White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,267
Default Nats hire Dave Martinez

As per the Tribune, the Nats will announce that Dave Martinez will be their next manager. Congrats to Dave -- he's waited a long time for this shot.
__________________
2017 Attendance Tracker: 7-7

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,278
Default

I thought teams were supposed to hold off on making hires until after the World Series ends ...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,957
Default

Well deserved.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,458
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I thought teams were supposed to hold off on making hires until after the World Series ends ...
I'm not sure if it was managerial hires or just big trades, or perhaps it's not a rule anymore? The Red Sox hired Alex Cora, and the Tigers hired Gardenhire recently too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:26 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
As per the Tribune, the Nats will announce that Dave Martinez will be their next manager. Congrats to Dave -- he's waited a long time for this shot.
He was someone who I would have given a shot as Sox manager. Happy to see him get a shot. I think the Nats made a good hire.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,331
Default

I would have preferred him to Renteria, think he is going to be a good one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 5,736
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would have preferred him to Renteria, think he is going to be a good one.
What do you know about him that every baseball executive in the last sixteen years did not?
__________________
2017 Attendance Tracker: 7 - 6

Apr 3/4 L
Apr 9 L
Apr 22 L
May 13 W
May 26 W
Jun 13 W
Jun 15 W
Jun 23 L
Jul 15 L
Jul 26 L
Aug 10 W
Sep 2 W
Sep 27 W

Next Game: Apr ??

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
What do you know about him that every baseball executive in the last sixteen years did not?
Valid question.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm not sure if it was managerial hires or just big trades, or perhaps it's not a rule anymore? The Red Sox hired Alex Cora, and the Tigers hired Gardenhire recently too.
The move is not official yet, and two years ago the Nats were all set to name Bud Black manager and then that fell apart.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
What do you know about him that every baseball executive in the last sixteen years did not?
I was never a big Renteria fan. The best compliment anyone on this board can find for him is that he speaks spanish.

When it comes to Martinez, I have always liked that he has a long history of working with younger players. He knows how to use analytics to his advantage but also has a bit of an old school baseball grit to him. I also think Maddon is a very good manager (more so in the player development and team side than in game) so serving under him won't hurt.

When it comes to why he was or was not hired elsewhere, that I don't know. I know the league as a whole thinks incredibly highly of him, and if he just wanted to be a manager who probably could have a few years ago. I think he picked his spot wisely.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,371
Default

Everyone except the 30 MLB GMs seem to think this guy is the best managerial prospect out there. And I'll admit, on paper this guy looks way better to me than Ausmus or Cora. I wonder what THEY know that we do not.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2017, 12:15 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Everyone except the 30 MLB GMs seem to think this guy is the best managerial prospect out there. And I'll admit, on paper this guy looks way better to me than Ausmus or Cora. I wonder what THEY know that we do not.
My guess is off-the-field issues.
__________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
My guess is off-the-field issues.

I agree
__________________
She's the foundation I lean on, My woman, my WIFE.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 5,736
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I was never a big Renteria fan. The best compliment anyone on this board can find for him is that he speaks spanish.

When it comes to Martinez, I have always liked that he has a long history of working with younger players. He knows how to use analytics to his advantage but also has a bit of an old school baseball grit to him. I also think Maddon is a very good manager (more so in the player development and team side than in game) so serving under him won't hurt.
After seeing some growth in the development of Anderson, Sanchez, the Garcias, Giolito, Fulmer, Lopez, and Moncada this year, I am curious about what deficiencies you see in Renteria's approach with younger players.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 PM
tstrike2000's Avatar
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Forest Moon of Endor
Posts: 7,002
Default

Maddon must be hitting the anti-depression meds hard.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.