White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:59 AM
WSI Prelate

I usually would agree that .280-.700 from a top 4 pick in the draft is a bust.

But, his D is a factor here. He could still be a 2.5-3 WAR player with that line.

The thing is, I think his D is currently being over rated. He isn't going to be a perennial gold glover. He came out of college with a 55 grade field tool. He would have to see that jump to like 65 to be what some people are saying.

I wanted to compare him to Dee Gordon as a floor, but with a 60 grade run, he is never going to steal 50-60 bases. Dee is a 75-80 run.

So his floor is a poor man's Dee Gordon, which again, back to my original point, is useful, but not an all-star. Simply put, Madrigal's power not developing atleast a little, even if that is gap to gap as a doubles hitter, is really bad.

So what his floor, it kind of all says the same thing:

Ian Kinsler without the power
Dee Gordon with less speed
DJ LeMahieu with less power and not quite the glove

That is what concerns me, his floor isn't what people are thinking.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 PM
WSI Personality

I'm pretty sure Madrigal had 60 fielding and 70 run when he was drafted. He's also been injured and wrist injuries can take a long while to fully recover from. He still gets on base at a great clip and I think he can be a good doubles machine.

Let's give him a full season in the minors at this point.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

On another note, Mendick bears watching. Winners aren't built on blue-chip prospects alone.
Yes, AAA pitching is spotty, but if Cordell and my man Delmonico get chances, why not this guy? The Sox have got to hit on one of these types at some point, don't they?

Agreed that we need to find success with some prospects who aren't "blue-chip". I just don't think Mendick is one of those guys. IMO, there are other B-level prospects who are more likely to amount to something. Perhaps Jimmy Lambert or Bryce Bush or Davis Martin?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:20 PM
WSI Guru

Any news of Robert?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Any news of Robert?
James Fegan advising he's in the lineup tonight.

Quote:
James Fegan

Verified account

@JRFegan

Luis Robert is back in action tonight

1:01 PM - 26 Apr 2019
Link
Old 04-26-2019, 06:15 PM
WSI Guru

Default *OFFICIAL 2019 Minor league Thread Part II*

This is very interesting if true:

Something to keep an eye on. Instead of giving top prospects maximum minor-league exposure, #WhiteSox have talked about bringing them up earlier to hopefully takes lumps and then take off

— Scot Gregor (@scotgregor) April 26, 2019

Remember what I've pointed out as to being told by a front office member, the Sox have to show progress this year or the heat on the front office rises. Could this be a "panic" move (for wont of a better word...)on their part because they are getting the sense the fan base in general is getting more concerned?

And who could they be thinking about save for Cease? Maybe Robert, Burdi, Collins??
Old 04-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Something to keep an eye on. Instead of giving top prospects maximum minor-league exposure, #WhiteSox have talked about bringing them up earlier to hopefully takes lumps and then take off

Remember what I've pointed out as to being told by a front office member, the Sox have to show progress this year or the heat on the front office rises. Could this be a "panic" move (for wont of a better word...)on their part because they are getting the sense the fan base in general is getting more concerned?

And who could they be thinking about save for Cease? Maybe Robert, Burdi, Collins??
Wouldn't be surprised if Collins, Burdi and Cease get some time in the majors this year. I expect the next callup to be Covey to take Santana's slot or they give those starts to Banuelos and put Covey and Fulmer in long relief.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-26-2019, 06:36 PM

Palka and Collins went back-to-back in the first.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Oh please God no. This is absolutely the worst thing to do. It makes the rebuilding in 2017 and 2018 meaningless if they are just going to rush through it anyway.

If the front office wanted results this year, they should have spent the money to get Manny Machado. Failing that, they should shut their cakeholes and stop issuing unfunded mandates.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This would be like pulling the lever to ludicrous speed on the rebuild. Bad idea.

Jesus, if true, this front office just went into full blown panic mode.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I'm pretty sure Madrigal had 60 fielding and 70 run when he was drafted. He's also been injured and wrist injuries can take a long while to fully recover from. He still gets on base at a great clip and I think he can be a good doubles machine.

Let's give him a full season in the minors at this point.
While I agree with most your points - you are wrong on his 20/80...just google it
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Why do we have two 2019 Minor League part II threads going?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Why do we have two 2019 Minor League part II threads going?
I don't know and didn't notice. I guess Lip just missed the open one when he came to post and started what he thought was the new thread. They are merged now. You can shoot me a PM when you see something like this and I'll merge it when I get around to it.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Charlotte wins 10-9 behind good nights from Tilson and Collins. Nothing to see from the pitching staff and the only player of theoretical note - Viera was bad though he recorded a save.

Birmingham is playing a DH. First game not much to talk about though Rutherford had a dinger and Sheets and Adolfo both had hits in a 7 inning game that the team only had 5 hits total. Booker was 0/3 with 3 K.

Second game just ended. Lampert had another nice outing 6.0 with 6K and only two solo shots given up on 4 hits and a walk. Gonzalez had two hits and both RBI.

The Dash got smoked 7-0 with Robert taking the golden sombero in his return to action 0/4 with 4K. Team sent 28 men to the plate total and had 3 hits. The opposing pitcher DL Hall appears to be headed up the ladder fast. He's 20 and in A+ already with 23K in 15 IP so far this season. So it might be more the caliber of pitcher they faced than anything else that led to this bad outing.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Any starter from the #4 pick is an okay return. This expectation that every single top 5 pick (or wherever you draw the line) should be a guaranteed All Star caliber player is simply poor logic and does not match the history of baseball drafting in ANY WAY.
Teams better stop tanking then. Competent front offices can get okay players cheap (emphasis on competent).
Closed Thread