White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Banned

Whenever I run into a cub fan, I give them a litmus test to see what their knowledge of baseball is. I will say something like "Oh cub fan? Well if I'd know that...." and they usually pick up the banter and smile. I then announce that I'm South Side all the way.

90% of them look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. They have no clue and most just change the subject to prevent looking ignorant.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Oneri Fleita fired as VP of player personnel.
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...9&feedID=10336
Another Hendry guy gone, but a price must be paid when what you've been doing isn't working.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=flubsessed
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
... This season has been successful for the Cubs in the long term plan. Do you agree with that?
Steve Rosenbloom says, no.

Rosenbloom, another biased, Flubsessed Sox fan that is henceforth barred from commenting on the Cubbies.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

Rosenbloom, another biased, Flubsessed Sox fan that is henceforth barred from commenting on the Cubbies.
Yes the Cubs roster right now sucks. Good point?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Just my opinion but I think this site and discussion in general would be better served by stopping the regular attacks on those who don't do or say as you wish. Maybe if posters dont conform to your concept consider letting it go.

Discuss points and not the person. I know thats what I'm going to endeavor to do from this point forward.
It's because of this attitude I take periodic sabbaticals from posting and just lurk around. I mean more than once I've thanked a poster who countered a lousy post of mine with a superior argument. I just get tired of reading this or that post and its author is irrelevant or unworthy. Some posters that I usually don't agree with still manage to hold a lot of my interest. I don't find it necessary to attack their manhood or intellect. You're going to get all different kinds of styles and abilities on a message board.

Last edited by SI1020; 08-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Nobody in their right mind would actually use Steve Rosenbloom as a defense of their argument. In a town full of bad sports writers, he's easily the worst. The guy doesn't even attempt to make coherernt arguments any more, just trolls on the Trib's website, pimping for pageviews.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Nobody in their right mind would actually use Steve Rosenbloom as a defense of their argument. In a town full of bad sports writers, he's easily the worst. The guy doesn't even attempt to make coherernt arguments any more, just trolls on the Trib's website, pimping for pageviews.
I don't know, too many people even on this board take him seriously. His act got old over ten years ago and is nothing more than a basement blogger. He hasn't even formed his own opinion in, well, probably never.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
That part about 1984 hits the nail right on the head. I used to not hate the Cubs. I was always a die hard Sox fan, but I hoped the Cubs would do well too (unless they played the Cardinals). I'd usually watch them lose in the afternoon, be a bit disappointed, but really look more forward to watching the Sox that night.

In 1983, the Sox were Winnin' Ugly, and this town was on fire with all the excitement it seemed. I don't really recall seeing a whole hell of a lot of Cubs fans walking around with their hats on or mouthing off. The Sox were the story, and rightly so. The Cubs were just kind of there, playing in front of 8-10K people at Wrigley, and that was it.

In 1984, it was like someone flipped a switch. The Sox were doing bad, and the Cubs were the big surprise. Obviously, like the previous year, the winning team gets more press and attention. But it was more than that. Suddenly, everyone seemed to come out of the woodwork in ways that didn't happen in 1983. There were people who couldn't tell the difference between a baseball and their own ass, who were suddenly HUGE Cubs fans, walking around with Cubs painters caps and t-shirts. Wrigley Field was suddenly Mardi Gras North. Instead of the usual small crowds who actually were fans, the park and surrounding neighborhood were overrun with people who were the very essence of what we still make fun of today. Thousands and thousands of "fans" who always loved the Cubs, but most of the time were just drunken idiots there to party, because the park and neighborhood became the new "in" place to be. It is still the same today, 25+ years later. Then, right then and there, when I started getting grief and hearing some pretty vile insults from these new fans about being a Sox fan, is when I started hating anything to do with the Cubs.
You hit the nail on the head. I didn't dislike the Cubs until 1984. I remember WGN showing a fan with a poster that said "Keep America beautiful, shoot a Sox fan." That was it for me.