Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2018, 11:03 PM
WSI Guru

Saw a tweet earlier today (I think it was from Merkin) and it stated the rumor is the Sox will be on an FM station for 2018.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Been a hell of a year for Sox marketing.
Lost radio outlet and major beer sponsor in 12 months.
I have no idea if any of the 29 other teams have neither Bud nor Miller.
Marketing can use a rebuilt more than front office!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:15 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
I have a feeling the guy on top is making decisions in both.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Been a hell of a year for Sox marketing.
Lost radio outlet and major beer sponsor in 12 months.
I have no idea if any of the 29 other teams have neither Bud nor Miller.
Bud and Miller are losing market share. Now that a wide variety of better tasting beers from smaller brewers are more available on tap and in grocery stores, millions are abandoning the watered-down horse piss. The deal with Modelo is way better for the Sox than would be a deal with Bud or Miller.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Heres my thoughts on the Sox radio deal. I look at radio as a means to market the club. A station should have been obtained that is listened to by baseball fans. Part of the deal should have been White Sox shows throughout the year. The Sox manager, front office, broadcast team, coaches, players should either have their own shows or be involved in other radio broadcasts. But the Sox owner looked for a station that would pay the most just to broadcast games. WLS gave nothing else to promote the Sox. It was a penny wise dollar foolish move. Now they will probably be stuck with a FM station that will be even worse than WLS in promoting the Sox.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Heres my thoughts on the Sox radio deal. I look at radio as a means to market the club. A station should have been obtained that is listened to by baseball fans. Part of the deal should have been White Sox shows throughout the year. The Sox manager, front office, broadcast team, coaches, players should either have their own shows or be involved in other radio broadcasts. But the Sox owner looked for a station that would pay the most just to broadcast games. WLS gave nothing else to promote the Sox. It was a penny wise dollar foolish move. Now they will probably be stuck with a FM station that will be even worse than WLS in promoting the Sox.
I feel like that is the hallmark of Reinsdorf's tenure. The radio contract doesn't mean as much as it did 20, even 10 years ago, but it is still another opportunity to market the team. It's a chance to maybe reach some people who wouldn't otherwise necessarily be interested in the White Sox.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'd guess the FM in question is WCKG 105.9. They could easily work the Sox in there.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Completely agree with that analysis.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I'd guess the FM in question is WCKG 105.9. They could easily work the Sox in there.

WCKG is 102.3. If this is true have you looked at the coverage area?

https://www.wckg.com/
Old 01-28-2018, 03:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I have to preface this my saying I try to avoid getting into debates on here anymore. It's just not worth the time.

Nobody here knows the language of the Sox contract with WLS.

Every team in major league baseball and every professional sports team who is bidding out there broadcast rights will take the highest bid. The Sox did nothing incorrect or morally wrong.

The Sox do have a weekly show on WLS called White Sox Weekly. The station did market the team, to the extent that even a couple of weeks ago they had some kind of joint vacation/cruise with Sox players and Steve Dahl's show.

The Sox can't be blamed because Cumulus Media is bleeding money and trying to get out of contract with the Bulls, their purchase of the WLUP, and other ventures in addition to the Sox contract. The entire dynamic of sports broadcasting contracts is changing with online streaming.

Going into the current contract, they knew they weren't going to be on a sports radio station, but honestly, that kind of venture creates a bad situation for the team if things aren't going well on the field. It creates more harm than good to have Dan Bernstein ripping the team to shreds for two hours a day leading into the game than having a politcal talk show on the air before instead. It is a contentious situation. The Sox dealt with this on AM 1000 years before with Mariotti ripping them to shreads and then the afternoon guys (Carmen and Silvy) trying to railroad JR during an interview on Opening Day 2005. They moved to the Score and saw North drag Ozzie through the mud and then Cooper made a fool out of himself with Mulley and Hanley. Not saying that is the reason they moved to WLS, but I'm suggesting this concept that being on another station that caters to baseball fans is idealistic at best and has been problematic most of the time.

This radio situation involves unfortunate luck, but I don't place any blame on the Sox.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

He's talking about 105.9, which is now WBBM's FM station, and has carried overflow games in the past (usually during Bulls/Blackhawks playoff time in the Spring).
Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Quote:

He's talking about 105.9, which is now WBBM's FM station, and has carried overflow games in the past (usually during Bulls/Blackhawks playoff time in the Spring).
...and to clarify, 105.9's call letters used to be WCKG. I believe that's where the confusion is coming from.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I have to preface this my saying I try to avoid getting into debates on here anymore. It's just not worth the time.

Every team in major league baseball and every professional sports team who is bidding out there broadcast rights will take the highest bid. The Sox did nothing incorrect or morally wrong.

The Sox do have a weekly show on WLS called White Sox Weekly. The station did market the team, to the extent that even a couple of weeks ago they had some kind of joint vacation/cruise with Sox players and Steve Dahl's show.

The Sox can't be blamed because Cumulus Media is bleeding money and trying to get out of contract with the Bulls, their purchase of the WLUP, and other ventures in addition to the Sox contract. The entire dynamic of sports broadcasting contracts is changing with online streaming.

Going into the current contract, they knew they weren't going to be on a sports radio station, but honestly, that kind of venture creates a bad situation for the team if things aren't going well on the field. It creates more harm than good to have Dan Bernstein ripping the team to shreds for two hours a day leading into the game than having a politcal talk show on the air before instead. It is a contentious situation. The Sox dealt with this on AM 1000 years before with Mariotti ripping them to shreads and then the afternoon guys (Carmen and Silvy) trying to railroad JR during an interview on Opening Day 2005. They moved to the Score and saw North drag Ozzie through the mud and then Cooper made a fool out of himself with Mulley and Hanley. Not saying that is the reason they moved to WLS, but I'm suggesting this concept that being on another station that caters to baseball fans is idealistic at best and has been problematic most of the time.

This radio situation involves unfortunate luck, but I don't place any blame on the Sox.
Well stated and couldn't agree more and this is coming from someone as you know who has never been enamored with the current ownership.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-28-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:

At least the Sox were talked about and had relevancy. Bad publicity is better than none. On WLS except for Steve Dahl, and I didnt even know he as on WLS, Im sure they werent even mentioned. Are you sure that every other club takes the highest bid?

Finally, I am not a savvy billionaire businessman but if I was, I think I would have known the financial state of the media company before I signed a contract with them.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
At least the Sox were talked about and had relevancy. Bad publicity is better than none. On WLS except for Steve Dahl, and I didnt even know he as on WLS, Im sure they werent even mentioned. Are you sure that every other club takes the highest bid?

Finally, I am not a savvy billionaire businessman but if I was, I think I would have known the financial state of the media company before I signed a contract with them.
Again, there was a show called White Sox Weekly on WLS, so “I’m sure they weren’t even mentioned” is incorrect.

This would fall into that category of you can never win a debate on the internet, as people don’t care to read or consider a different viewpoint.