White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It will take some time but I am very encouraged with the progress made in just the past year.
I agree.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

amazing what happens when you start to get high draft picks
Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Or more accurately, what happens when you actually start spending money and effort on draft picks and developing those guys. There is actual talent in the lower levels now, but there is room for improvement.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Or more accurately, what happens when you actually start spending money and effort on draft picks and developing those guys. There is actual talent in the lower levels now, but there is room for improvement.
We have not really spent that much money, more, other teams are all forced to play by the same rules. That said, I will credit the Sox with putting more resources out their internationally for sure and they didn't run from Rodon.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
We have not really spent that much money, more, other teams are all forced to play by the same rules. That said, I will credit the Sox with putting more resources out their internationally for sure and they didn't run from Rodon.
I think the point being now with the new CBA slotting system there is a level playing field that the Sox have been willing to participate in. I believe since the new system took affect the Sox have spent every single cent available to them in both the amateur draft and international free agent market. This is a far cry from the free for all system of before, when the Sox simply refused to spend money on the draft (didn't they spend the least amount of money on player bonuses for like a decade before the new CBA?)

So no, they're not blowing teams away in draft spending like Theo's old Red Sox did, but the fact that they're spending money on par with the rest of the league is a huge step forward for the organization.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think the point being now with the new CBA slotting system there is a level playing field that the Sox have been willing to participate in. I believe since the new system took affect the Sox have spent every single cent available to them in both the amateur draft and international free agent market. This is a far cry from the free for all system of before, when the Sox simply refused to spend money on the draft (didn't they spend the least amount of money on player bonuses for like a decade before the new CBA?)

So no, they're not blowing teams away in draft spending like Theo's old Red Sox did, but the fact that they're spending money on par with the rest of the league is a huge step forward for the organization.
Oh I do agree. It seemed before that JR basically did not like the system and took his ball and went home before. Now we are not, we are even negotiating with Boras (a big plus of having Hahn).

But you were right, in the past, we were being outspent (significantly) by the Pirates and Royals, and not just due to high picks.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Oh I do agree. It seemed before that JR basically did not like the system and took his ball and went home before. Now we are not, we are even negotiating with Boras (a big plus of having Hahn).

But you were right, in the past, we were being outspent (significantly) by the Pirates and Royals, and not just due to high picks.
Oh yeah, absolutely, no doubt in my mind that if the current slotting system was not in place, 0% chance the Sox would have drafted Rodon this June. Probably would have taken a guy like Nola, and it would have been another missed opportunity for a team in desperate need of MILB quality.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice night for Tim Anderson in the AFL:

Anderson paces Desert Dogs in AFL rout

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...