White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
IWhen have the sox had success EVER in rebuilding someone's swing EVER.... EVER?
Easy. Matt Albers.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Callis on the Sox Machine podcast says he thinks the Sox will go with Abrams. He's spoken with people in the Sox organization and they're high on him, and also that the team feels set at the corners with some of guys already in the system (e.g., Sheets/Burger/Collins as 1B options).

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/05/2...th-jim-callis/
I think it's less than 50% chance that any of those guys are the answer at 1b in the future. I think I read also that Vaughn thinks he can play 3b or LF too. Now whether he actually can is another story, but possible versatility is attractive when combined with his elite bat.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Also - the Idea 1b is set in the future and that would be a reason to pass on the best hitter in the draft (not best player, but by far the best bat) is just nonsensical.

Gavin Sheets has 13 MILB homers in 783 ABs and is sporting a sub .700 OPS in AA. Zack Collins is on his 3rd year of hitting below .250, which you can take from a catcher but not a 1b, and Burger is coming off 2 major injuries. All to draft a future .260 hitting CF who can steal bases. I really hope Callis is putting up a smoke screen, though I have no idea why.
Yeah, that was what I was getting at. 1B is pretty much wide open after Abreu gets traded or relegated to full-time DH so it might be that rare situation where need and BPA are aligned.

I want no part of C.J. Abrams. Evidently, Kenny has been sighted at a few games to scout him so this might be more than just Callis throwing stuff at the wall. Also, supposedly the Sox haven't scouted Witt at all which seems hard to believe considering he could very well slide to them at #3.

Could the Sox be considering Abrams with the thought of moving him to 2B since presumably Anderson is the SS for the foreseeable future? Is it a hedge in case Madrigal doesn't pan out?

Abrams is like a slightly faster Madrigal without the collegiate track record and shakier defense. No thanks.

Last edited by Harry Chappas; 05-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That was 30 years ago though. I think his point is the Sox as an organization haven't had a lot of success with that recently is a reason to avoid drafting a guy with whom you'd do that now.

I apologize for misinterpreting the word "ever", capitalized and repeated.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Yeah, that was what I was getting at. 1B is pretty much wide open after Abreu gets traded or relegated to full-time DH so it might be that rare situation where need and BPA are aligned.

I want no part of C.J. Abrams. Evidently, Kenny has been sighted at a few games to scout him so this might be more than just Callis throwing stuff at the wall. Also, supposedly the Sox haven't scouted Witt at all which seems hard to believe considering he could very well slide to them at #3.

Could the Sox be considering Abrams with the thought of moving him to 2B since presumably Anderson is the SS for the foreseeable future? Is it a hedge in case Madrigal doesn't pan out?

Abrams is like a slightly faster Madrigal without the collegiate track record and shakier defense. No thanks.
And a 50/55 potential hit tool, not 60/65
Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Also - the Idea 1b is set in the future and that would be a reason to pass on the best hitter in the draft (not best player, but by far the best bat) is just nonsensical.

Gavin Sheets has 13 MILB homers in 783 ABs and is sporting a sub .700 OPS in AA. Zack Collins is on his 3rd year of hitting below .250, which you can take from a catcher but not a 1b, and Burger is coming off 2 major injuries. All to draft a future .260 hitting CF who can steal bases. I really hope Callis is putting up a smoke screen, though I have no idea why.
If the sox are drafting based on "need" (which they have no business doing, but regularly do; perceived need anyway) CF is blocked way more than is 1B. No one is blocking 1B.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post

Well, Hahn's draft classes and young player acquisitions already exceed anything KW achieved farm wise.
LOL no they haven't. As I pointed out already, Marcus Semien, whom Rick Hahn dumped, has a higher career WAR than Hahn's drafts combined, including Anderson was really a KW pick.
As for scoring the compensation for Sale and Q in hahn's column, I mean, come on.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
LOL no they haven't. As I pointed out already, Marcus Semien, whom Rick Hahn dumped, has a higher career WAR than Hahn's drafts combined, including Anderson was really a KW pick.
As for scoring the compensation for Sale and Q in hahn's column, I mean, come on.
Please stop constantly talking up Semien like he's some great player we traded away. Since going to Oakland he is a .723 OPS and 99 OPS+, with OK defense and speed. The definition of average. I do not regret or miss him for a second.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Please stop constantly talking up Semien like he's some great player we traded away. Since going to Oakland he is a .723 OPS and 99 OPS+, with OK defense and speed. The definition of average. I do not regret or miss him for a second.
He would be sitting on the bench behind Anderson if he was still here. It is a false narrative to even suggest that the Sox miss having him on the roster.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

And when you reply you give the hijack legs...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Youíre right. I apologize. Iíll put away the troll food.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Sometimes you have to take down the falsehoods and myths.

For instance:

Quote:
including Anderson was really a KW pick.
Considering Anderson was drafted in 2013 and Hahn took over in 2012, this statement is 100% false.

There are many myths/legends/fables/fallacies about White Sox baseball that get repeated so often that they become "true" in many people's minds....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

While I am on board with the idea of not drafting Abrams, let's not pretend he's some sort of talent-less hack that would be the biggest reach in the history of reaches. The kid is quite a talent and is in most everybody's top 5.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I really hope Callis is putting up a smoke screen, though I have no idea why.
I think that we've been through enough Hostetler/Hahn drafts to know that they keep their intentions close to the vest. People were jumping off the ledge last year because it was well known that the Sox were going to draft Brady Singer.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 AM
WSI Personality

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...aft-japan-deal

Story about how the Braves 8th pick from last season has decided to go play in Japan for 1) more money and 2) the chance of entering free agency earlier than expected. I don't blame him one bit. The MLBPA spent years of giving up money and service to the younger players to placate older players who "earned it" (they didn't). Now they're seeing what happens.
Closed Thread