. Really, it was. He had a big homer and did his hat tipping thing for the crowd after the "single" *cough* error. I was also at the game tonight and he did his normal strikeout three or more times thing.

All i could keep thinking was, he is simply having a bad year. That does not mean he is going to keep playing this way his entire tenure here. Sometimes star players have bad years. I keep remembering Konerko's 2003: .234/18/65

Granted his track record wasn't as prolific as Dunn's but in the previous 4 seasons Paulie had averaged .290/25/90 - Most were calling for his head back then during his horrible season. That is season, singular. 2008 was pretty mediocre, but he only played 122 games and still had 22/62 on the power numbers.

Dunn picked a horrible year to have a bad one, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it could be his only "bad" year he ever has. Sometimes star guys have awful, terrible years. It is usually an anomaly. I'm as frustrated as everyone else, but man I just find it hard to believe that Dunn will continue to struggle this badly after this year is over. This one is bad, don't think he will come out of it. He will be hard pressed to get to 15 homers at this rate. Truly an appalling, mystifying season.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Can he get to .150 by the ASB?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
Can he get to .150 by the ASB?
I'm calling it the Dunn Boundary.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Number View Post
I was there on Monday when he had his big day, and it felt so great to actually cheer for the guy. Really, it was. He had a big homer and did his hat tipping thing for the crowd after the "single" *cough* error. I was also at the game tonight and he did his normal strikeout three or more times thing.

All i could keep thinking was, he is simply having a bad year. That does not mean he is going to keep playing this way his entire tenure here. Sometimes star players have bad years. I keep remembering Konerko's 2003: .234/18/65

Granted his track record wasn't as prolific as Dunn's but in the previous 4 seasons Paulie had averaged .290/25/90 - Most were calling for his head back then during his horrible season. That is season, singular. 2008 was pretty mediocre, but he only played 122 games and still had 22/62 on the power numbers.

Dunn picked a horrible year to have a bad one, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it could be his only "bad" year he ever has. Sometimes star guys have awful, terrible years. It is usually an anomaly. I'm as frustrated as everyone else, but man I just find it hard to believe that Dunn will continue to struggle this badly after this year is over. This one is bad, don't think he will come out of it. He will be hard pressed to get to 15 homers at this rate. Truly an appalling, mystifying season.
This goes way beyond a "bad year." Even during Konerko's worst year, he hit 70 points higher than Dunn (to this point). This is one of the worst performances by a former All-Star, for a half a season, that I have ever witnessed. It actually might be the worst performance of any Sox regular in my lifetime. I'm too lazy to look it up, but at the mid-way point, he has to have more strikeouts than anyone in franchise history. I also don't remember a Sox regular hitting .163 at the All-Star break.

The fact that the team counted on him heavily makes it even more painful. Quite simply, if we don't make the play-offs, the blame lies with Dunn followed closely by Rios. Even if they were having less-than-stellar years but still hovered 20 or even 30 points of their average, we would probably be at or near the top of this woeful division. AJ, Konerko, TCQ, TCM, Beckham, Morel, and even Pierre are playing decently and are probably at or above their career averages (talking offense only).

Right now, the Sox have basically 6-8 automatic outs a game. There probably isn't a team in either league that has 2 regular starters with worse offensive numbers than Rios and Dunn.

In summary, this poll becomes less laughable with each passing day.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
No doubt about the disappointment that is Dunn's 1st half, but he definitely has a chance to redeem himself in the second half...say 25+ HRs and 50+ RBIs.
If he hits 25 home runs I sure hope that he can knock in more than 50. Or, are you just assuming that he isn't gonna get any singles or doubles with men in scoring position and rarely hit a home run with men on base.

Yeah, that does sound like Dunn's career. Even if he hit 15 home runs and managed to bat .200 in the second half it would be a major improvement.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I have to look beyond the White Sox to come up with another high priced free agent that has flopped so badly. Barry Zito (SF) and Mike Hampton (Colorado) come to mind.

I know that Dunn still has 3.5 years to go on his Sox contract in which to turn things around, but IMO the window for helping this team will close a lot more quickly.

If the Sox continue to sputter through the end of the 2011 season, attendance is going to take a huge hit and that's going to be a problem for JR's "All In" $125M payroll. We have a number of guys locked up at high salaries beyond this year and some players (AJ, Peavy, Dunn, Floyd, Thornton) are getting raises for '12. Danks and Quentin will likely get raises too.

If season ticket sales take a hit after this year's suck-fest, then payroll will likely be slashed somewhere. That means saying goodbye to Jackson and perhaps Buehrle too. It might also mean the Sox trading away one of the few players on their roster who gets paid a lot AND is actually tradeable. There's not too many of those guys, so that may mean saying goodbye to Danks and/or Quentin.

It won't do the Sox much good if Dunn rebounds next year if the rest of the roster is riddled with holes.
Closed Thread