White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When Should Eloy Jimenez Be Called Up?
Immediately 30 27.78%
Spring, 2019 39 36.11%
September 1st 2018 27 25.00%
When they run out of churros in Charlotte 12 11.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think they should ignore it.

If the plan is never to sign an international free agent prospect again, then this seems like a solid plan.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
If the plan is never to sign an international free agent prospect again, then this seems like a solid plan.
Yeah because guys like Robert and Abreu have been so horribly treated by the Sox...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-30-2018, 08:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
In light of this soap opera do you bring him up in September?
If the Sox feel they could be a contender next year then they need to bring him up so he gets a taste of Major League Baseball and pitching.
I'd like to see him brought up regardless and see just how good the kid is. I'm sure they can work out something with a contract extension.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-30-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 PM
WSI High Priest

How can Eloy file a grievance over something that cannot even be determined until a few weeks into next season? Plus, why would the team promote Kopech and ignore the service time concern only to turn around and do the exact opposite with Eloy?

I honestly think Eloy would have been up here in September had his agent kept his piehole shut. Now a promotion will make the team look like chumps who caved in when a prized prospect’s representatives started grousing.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah because guys like Robert and Abreu have been so horribly treated by the Sox...

Nobody is signing with a team willingly if they know they're going to screw them out of money while lying about it publicly and keeping the player in the dark. Nobody. You're fooling yourself.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Nobody is signing with a team willingly if they know they're going to screw them out of money while lying about it publicly and keeping the player in the dark. Nobody. You're fooling yourself.
And you know this how?

You don't think the team with the highest signing bonus will win the bid for the next international phenom? If the Sox come in with the biggest offer, the player will sign here. It's the only guaranteed money they will ever get, they are going to take the biggest pile they can.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And you know this how?

You don't think the team with the highest signing bonus will win the bid for the next international phenom? If the Sox come in with the biggest offer, the player will sign here. It's the only guaranteed money they will ever get, they are going to take the biggest pile they can.
The biggest pile is kind of my reasoning why they won't sign here just for slightly more "up front" money.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Immediately. Give a little boost to this team who's decided to flip a switch and started playing winning baseball. I know this year is toast but it would be a nice way to end the season.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
2018 WSI Dynasty Baseball Runner-Up
Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kris Bryant actually filed a grievance, and what's happened? Haven't heard a peep about it in years. Let's put this in perspective: 7 years ago, we were despairing about Adam Dunn and Ozzie was still in the dugout.

Let's say they don't call him up. What's he gonna do, not play? Be an ******* in the clubhouse because he didn't get there sooner? If the team is good, they'll get over it. A lot can happen in 7 years. For all we know he won't even have the same agent in 7 years.

I've said it over and over again. If he's anywhere close to his ceiling, he's going to get offered enough that whatever feel-good discount I doubt would even be there will be blown away. At the end of the day, they'll either pay up or they won't. We're talking about potentially buying another year of a playoff window, with the only long-term cost being the remote potential for a seven year grudge that might not make a difference anyhow. I'll take that deal 10 times out of 10.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
It is OBVIOUS that this is being done to maximize his service time with the White Sox. Nothing wrong with that. As one poster pointed out, all teams do this, including the Cubs with Kris Bryant. Why are Jimenez's agents screaming about this now? They should know the score.

As to the agent calling Hahn a "liar"-sure. He is waging a battle in the media over this and wants the public on his side. What specifically did Hahn lie about?

As to people who are hyperventilating over what will happen six years from now, color me shocked. Just a few weeks ago when Rodon came out strong the topic of conversation became how Boras was his agent so there was no way the Sox had a chance of extending or re-signing him.

This whole situation is utter bull****.
Amen!

And yeah, it's bad enough that some Sox fans want to turn good outings by Rodon into a countdown until the day he "inevitably" walks as a FA in Nov. 2021. But, i guess that's not enough doom-saying. Now they're considering a guy as good as gone once he hits FA before he even plays a single game in the majors.

Oh woe is us! The Sox will never sign players who hit free agency and they're the only team to take service time into consideration for a call up!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Kris Bryant actually filed a grievance, and what's happened? Haven't heard a peep about it in years. Let's put this in perspective: 7 years ago, we were despairing about Adam Dunn and Ozzie was still in the dugout.

Let's say they don't call him up. What's he gonna do, not play? Be an ******* in the clubhouse because he didn't get there sooner? If the team is good, they'll get over it. A lot can happen in 7 years. For all we know he won't even have the same agent in 7 years.

I've said it over and over again. If he's anywhere close to his ceiling, he's going to get offered enough that whatever feel-good discount I doubt would even be there will be blown away. At the end of the day, they'll either pay up or they won't. We're talking about potentially buying another year of a playoff window, with the only long-term cost being the remote potential for a seven year grudge that might not make a difference anyhow. I'll take that deal 10 times out of 10.

Stop making sense!

The hyperbole in this thread is breathtaking....even by Sox fan standards.

Eloy should stage a one-man walk out? The Sox will never sign another international free agent again? Unreal.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Lets see if I can navigate this by agreeing with both posts below w/o looking like a greater idiot than normal. :')

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If the Sox feel they could be a contender next year then they need to bring him up so he gets a taste of Major League Baseball and pitching.
I'd like to see him brought up regardless and see just how good the kid is. I'm sure they can work out something with a contract extension.
I totally agree with you. I feel he would have been brought up here if not for the fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
How can Eloy file a grievance over something that cannot even be determined until a few weeks into next season? Plus, why would the team promote Kopech and ignore the service time concern only to turn around and do the exact opposite with Eloy?

I honestly think Eloy would have been up here in September had his agent kept his piehole shut. Now a promotion will make the team look like chumps who caved in when a prized prospect’s representatives started grousing.
A wonderful post Mohoney: I could not say it better.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Saying it doesn't change the grievance process. No court or arbiter is going to look at Eloy's numbers and say he had work to do. It's service time, and it's beyond obvious to the point that he's probably going to be awarded free agency sooner once it gets to that point in the courts.

Lying is the accusation.
No, he isn’t going to win. He is going to file his grievance like every other player has and because Hahn has been smart in his words he is going to lose like every other player has. This is all formality
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Kris Bryant actually filed a grievance, and what's happened? Haven't heard a peep about it in years.
Um...no. The case is still in process, and still comes up in the news cycle. Bryant has even talked about it when he was made player rep. Case is still pending. There are a few of these going to the NLRB. Generally these things take years. It'll be ruled before his last year of arbitration eligibility, probably right before. Could make him a free agent early. My guess is it does.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Um...no. The case is still in process, and still comes up in the news cycle. Bryant has even talked about it when he was made player rep. Case is still pending. There are a few of these going to the NLRB. Generally these things take years. It'll be ruled before his last year of arbitration eligibility, probably right before. Could make him a free agent early. My guess is it does.
Have there been other players who won these grievances and were granted early Free Agency?