And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Shame we don't have Edwin Jackson anymore; could use the high heat.

The last I heard, about a month ago, Edwin Jackson had signed a minor league deal with the Orioles. Although it seems he's been around forever, he's only 33, but there is a lot of mileage on that arm.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Sox have a right to be secretive, and I have a right to react accordingly to their secrecy. Therefore, I'm assuming we won't see Rodon at all this year.

The Sox have developed a habit of saying "oh, it won't be long," and then it turns out to be long. Happened with Jackson and Lawrie last year. It's happened with Tilson and Rodon this year, and it's possible Shields might be headed in that direction, as well.

I'm just going to assume from now on that the Sox are full of ****, and that every injury is more serious than they are saying.
JB: Have you also noticed how quiet they've been on Putnam and Petricka as well?

Nothing "official" on Petricka since April 23 according to the Sox web site. They said he also had a lat strain when it happened the first week of the season...it's been five weeks now (and I thought I read last week from Phil Rogers??? where he claimed it was torn not strained...)

Putnam should be off the DL tomorrow...we'll see if anything happens.

If the Sox are going to try to get anything for these guys (even just a single A prospect) they've got to actually pitch.

UPDATE: I was curious so I went to the MLB site and checked the "official" injury list for all the teams...only one team has exactly ZERO players on the DL right now...naturally that team is the Cubs.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-03-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Shame we don't have Edwin Jackson anymore; could use the high heat.
Edwin Jackson? The Jackson I was referencing was Austin.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
JB: Have you also noticed how quiet they've been on Putnam and Petricka as well?

Nothing "official" on Petricka since April 23 according to the Sox web site. They said he also had a lat strain when it happened the first week of the season...it's been five weeks now (and I thought I read last week from Phil Rogers??? where he claimed it was torn not strained...)

Putnam should be off the DL tomorrow...we'll see if anything happens.

If the Sox are going to try to get anything for these guys (even just a single A prospect) they've got to actually pitch.

UPDATE: I was curious so I went to the MLB site and checked the "official" injury list for all the teams...only one team has exactly ZERO players on the DL right now...naturally that team is the Cubs.

Lip
Yeah, it does seem as if everything keeps coming up Cubbie, doesn't it? Other teams have players dropping like flies. The Cubs have been mostly immune to injuries.

But back to what matters, and that's White Sox baseball: I've been somewhat amused by these discussions about what Rick Hahn will do if the Sox remain on the fringes of contention through the first half of the season. That is not going to happen. This is a perilously thin club that now has five pitchers on the disabled list. (And it's only May 4.) Even a deep club would struggle to absorb this many injuries to its pitching staff.

The ballgames the Sox have won so far this year, most of them have been because of quality pitching. This team doesn't have the offense to outslug bad pitching -- they have to pitch well in order to compete. That's going to be a huge challenge with all these guys on the shelf. They will fall out of the race soon, and all this "What will Hahn do?" talk will fade back to discussions of what he might be able to get for Quintana, Robertson, Frazier, etc.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
This is a perilously thin club that now has five pitchers on the disabled list.
It's actually six pitchers on the DL.

Speaking of Frazier he was pulled from the lineup today because of a sore lower back.

The way things are going instead of him being "day to day" it'll be a herniated disc or something like that.

Lip
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It's actually six pitchers on the DL.

Speaking of Frazier he was pulled from the lineup today because of a sore lower back.

The way things are going instead of him being "day to day" it'll be a herniated disc or something like that.

Lip
I forgot about Minaya, but he's pitching in Charlotte now on a rehab assignment. It's not clear to me whether they intend to put him on the major league roster.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM
WSI Guru

Sam Panayotovich‏Verified account @spshoot 53m53 minutes ago

More progress for Carlos Rodon. The lefty is scheduled to throw a simulated game at Camelback Ranch today. #WhiteSox

This is good news...we'll see what happens.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:48 AM
WSI Guru

The Tribune had a story Sunday morning talking about the injured Sox pitchers and I found this quote from Shields confusing. here is the quote:

"The fans here only have one taste of me, and that's what I've done (in 2016)," he said at the end of last season. "Hopefully next year will be a different story."

Next year?

This after RR again said that both Shields and Rodon were "making progress." Didn't say anything about the other guys.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 AM
WSI Guru

OK NOW I get what he was saying. The comment was made at the end of the season last year and he was talking about going into this year.

Duh!

I would have erased, edited or corrected the original post but for some reason it wouldn't let me do it.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

The fact that they moved Rodon and Tilson to the 60-day injury list means season ending injury to me. It is not automatic but it is generally the case.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
The fact that they moved Rodon and Tilson to the 60-day injury list means season ending injury to me. It is not automatic but it is generally the case.
No, I believe it just opens spots on the 40-man.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-14-2017, 11:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
No, I believe it just opens spots on the 40-man.
Correct. And it's retroactive, so both Tilson and Rodon could come off the DL in June, if they were to be ready.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Shields will throw today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...514-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
About time in my view. He's got to pitch if the Sox are going to get anything for him.